Obama Reaffirms - "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Won't Stand.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Serious question: will gays shower with the rest? I could see the answer being, "yes" but wouldn't it be considered ridiculous if straight men showered with woman?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: Harvey

I searched before I posted, but the title of the other thread doesn't mention DADT, and only notes it in passing. I think the topic is worth its own thread. It's my thread so I'll leave this open, but you can ask another mod to look at this if you think it's a problem. :)

Originally posted by: OCguy

Its obvious that it is right at the top of his agenda, along with closing Gitmo, firiing Blackwater, and stoping renditions.

No, it's obviously not for exactly the reasons you imply. The Bushwhackos left him a lot of messes to clean up, and getting stuff done in Washington takes more than mere announcements.

You are correct sir!

So ummm... when does he plan to stop making announcements and actually do something?

I don't think he should do anything until the right has had time to have a good cry and a few temper tantrums and sessions with their shrinks. Bigots need time to adjust. It's not right to just haul them off to their toilets and stick their heads straight in. Give them time to mature a bit and their wrists to heal.

the left has...

control of congress? check
control of the presidency? check

what does the right have to do with this again?

Hopefully the Democrats in Congress will remember what party they are affiliated with or there will be hell to pay in 2010.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Serious question: will gays shower with the rest? I could see the answer being, "yes" but wouldn't it be considered ridiculous if straight men showered with woman?

That's how it is in my gym

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

They did it in Starship Troopers.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Homophobe?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

you do know the odds that when you shower at teh gym you do shower with gays right?

as someone said the odds of knowing someone that is gay is high. they just don't come and say it.

edit:ask yourself. IF you are in a warzone would you rather have a good soldier who knows how to stay safe but fights like hell or straight guy who is a coward and hides when he should be fighting? its a easy answere to me. i don't care if the guy is gayer then richard simmons it wouldnt bother me to have him next to me.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BarrySotero

Since Obama appointed a "School Safety Czar" who wrote forward to book called "Queering Elementary Education" it's only logical (in an illogical kind of way) that Obama would seek to homosexualize the military as well and serve the gays in Hollywood like Geffen that got him elected over Hillary.

Hate much? :roll:

Since Obama is unilaterally disarming the US, and sees US intelligence agencies as the real enemy...

Got proof of either of those dumbass assertions? :confused:

... I suppose it hardly matters if the military is homosexualized anyway (of course the 70% of service members against it will just have to suffer the folly of it all).

Got proof that 70% of service members will suffer if DADT is repealed? :confused:

Liberalism - it's the cutting edge of civilization in reverse.

And you are a blunt instrument of bigotry, hate and stupidity.

Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

He's only been a bigot for a year of his Administration.. I guess that makes it OK.

Got proof that he's a bigot? :confused:

I mean the guy can win the Nobel Prize in 11 days, but can't find a way to sign a document saying DADT should be repealed?

What does the Nobel Prize have to do with this issue, and why do you take EVERY opportunity to show your abject ignorance? DADT is a law, not an executive order. As such, Obama can act to limit its implimentation and enforcement, but it can be fully repealed only by legislation from Congress. In his speech, he announced that he was working with Congress and the military to achieve that.

Originally posted by: bfdd

Don't all the gay guys join the Navy anyways?

Hey, sailor. Are you an expert? :laugh:

But sane people look unsane to unsane people - life is back to front.

He said, speaking from the latter perspective. :laugh:

Try talking cannibals out of cannibalism - it's hard lol.

So, do you prefer catsup or mustard on your neighbors' kids? :shocked:

"Truth is hate to those that hate the truth".

Says the guy who continually spews hate and bigotry. :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by: theflyingpig

This will not go over well with the line units. Gays aren't welcome there. Everyone knows this.

Which "everyone" would that be? :confused:

It hasn't hurt the Israeli military or the British military.

Despite misgivings, gays blend in to British military

By Sarah Lyall
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LONDON ? The officer, a squadron leader in the Royal Air Force, felt he had no choice. So he stood up in front of his squad of 30 to 40 people.

"I said, 'Right, I've got something to tell you,' " he said. " 'I believe that for us to be able to work closely together and have faith in each other, we have to be honest and open and frank.

" 'And it has to be a two-way process, and it starts with me baring my soul. You may have heard some rumors, and, yes, I have a long-term partner who is a he, not a she.' "

Far from causing problems, he said, he found that coming out to his troops actually increased the unit's strength and cohesion. He had felt uneasy keeping the secret "that their boss was a poof," as he put it, from people he worked with so intensely.

Since it began allowing gays to serve in the armed forces in 2000, none of the British military's fears - about harassment, discord, blackmail, bullying or an erosion of unit cohesion or military effectiveness - has come to pass, according to the Ministry of Defense, current and former members of the services, and academics specializing in the military. The biggest news about the policy, they say, is that there is no news. It has for the most part become a nonissue.
(continues)

And beyond your short sighted, narrow minded self, how many of your "everyone" share your little phone booth? :roll:

Serious question: will gays shower with the rest?

Serious answer -- It would be difficult to work around them if they didn't shower.

I could see the answer being, "yes" but wouldn't it be considered ridiculous if straight men showered with woman?

What does one have to do with the other? :confused:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
What does the Nobel Prize have to do with this issue, and why do you take EVERY opportunity to show your abject ignorance? DADT is a law, not an executive order. As such, Obama can act to limit its implimentation and enforcement, but it can be fully repealed only by legislation from Congress. In his speech, he announced that he was working with Congress and the military to achieve that.

the fact that he could sign a stop loss to stop kicking soldiers out of the army while waiting on congress to repeal the law and hasn't combined with the fact that he doesn't seem to have lifted a pinkie to try and get congress to act on this is kind of a kick in the nuts... practically Obama's entire presidency has been defined by this dissonance between what he says and what he actually does.

as far as I can see, he's done more to get the Olympic games hosted in Chicago than he's done to get don't ask/don't tell taken off the books.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Obama making a speech to a gay and lesbian group he will repeal DADT is news? Let us know when he actually does it.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Obama making a speech to a gay and lesbian group he will repeal DADT is news? Let us know when he actually does it.

C'mon - he's just laying the groundwork for his "Nobel Peace Prize '10" tour.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: OCguy
Its obvious that it is right at the top of his agenda, along with closing Gitmo, firiing Blackwater, and stoping renditions.

No shit... really?

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Barry... WTF? You realize that the LARGE majority of homosexuals are no different than you or I right? They're just people also, in fact you probably know a few and don't even know about it.

I work in the arts and know lots. I have very good friends that are homosexual. God no doubt loves some more than me. The homosexual political groups on the other had are deadly. They would render the whole society broken to get their ways.

You do know "the gay" is contagious, right? Don't be surprised if the next time you're drinking with your "buddy," you accidentally trip and give him a BJ.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: Ausm

Homophobe?

He's afraid he'd get wood, then everybody would know...

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Harvey

Since Obama appointed a "School Safety Czar" who wrote forward to book called "Queering Elementary Education" it's only logical (in an illogical kind of way) that Obama would seek to homosexualize the military as well and serve the gays in Hollywood like Geffen that got him elected over Hillary.

Hate much? :roll:

Since Obama is unilaterally disarming the US, and sees US intelligence agencies as the real enemy...

Got proof of either of those dumbass assertions? :confused:

... I suppose it hardly matters if the military is homosexualized anyway (of course the 70% of service members against it will just have to suffer the folly of it all).

Got proof that 70% of service members will suffer if DADT is repealed? :confused:

Liberalism - it's the cutting edge of civilization in reverse.

And you are a blunt instrument of bigotry, hate and stupidity.

Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

He's only been a bigot for a year of his Administration.. I guess that makes it OK.

Got proof that he's a bigot? :confused:

I mean the guy can win the Nobel Prize in 11 days, but can't find a way to sign a document saying DADT should be repealed?

Don't all the gay guys join the Navy anyways?

Hey, sailor. Are you an expert? :laugh:

But sane people look unsane to unsane people - life is back to front.

He said, speaking from the latter perspective. :laugh:

Try talking cannibals out of cannibalism - it's hard lol.

So, do you prefer catsup or mustard on your neighbors' kids? :shocked:

"Truth is hate to those that hate the truth".

Says the guy who continually spews hate and bigotry. :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by: theflyingpig

This will not go over well with the line units. Gays aren't welcome there. Everyone knows this.

Which "everyone" would that be? :confused:

It hasn't hurt the Israeli military or the British military.

Despite misgivings, gays blend in to British military

By Sarah Lyall
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LONDON ? The officer, a squadron leader in the Royal Air Force, felt he had no choice. So he stood up in front of his squad of 30 to 40 people.

"I said, 'Right, I've got something to tell you,' " he said. " 'I believe that for us to be able to work closely together and have faith in each other, we have to be honest and open and frank.

" 'And it has to be a two-way process, and it starts with me baring my soul. You may have heard some rumors, and, yes, I have a long-term partner who is a he, not a she.' "

Far from causing problems, he said, he found that coming out to his troops actually increased the unit's strength and cohesion. He had felt uneasy keeping the secret "that their boss was a poof," as he put it, from people he worked with so intensely.

Since it began allowing gays to serve in the armed forces in 2000, none of the British military's fears - about harassment, discord, blackmail, bullying or an erosion of unit cohesion or military effectiveness - has come to pass, according to the Ministry of Defense, current and former members of the services, and academics specializing in the military. The biggest news about the policy, they say, is that there is no news. It has for the most part become a nonissue.
(continues)

And beyond your short sighted, narrow minded self, how many of your "everyone" share your little phone booth? :roll:

Serious question: will gays shower with the rest?

Serious answer -- It would be difficult to work around them if they didn't shower.

I could see the answer being, "yes" but wouldn't it be considered ridiculous if straight men showered with woman?

What does one have to do with the other? :confused:

Yes.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Homophobe?

No. I guess you think men and women should shower together then right? There's no real basis for separating naked men and women other than the fear of sexual attraction. I don't really care about gays in the military but it seems that if it happens there should be more emphasis on privacy for the individual. Or everyone can go Starshiptroopers as someone else mentioned.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Homophobe?

Maybe just bad hemorrhoids and a vivid imagination.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Homophobe?

No. I guess you think men and women should shower together then right? There's no real basis for separating naked men and women other than the fear of sexual attraction. I don't really care about gays in the military but it seems that if it happens there should be more emphasis on privacy for the individual. Or everyone can go Starshiptroopers as someone else mentioned.

I can't say I've heard any stories of rampant shower buttrape coming out of the Israeli army.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
It is only common courtesy to allow the insane a chance to adjust to a coming reality, no?

The "coming reality" (unless people wake up) is social strife and collapse. Things like homosexuality and identity conflicts rise as social deterioration sets in. It's like people smoking for 30 years and getting cancer. Homosexuality, global warming hysteria, self destructive attacks on national defense, hatred of spiritual life etc - all are part of the psychotic conditioning of a society programmed to self destruct. Fortunately at least a third of the problem sees the problem and cant be confuzzled as my UK friends say. Homosexuals have it made - but nooooo they have to turn everything inside out/upside down to conform to their self deceptions. This will backfire sure as I'm typing this.

Atheism and homosexuality are cancer. Got it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Homophobe?

I can't say I've heard any stories of rampant shower buttrape coming out of the Israeli army.

Don't spoil his fantasy.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
I'm sure many gays have served with the highest distinction. I'm sure I have worked or currently work alongside gay people. If I was gay I would still want to be able to serve in the military. I don't see any reason to oppose it other than homosexuality goes against your principles.

Speaking specifically about the Army, it's too structured and organized to allow a gay person to become a problem... his battle buddies would square that shit away quick and then his first line leaders would make sure it doesn't happen again. If there was some sort of issue, it would be like any other conduct problem and dealt with accordingly. But from my perspective, it just doesn't seem like there would be a big deal.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: cwjerome
I'm sure many gays have served with the highest distinction. I'm sure I have worked or currently work alongside gay people. If I was gay I would still want to be able to serve in the military. I don't see any reason to oppose it other than homosexuality goes against your principles.

Speaking specifically about the Army, it's too structured and organized to allow a gay person to become a problem... his battle buddies would square that shit away quick and then his first line leaders would make sure it doesn't happen again. If there was some sort of issue, it would be like any other conduct problem and dealt with accordingly. But from my perspective, it just doesn't seem like there would be a big deal.

If you think having a sexual attraction to women would make you unfit for military duty, then you might thing having a sexual attraction to men would. I just posted this without a single thought to what my attraction is. It makes no difference at all when you are doing what a soldier does. Liking girls doesn't help me squeeze a trigger.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
I have two points to make: the first is that homosexuality in and of itself is irrelevant to what constitutes a 'good soldier'. As Barry Goldwater put it, "I don't care if the soldier is straight, it matters if the soldier shoots straight." And as people have already pointed out, there's already gays openly serving in other militaries; as far as I know no reasonable person would accuse the Israeli or British military of being toothless 'paper tigers'.

The second point is that the hoopla over gays in the military ignores a much more insidious and very real problem: gangs/criminals, hate groups, and barely-qualified individuals allowed to enlist in the military. Even if one could believe that having (openly) gay individuals would somehow undermine or weaken military effectiveness, the same could be said for having individuals lacking integrity or those unable to exhibit basic reasoning/learning skills.

And I'm skeptical that the War on Terror is going so well that the US military has the luxury of forcing out essential personnel to the war errort (ie interpreters/linguists especially in critical areas such as Arabic/Farsi).

Nytimes article 'hate groups infiltrate military'

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Homophobe?

The issue is not rape. It's about bringing sexuality into an environment. And I don't buy that gay men can refrain from objectifying naked men around them. That's about as unlikely as straight men not making a co-ed shower.

Interestingly, gay Israelis in the military are apparently allowed to shower alone if they want to. Half of gay Israelis in the military have been harassed. (Wikipedia.)

And for those that like jump to conclusions (apparently most in this thread), I'm not opposed to gays in the military.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Homophobe?

The issue is not rape. It's about bringing sexuality into an environment. And I don't buy that gay men can refrain from objectifying naked men around them. That's about as unlikely as straight men not making a co-ed shower.

Interestingly, gay Israelis in the military are apparently allowed to shower alone if they want to. Half of gay Israelis in the military have been harassed. (Wikipedia.)

And for those that like jump to conclusions (apparently most in this thread), I'm not opposed to gays in the military.

The only person bringing sexuality into an environment is you. It's called projection.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
he can reaffirm the moon is made of green cheese. Until he starts to do anything all you have is hope for change, and at this rate the change is going to be less people with [D] elected.