ObamaCare success... Not!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Obama, Nancy and Harry did a mistake, they counted to private market place to deliver their promise. The govt needs to take the healthcare over and be the single healthcare provided. True, millions will loose their jobs but they now will have insurance and govt can provide food to the unemployed by nationalizing the insurance companies for years to come.

So tell us DesiPower, what does Obama's rectum taste like?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I agree. However, I'm very jaded in my opinion of the average American sheep. I truly hope that this is the kick in the balls that the American people need to finally get them enraged at what our government is doing to them. Only time will tell.
Personally I doubt it. If millions are left without insurance, the official party line will be that private health insurance doesn't work. If Obamacare is somehow fixed, then the bureaucracy can continue gradually tightening the screws with higher claims mandates, more freebies, and more expensive regulations until it doesn't work. Huge government programs develop their own constituencies and lobbyists, and to date the Pubbies have refused to recognize the good that Obamacare does. Unless and until they recognize this and craft legislation that duplicates this good without the bad, I don't see them getting majority support to overthrow it. Certainly that won't happen under Obama, the GOP has never had even a 60 vote Senate much less a 66.

LOL I detected it. But you have to admit that much the same things are said here supposedly in earnest.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
20131020_obamacare1.jpg

Too many bought into this failure. Its too late to go back now, I'm afraid. Looks like government will own some part of your healthcare one way or another.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Both sides are responsible for a great deal of FUD on ACA. It is too early to say what will end up happening with it all.

That said, at the moment, this is growing into a stunning catastrophe. IF things do not turn around soon it will be a generational fustercluck for the dems. This legislation is making huge changes to something near and dear to millions of people.

The question is whether the people made better by it are or are not out outnumbered in number and voice to those screwed over. I suspect a person recently screwed by it is going to be more vocal than one recently benefitting from it.

Most of the media has long since given up on trying to paint this in a good light. Obama has put himself in a corner on it.

Oct 16, 1999
A lot of this difficulty and FUD is transitional and will be largely settled (one way or the other for most everyone affected) first quarter next year. But even if 2014 turns entirely into "who do you trust to fix Obamacare?" (and the narrative is becoming fix, not abolish) I don't expect Republicans will run away with it.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I'm impressed - she was actually able to find all that information. Wow, somewhere the system is working. It's not working for us.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Huge government programs develop their own constituencies and lobbyists, and to date the Pubbies have refused to recognize the good that Obamacare does. Unless and until they recognize this and craft legislation that duplicates this good without the bad, I don't see them getting majority support to overthrow it.

The problem is that people like the parts that involve them getting benefits and dislike the parts that involve them paying for the benefits.

It should be clear why you cannot craft a build keeping the good and throwing out the bad.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Read today that the payment system has not yet been built. First payment is due in less than one month. Read today that the administration was warned in late March of problems with web site.

Obama should step down, move to Hawaii and let Joey McMensa take over. I take back what I've said about Biden. He's smarter than Obama. Exponentially smarter. Which doesn't make him all that bright but he is smarter.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The problem is that people like the parts that involve them getting benefits and dislike the parts that involve them paying for the benefits.

It should be clear why you cannot craft a build keeping the good and throwing out the bad.
Maybe I'm Pollyanna-ish, but I think most Americans would be okay with everyone's health insurance/tax-based health care expenditures going up 10% - 20% to cover those Americans who are not currently covered. Allowing young Americans to put off growing up until 26, disallowing lifetime caps or pre-existing conditions denials, and disallowing coverage to be dropped after an illness or injury is contracted probably aren't terribly expensive in and of themselves since such care still has to be funded by raising everyone's premiums.

Nov 30, 2006
Read today that the payment system has not yet been built. First payment is due in less than one month. Read today that the administration was warned in late March of problems with web site.

Obama should step down, move to Hawaii and let Joey McMensa take over. I take back what I've said about Biden. He's smarter than Obama. Exponentially smarter. Which doesn't make him all that bright but he is smarter.
It appears that the backend still needs some serious work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtoInCtk74E

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe I'm Pollyanna-ish, but I think most Americans would be okay with everyone's health insurance/tax-based health care expenditures going up 10% - 20% to cover those Americans who are not currently covered. Allowing young Americans to put off growing up until 26, disallowing lifetime caps or pre-existing conditions denials, and disallowing coverage to be dropped after an illness or injury is contracted probably aren't terribly expensive in and of themselves since such care still has to be funded by raising everyone's premiums.

Really? I thought the idea was that the young and healthy were supposed to subsidize the old and sick. Putting off "growing up" until age 26 greatly shrinks the pool of young, healthy payers.

If we consider young and healthy to mean up until around age 40, changing the age of "growing up" to 26 cuts out about 25% of our payers.

Good plan, Democrats.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Really? I thought the idea was that the young and healthy were supposed to subsidize the old and sick. Putting off "growing up" until age 26 greatly shrinks the pool of young, healthy payers.

Not to mention it assures generations to come will be familiar with, not to mention have no problems with, living off the fruit of other's labor.

Mama's basement no longer carries the same stigma.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001

Err wait you think most americans are ok paying 10%-20% more in taxes to cover other americans? IS this a joke? I could stand to pay 3% more to cover kids under 18. I sure as hell am not ok paying 10-20% more. I'm already taxed up the ass being a 29 year older single person making close to six figures. I'm not willing to give up another 10-20k a year. that's insane.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Err wait you think most americans are ok paying 10%-20% more in taxes to cover other americans? IS this a joke? I could stand to pay 3% more to cover kids under 18. I sure as hell am not ok paying 10-20% more. I'm already taxed up the ass being a 29 year older single person making close to six figures. I'm not willing to give up another 10-20k a year. that's insane.

What? You don't want to pay more of your "fair share"? Then you must be a fat cat/1% that suck the blood out of the common folks. <sarcasm>

On the serious side, I am with you. I am single, make decent money and being taxed out of the waazoo and I do NOT want to pay a dime more to the government. Those that want to help out them poors, be my guest and donate more or all of your money to uncle Sam.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I think he meant 10-20% on top of current health care costs. Not that it's an insignificant amount of money, considering the costs of even a basic health plan for singles. It means hundreds if not a thousand dollars or more a year.

Frankly, any insurance based fix is bound to fail. The problem is the cost of healthcare and not who pays for it, which is why Obamacare was a major failure from Day 1.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
What? You don't want to pay more of your "fair share"? Then you must be a fat cat/1% that suck the blood out of the common folks. <sarcasm>

On the serious side, I am with you. I am single, make decent money and being taxed out of the waazoo and I do NOT want to pay a dime more to the government. Those that want to help out them poors, be my guest and donate all of your money to uncle Sam.

It's incredibly frustrating. Apparently I don't deserve to drive a nice car because thats what that kind of tax would mean to me. But realistically I worked hard for it, I deserve it why the hell should I have to give up even more? I'm already paying into SS and won't get near the benefit of what I pay in.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So your proposal would be different than Obamacare how exactly?:hmm:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

In fairness, he didn't say 10%-20% tax increase; he said:

health insurance/tax-based health care expenditures going up 10% - 20%

But otherwise, I agree with you. I don't have much of a problem ensuring that kids under 18 are covered, but it isn't my role in life to ensure that Billy Bob can sit on his ass watching TV and drinking Natty Light in the comfort of his trailer while I'm footing the bill for his health care. As cold as it may sound, my view is that if you don't contribute income taxes, you don't get covered (barring exceptions like short term/long term disability, while receiving unemployment, etc).

And yes, before the usual suspects chime in, I KNOW Billy Bob can run to the emergency room and get "free" health care. I don't agree with that either.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

I make no where near 6 figures and Obamacare was still going to cost me more than 3x what I was already paying. It would suck up most of the money I put into savings each month, and/or clamp down on the little bit of "fun" money I do spend from time to time.