Obamacare rollout status report: central place for updates

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So Obama was blindsided by his signature legislative act's website not working? Does this guy do anything besides make speeches, spy on americans, and order drone strikes? Seems everything is a blindside for him.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The lawsuit will most likely fail. The law states that the federal government will set up the state exchange if the state fails to do so. To learn more read here:http://balkin.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-legally-flawed-rearguard-challenge.html

Even if you turned out to be right that means that conservatives will be deliberately working to not only deny the poor medicaid funding, but will be deliberately acting to deny them federal health subsidies, screwing them over financially in order to pursue their ideological agenda.

Let me know how that works out for you.

And this is better than the Democrats who are deliberately working to have the young, healthy, and middle class subsidize the healthcare of the older and wealthier? Very enlightening that your focus is "screwing over the poor financially" because they won't get a subsidy rather than the screwing over the middle class who will pay for those subsidies. But the middle class is always just the never-ending piggy bank for the progressive's dreams anyway.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Buy this or else is the only way the market could potentially deliver.

As noticed; many companies decided to stay out of the market (and/or individual states); reducing the "competition that would lower costs" potential.

I would expect that some of the insurance companies that chose to participate will back out of some markets after a couple of years. To costly!

exactly. then why allow so many exceptions to it?

Also another part is we need many companies offering competition. Why allow them to bail out? raising the cost?

seems like a clusterfuck to me. The idea is great the implementation is wrong.

as to the web page? holly fuck did they screw that up? they are NOW bringing IT "experts" who the fuck did they have before? geek squad doing it? fuck i shouldn't be shocked at how amateurish it was done. but god damn it's my tax money being wasted!

Oh and what really blows me away are the stories that claim Obama didnt know and NOBODY told him. WHAT THE FUCK!?

This is his legacy. this is the biggest fucking thing in the US economy. There are reports that the "experts" they had knew this was going to fail and nobody told him? while it was failing NOBODY told him?

seems many in his cabinet think he is a idiot. they don't seem to be telling him anything on what is going on in the US until the news gets it...

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ealthcaregov-glitches-before-rollout#comments

How can anyone take this administration seriously after this?

President Barack Obama did not know about HealthCare.gov's technical woes until after the flawed health insurance website was launched three weeks ago, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday.

Does this mean in the past three years (especially this past year where coding should have been completed and thorough testing should have been performed), no one gave him a status? Technical glitches were being identified last June and no one told him??? I would be willing to bet that many of the errors that were received since Oct 1 were easily recreated in their test region which should have had the EXACT same code that was rolled out to the masses....It really makes you wonder what kind of testing was done and who actually looked at the results before they were approved.

...and if we had an ideal situation and could have built a product in, you know, a five-year period of time we probably would have taken five years, but we didn’t have five years,” Sebelius said.

5 years to develop this system? I am not sure I can even come up with a response to the sheer stupidity of this statement....

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It just gets better and better!

HealthCare.gov pricing feature can be off the mark

Wu said it's "incredibly misleading for people that are trying to get a sense of what they're paying."

Prices for everyone in the 49-or-under group are based on what a 27-year-old would pay. In the 50-or-older group, prices are based on what a 50-year-old would pay.

CBS News ran the numbers for a 48-year-old in Charlotte, N.C., ineligible for subsidies. According to HealthCare.gov, she would pay $231 a month, but the actual plan on Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina's website costs $360, more than 50 percent higher. The difference: Blue Cross and Blue Shield requests your birthday before providing more accurate estimates.

The numbers for older Americans are even more striking. A 62-year-old in Charlotte looking for the same basic plan would get a price estimate on the government website of $394. The actual price is $634.

A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said the government added the "shop and browse" feature to provide "estimates of premiums without tax credits."

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Prices for everyone in the 49-or-under group are based on what a 27-year-old would pay.

Who did they hire to do their testing? Bozo the clown?

How does something like this not get caught before they roll it out to the public???

All code changes, especially one that determine correct pricing, should be tested and approved before it gets to the public...One would think that after all of the black eyes that have been experienced since Oct 1 that they would MAKE sure that all of the I's were dotted and T's were crossed before rolling it out....

The epic fail of not being able to do simple testing is beyond pathetic...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If testing is not specified in the contract; why spend the extra $$.
And incompetent PM and customer Reps know that the stuff will work properly from day one; no need for testing.

Remember this is the same company that was booted out by the Canadian government

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
ABC News said the government spent $500 million for the website healthcare =
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/500-million-obamacare-website-bust-20631716

Half of a billion USD and climbing? Really?

wtf?!
and wtf the HHS secretary didn't tell Obama of the problems of the website?!

oh man, she's in for a grilling on Capitol Hill.
and for the first time in a long time, I want to know what happened.

and who's the IT contractor in charge of the building the website?
dump them and sue for our $ back!

hopefully this doesn't turn as bad as trying to overhaul/modenize the IRS computer system.
$2B in a failed attempt, and then ultimately abandoned and stuck to the old system from the 1950s with patched upgrades.
$2B!?!?! :mad:

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Does this mean in the past three years (especially this past year where coding should have been completed and thorough testing should have been performed), no one gave him a status? Technical glitches were being identified last June and no one told him???

I could see people wanting to cover up the issues, esp when it might be there job on the lines.

That said - our president sure does learn about a lot of stuff at the last moment. I mean if he learned about the IRS targeting, seizing AP reporter records, Fast&Furious, and Unannounced AF1 flyovers from watching the news so maybe he just really is completely clueless about whats going on around him

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Who did they hire to do their testing? Bozo the clown?

How does something like this not get caught before they roll it out to the public???

All code changes, especially one that determine correct pricing, should be tested and approved before it gets to the public...One would think that after all of the black eyes that have been experienced since Oct 1 that they would MAKE sure that all of the I's were dotted and T's were crossed before rolling it out....

The epic fail of not being able to do simple testing is beyond pathetic...
Is it as beyond pathetic as the epic fail of not reading the article?

If you read the article, you'll find this was a feature, not a bug. It is a poorly considered feature IMO, but a feature nonetheless. Presumably to address the complaints that shoppers had to register before they could examine options, the ACA team added a feature to allow anonymous browsing. This new feature puts shoppers into one of two age groups: 49 and under, and 50 and over. The prices calculated then use age 27 for the younger group and 50 for the older group.

Unfortunately, this is NOT how the insurance companies themselves price policies, giving highly inaccurate results in many cases. Somebody didn't think it through very well before spec'ing this new feature. The only saving grace is this feature is for more casual browsing. In order to actually apply, people still have to register and provide actual birth dates.

In short, for all your wailing about coding and testing, this is a design failure, not a testing failure.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I could see people wanting to cover up the issues, esp when it might be there job on the lines.

That said - our president sure does learn about a lot of stuff at the last moment. I mean if he learned about the IRS targeting, seizing AP reporter records, Fast&Furious, and Unannounced AF1 flyovers from watching the news so maybe he just really is completely clueless about whats going on around him
LOL Well said. One can only plead ignorance so many times before being thought an idiot. On the other hand, there is a long precedent of politicians never learning about embarrassing things they've done until it can be proven they knew; this is likely no different.

Is it as beyond pathetic as the epic fail of not reading the article?

If you read the article, you'll find this was a feature, not a bug. It is a poorly considered feature IMO, but a feature nonetheless. Presumably to address the complaints that shoppers had to register before they could examine options, the ACA team added a feature to allow anonymous browsing. This new feature puts shoppers into one of two age groups: 49 and under, and 50 and over. The prices calculated then use age 27 for the younger group and 50 for the older group.

Unfortunately, this is NOT how the insurance companies themselves price policies, giving highly inaccurate results in many cases. Somebody didn't think it through very well before spec'ing this new feature. The only saving grace is this feature is for more casual browsing. In order to actually apply, people still have to register and provide actual birth dates.

In short, for all your wailing about coding and testing, this is a design failure, not a testing failure.
Um, the purpose of testing is to uncover errors in design as well as errors in execution. If my boom is going to fail under rated load I want to know before it's actually being used regardless of whether it's a bad design or a bad weld. If my web site is going to deliver highly inaccurate results I want to know before roll-out regardless of whether it's a bad design or a bad implementation.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

I did mis-read the article...I thought the over 50 age group was receiving the 27 year old pricing...I apologize for my oversight...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Many presidents surround themselves with Yes people and/or have a strong Chief of Staff to protect from news/information that is felt to be a distraction.

It is a failing as a leader that one chooses underlings that feel that they can not speak the truth and also a failure of the leader to convey that bad news is as critical as good news.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
People bitch and moan, but as one of the very few here who actually has to buy my own family's health insurance, let me tell you my story. Be forewarned-I live in a blue state and one where the state government embraced the potential of Obamacare (we are not known as the Insurance State for nothing) and my state has it's own portal.

Oct. 1st-went on the access site in the AM, very slow probably due to heavy demand. I registered but did nothing else.

Oct 3rd-went back on the site, turns out my written down password was wrong (based on past experience, almost certainly my error). A quick phone call and it was reset. Log onto the site, answer a half dozen questions about family size, age and income and another half dozen questions to prove I am a US citizen and I'm passed through the qualifications, anticipated subsidy and given access to four of five mid-level approved plans. I chose the one I want, answer a few more questions and submit my application for the plan I selected. Total time (and me moving slowly) was a half hour or so.

Compare that to my experiences in the private health insurance field. EACH company you apply for requires an extensive and detailed application of 20-30 pages whereby you lay out each and every medical procedure, disease, cold and scratch you have had in your lifetime, all doctors ever consulted (with dates and addresses) for every member of the family. Wait a couple of weeks for the insurer's underwriter to review and maybe you are accepted. We were - for a monthly premium of the better part of a grand, with 20% copay and $15,000 deductible, no Rx, no glasses, no dental, etc.

This Romneycare system has the potential to be far better than what existed. I think a large part of the program is the state governments that resisted for political purposes. It's too bad elected officials spend so little time leading and governing and so much time and effort politicking and propagandizing.

Is the system perfect? Far from it. It sounds like the federal website is plagued with the problems resulting from hiring less than the ideal firms to roll it out. But it is an excellent first step.

I still say abolish the income tax deduction for employers providing health coverage and watch the squealing from tea party members when they actually have to get and pay for their own medical coverage.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The NBC lead story tonight was "breaking news" that the Obama administration will delay the individual mandate for up yo six weeks due to the system problems. No links yet.

A lot like the last CR the GOP submitted before the shutdown that Reid refused to look at. Getting my popcorn.....

Edit - It's in this article: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/come-back-2-weeks-even-pros-struggle-new-health-exchanges-8C11443270

Customers must sign up by Dec. 15 in order to get care that begins Jan. 1. Late Wednesday, White House officials announced that they intend to slide the deadline for individuals to buy health insurance without a tax penalty by as much as six weeks. If the change is finalized, people will need to have started the enrollment process by March 31, the deadline to sign up.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Spin fail. There's a tremendous difference between six weeks and a full year.

Well, one side saw there needed to be a delay, the other eefused to hear it. 6 weeks is still a tremendously different than "It's ready to go"