Obama to increase defense spending beyond Reagan / Bush levels

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/14/pentagon-budget-largest/

Obama’s request is “5% higher than what the Defense Department plans to spend this year. In inflation-adjusted dollars, this figure is higher than at any time during the Bush years or during the Cold War.”

While I support investment in defense, as the arms trade is one sector where domestic manufacturing and exports truly shine, it is disappointing that defense (along many other programs) did not receive drastic cuts to reduce the deficit. Do not get me wrong, defense research spending is one way to stimulate the creation of innovative technology (GPS, Internet, etc), science and engineering jobs (look at places like Hunstville, AL), a proven record of export potential (America is the largest arms exporter), but I think we have likely hit the limits of how far we can push it, given our debt.

Still, I honor his commitment to ensure American security and the stability of the military-industrial complex that educates so many young people and provides countless jobs for Americans (mostly, non-citizens need not apply).

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
In other news, Obama knows he has to play to the centrists and moderates to be reelected and is moving toward that end.

Not that I'm against defense spending in general, but I fail to see the necessity of or logic behind increasing it now.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
What a fool. This is the time to suggest massive cuts in the war budget. Obama just wants to get along, this is why the war budget increases under Democrats and Republicans. Anyone who suggests it can be cut is labeled an America-hating traitor.
It takes balls to suggest cutting the military, that is why I voted for Hillary.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
For political reasons it's hard for a liberal Democrat to cut defense, just as it's hard for a conservative Republican to cut entitlements. While I agree that defense spending helps drive the economy and defense research helps develop new commercial technology, I also agree that this is not the time to "create jobs" by spending a quarter mil a job. Everything needs to be frozen or cut. Although I would except war funding and new equipment needed right now, I don't think that correlates to a 5% increase over current year. Still, I understand why he did it, and there are worse ways he could spend it.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
Much easier to cut low-level social programs and claim that he is "reaching deep", allowing him to ignore/expand areas that are causing problems.

He literally does *nothing* to *attempt* to decrease the deficit.

I mean, tell me, what the fuck does the government NEED to spend money on now that it didn't spend 10 years ago?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Unless this is for current equipment replacement and/or repair, given the conflicts/WoT we're in, I'd bet we'd get a better net result taking that 5%, buying needed civilian goods Made in USA (if those exist anymore), and having our military put them to good civilian use in the areas they're in.

This is a potential Yikes....

Chuck

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Unless this is for current equipment replacement and/or repair, given the conflicts/WoT we're in, I'd bet we'd get a better net result taking that 5%, buying needed civilian goods Made in USA (if those exist anymore), and having our military put them to good civilian use in the areas they're in.

This is a potential Yikes....

Chuck
I'd like to see the major portion of foreign aid delivered in kind. Rather than give your POS country $25 million, we'll give you $25 million in made-in-America stuff. That way we potentially get future spares business, increase our brands recognition and penetration, and the foreign aid money first creates jobs over here.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Yep, and the goods/packaging ought to have a nice readable stamp on it, 'Brought to you from your friends in the USA', put some catchy hands grasping hands on it or something, US flag in background. Every box, poncho, tarp, piece of equipment, whatever that comes packaged or room for a stamping that is bound to the military for use overseas should have that on there. Everytime these people show up to the well to get water, they should see the pump with the US flag on it and hands grasping each other. Every time they open the food packet, same thing. The mosquito netting, same thing. Etc. That way when the Taliban/mullah/whoever starts telling them how evil the American's/The West is, they can know in the back of their mind: Bullsh1t.

Better than bombs...

Chuck

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Looks like more solid Obama supported defense legislation just went through:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...e-will-fund-general-electric-f-35-engine.html
Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee Carl Levin said he doubts the Senate will fund the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter alternate engine made by General Electric Co. and Rolls Royce Group Plc.
The U.S. House of Representatives voted Feb. 16 to cut $450 million for the GE-Rolls Royce engine from legislation funding the Pentagon for the rest of the fiscal year ending Sept. 30.
Took a long time to free up funding for more important project from that. It highlights clearly that Congress can shove pork projects down the throat of the military that they do not want. Not really a funding cut for defense, money is going to other projects.

Now, if only we could resolve the tanker drama so EADS can get to building the next-gen tanker and provide a much needed product to the military while employing American workers in Alabama.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
We could cut spending by getting rid of most of the army / marine grunts and the infrastructure that supports them and re-focusing on the high-tech air force and navy and WMDs.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've got some Hope and Change.

Can we start the bidding at $1?

Who wants Hope and Change for one dollar, one dollar, one dollar. Can I get a dollar. Hope and change 75 cents. Can I get 75 cents. 75 cents. Hope and Change 50 cents. 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents. Can I get a quarter, Hope and Change for a quarter, quarter, quarter...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Seems a little silly to me. We're winding down in Iraq. Shouldn't spending be decreasing?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/14/pentagon-budget-largest/

While I support investment in defense, as the arms trade is one sector where domestic manufacturing and exports truly shine, it is disappointing that defense (along many other programs) did not receive drastic cuts to reduce the deficit.
1. State Department gives aid to foreign country.
2. Foreign country turns around and buys US military equipment.
3. ...
4. Profit.

In other words, we're giving away "free" defense stuff paid for by tax payers.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I've got some Hope and Change.

Can we start the bidding at $1?

Who wants Hope and Change for one dollar, one dollar, one dollar. Can I get a dollar. Hope and change 75 cents. Can I get 75 cents. 75 cents. Hope and Change 50 cents. 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents. Can I get a quarter, Hope and Change for a quarter, quarter, quarter...

:biggrin::biggrin:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
So his budget included cuts for people here at home, now he's increasing the budget for DoD. It's as if Bush and Cheney never left office.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yep, and the goods/packaging ought to have a nice readable stamp on it, 'Brought to you from your friends in the USA', put some catchy hands grasping hands on it or something, US flag in background. Every box, poncho, tarp, piece of equipment, whatever that comes packaged or room for a stamping that is bound to the military for use overseas should have that on there. Everytime these people show up to the well to get water, they should see the pump with the US flag on it and hands grasping each other. Every time they open the food packet, same thing. The mosquito netting, same thing. Etc. That way when the Taliban/mullah/whoever starts telling them how evil the American's/The West is, they can know in the back of their mind: Bullsh1t.

Better than bombs...

Chuck

At the same time, can we take the "made in America" sticker off the tear gas canisters we sell? Just stamp the fucker with made in China and no one would even question it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
For political reasons it's hard for a liberal Democrat to cut defense, just as it's hard for a conservative Republican to cut entitlements. While I agree that defense spending helps drive the economy and defense research helps develop new commercial technology, I also agree that this is not the time to "create jobs" by spending a quarter mil a job. Everything needs to be frozen or cut. Although I would except war funding and new equipment needed right now, I don't think that correlates to a 5% increase over current year. Still, I understand why he did it, and there are worse ways he could spend it.

Cliffs: business as usual

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
We could cut spending by getting rid of most of the army / marine grunts and the infrastructure that supports them and re-focusing on the high-tech air force and navy and WMDs.

Bad idea. The future of conflict will be heavy on low intensity, stability and support type operations. Territorial wars between major powers is not the concern it once was, but dealing with internal conflicts and non-state actors is. You will always need boots on the ground to help conduct these missions and actually hold terrain, provide security, and interact with the locals. As much as a sterile, stand-off/remote-control driven warzone appeals to us, people will still need to get down and dirty in the mess... that is combat, and anesthetizing it won't change that fact.

I would agree with anyone that defense spending should be cut... real cuts, not just cuts in growth. But gutting the Army and Marines is not the answer.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Who was it in another thread that was whining about Republicans not cutting out spending on an obsolete Air Force engine?