Obamacare rollout status report: central place for updates

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They'll have $500 less the cost of health insurance. $500 being $41.67 per month, looks like the vast majority of Target part time employees will have less money to spend, not more.
You are forgetting something. Cost of Target's current plan for part time workers, and out of pocket costs with such plan that aren't there under Medicaid.
So they will have a LOT more money to spend, not less.
That is good news, assuming this isn't like the unemployment numbers where the total number of insured goes down yet the uninsured rate also goes down. The insured rate and the cost to society are by far the two most important metrics by which Obamacare will be judged.
So far so good.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
so why did he wait so long to accept Obamacares Medicaid gift?

Well, until New Year, Medicaid expansion wasn't in effect, so it wasn't costing them money. Now it is. So it took about 3 weeks. Longer than needed, but for a party stuck on stupid, not too bad.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
My ObamaCare plan is $354/m No premium, It covers all of my meds and doctors visits.

Insurance through my job is absolute shit, very high deductible before anything gets covered.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/obamacare-employer-mandate-delay-103338.html

Employer mandate delayed until 2015 for businesses with 50-99 employees. Businesses with 100+ employees get a 70% safe harbor exemption in 2015.
Doesn't help me. BCBS of Tennessee is ending all its small business group policies, so when our policy ends July 1st we'll have nothing to be grandfathered. Our insurance broker says he can't plan anything because the regulations change weekly and none of the underwriters want any new business until they know what will be the rules.

Question for you: Open enrollment ends in March. Our plan runs out end of June. If as it now looks we get cast out into the federal Obamacare exchange, will that allow us to get policies then or must we be uninsured until the next year's open enrollment period?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Loss of minimum essential coverage is a qualifying event that will entitle you to a special enrollment period of, I believe, 60 days.