ObamaCare slams smokers

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If you smoke, under the aca you can be charged up to 50% more than a non-smoker.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/25/obamacare-policies-slam-smokers-could-backfire/
For example, premiums for a 64-year-old non-smoker, according to the Kaiser Health Calculator, cost $9,000 a year for a standard "silver" insurance plan.

The same policy for a smoker could cost $13,600.

You know who this is going to hurt the most? People who are retired, poor and minorities, the very people the aca was supposed to help.

So hows that change working out for ya?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
At 65; they also can switch to a system that does not penalize.

People have been told that smoking is hazardous for the past 40+ years; they chose to ignore it.
Now they are learning that it is bad for both to your health and wallet x 2.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
And eat what they are told to eat. (Fatties)

And have sex only when married. (STDs)

Plenty of preventable health costs as long as your life is dictated.

Not equivalents. RR for smoking is far more clear cut and isolated. I would also have no problems with plans that incentivize cholesterol goals, weight goals, hell even STD goals. Should people with less risk not pay less for insurance?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Some retired people like to keep a supplemental plan.

My grandmother has such a plan. It helps fill the gap that medicare does not cover.

And I have the same for my wife.
Those plans are not tied to the ACA

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What kind of insurance policy do you that is not affected by the aca?

I thought all insurance policies now had to meet certain guidelines.

Medicare supplemental plans are not sold through the exchanges, therefore they do not have to comply with ACA guidelines.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
What kind of insurance policy do you that is not affected by the aca?

I thought all insurance policies now had to meet certain guidelines.

The supplementals are not under ACA.

Someone is smart enough to realize that maternity coverage is not really needed at that age :p

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This is why I am terrified about the digitization and unification of health records. Will be harder to hide the wife's smoking then.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
But it's not your fault you are a smoker. You were tricked into it by the big tobacco companies.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
And have sex only when married. (STDs)

Actually the Obama administration actively supports sleeping around. I think the intended message is that birth control is subsidized, but the wink and nod message is that HIV and hepatitis treatment is subsidized.

slut-surance-600x600.jpg

They also promote being a retard.

18-131.jpg

547F150298CA4F46A28B3BAAD089DB3F.jpg

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If you smoke, under the aca you can be charged up to 50% more than a non-smoker.
Finally some good news about the ACA.
So is the same gonna be done with people who drink..
Obviously it should, if it is actually insurance. Insurance works on odds; drinkers are less healthy and require more care. Ergo, they should pay more.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
How is this something new? Life insurance has been quoting different rates for smokers/non smokers for years.

I'm glad my company fully covers tobacco (smoking and/or smokeless) cessation programs or drugs. I went through a self hypnotism smoking cessation program and haven't touched a cigarette in 4 1/2 years. It worked for me in the first session though there were 4 total sessions.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
This is only notable if via the free market insurance companies wouldn't discriminate, but under ACA it would. Otherwise this is pretty obviously the free market at work.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This existed pre-Obummercare, purchasing health care on the "free market." Smoking, age, weight...all could cost you more in premiums...or get you denied coverage.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not equivalents. RR for smoking is far more clear cut and isolated. I would also have no problems with plans that incentivize cholesterol goals, weight goals, hell even STD goals. Should people with less risk not pay less for insurance?
What about people with genetically superior health traits? Should they have to pay less because of their genetic makeup? Won't that slippery-slope eventually lead to a tax on the less genetically fortunate? Remember GATTACA? Do we want to live in a world like that? Sounds like a nazi's wet dream.