Obama rally in Des Moines

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
If you haven?t been to a live Obama rally, you're missing something very special.
I know now why Obama has such magnetism with the voters.
Some have stated they fear for his safety. I use to think that way, but no longer.
Obama rally's are security perfection.
The rally was held downtown during noon time.
You could not get near the park until you were checked through airport like security.
And every roof top had swat or police. Streets were closed. Obama is very well protected.

Obama arrived right on time. The crowd was HUGE.
Having only watched him on TV during the debates, info commercial
and news shows, I was taken back at how inspirational he is in person.
Something that does not come across so profoundly on TV as in person.
It was like time stood still.
But what was really amazing was to look around at all the faces.
People were so inspired by him. It was like people from all backgrounds, walks of life,
income levels were united. Uplifted. Obama's "gift" is not his rock star quality, nor some God like quality that opponents reduce him to. Obama's gift is his ability to connect with and inspire his audience. Something that does not come across on TV, compared to his live rally?s.

I was once a huge Hillary supporter, but I now realize Obama is the better choice, simply
because of his gift to connect and inspire. If he had been president after 9/11,
things would have been different. Obama would have united the country like never before, and kept us that way.
Inspiration is a rare gift that past leaders like Lincoln, MLK, JFK only had.
Obama also has this gift. And it?s a rare gift.

We were there early and got seats on the bleachers. The rally was packed, and on the lawn a sea of heads. But what took me back was after the rally we waited on the bleachers as the older folks exited first. I said ?lets walk to the top of the bleacher for a better view?.
The friend I was with tapped me on the shoulder and said "look".
I turned around and as far as I could see, in all directions, the streets were packed
with people. I did not realize that many people were behind us filling the streets.

Obama is not a rock star. He is not God-like. What he simply can do is inspire people.
If Obama is not elected on Nov 4th, the country will have tragically missed an opportunity to bring people together. Few leaders have this gift of inspiration and leadership.
JFK had it, Lincoln no doubt had it, MLK did and Reagan did when he said "tear this wall down".
Obama has that rare gift. Its easy to see why he has such a strong following of supporters.
And it would be so very tragic to let this opportunity pass us by.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
It's called a natural leader. It's been a long time since we've had one that could really appeal across a broad spectrum of the states. I just hope we get a chance to see how deep that ability to lead goes.

We're almost there.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
According to the polls Obama is up by 11 in Iowa which means he should not even be there unless his campaign thinks the polls are off.

Makes you wonder what the inside the campaign polls look like.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
According to the polls Obama is up by 11 in Iowa which means he should not even be there unless his campaign thinks the polls are off.

I am surprised Iowa is supposed to be so blue since they get so much corn subsidies from Republicans.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I am surprised Iowa is supposed to be so blue since they get so much corn subsidies from Republicans.

Obama has supported corn subsidies.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Iowa confirmed his viability. It's special for him.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yep. It looks as though there are some cracks in the facade the media and dems have created.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Yep. It looks as though there are some cracks in the facade the media and dems have created.

Uh-oh it's the MSM boogieman again...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Infohawk

Need a recent example? DesMoines Register did a writeup on a democrat ad that was only run once because the candidate had run out of money and could only scrape up enough to run it once. But ofcourse the "paper" decided it was worthy of a special write-up. They asked the R candidate's campaign for a comment and they gave a statement...but the DMR didn't include it since it didn't fit the agenda of the story. Go figure.

But go ahead and continue to be blind to the obvious bias in the MSM if you wish.

Now back to BHO having to go to Iowa to campaign when Iowa is supposed to be a "lock" for him...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Dave, please stop. Iowa has always been independent, sometimes light red, sometimes light blue, depending on the candidates and the issues of the day. It takes a special candidate to pull so many Iowans to one side.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

No, it really doesn't. Obama stopped in Iowa for symbolic reasons -- this is where he started -- because the McCain campaign has been spending a lot of time and money here, so it's good strategy to stay visible, and probably most of all, because he was on his way home to spend Halloween with his kids and Iowa is right next door.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Yep, the so-called "Party of Values" has been replaced by "The Party of Victims." Waaaah! Woe is us! Just a bunch of whiny crybabies any more.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
If (and this is a general observation not directed at you) your a whole person and grounded within yourself you don't get swept up in other peoples oratory - even if it is good. Objectivity is the natural seat of reason and that's not an emotional state. Obama's campaign intentionally mimics the same principles found with tent preachers. People find emotional salvation (false) from themselves - absolution by absorption. Obama and the media kept him the clean and mysterious slate "above it all".

He identified peoples lack of inner motivation, insecurity, doubt and anger and he justified it all by telling people none of it was their fault. They were beautiful victims of an evil outside themselves that was suppressing their lives. I dont equate Obama and Hitler but Hitler used same principles. He justified peoples anger and hate and made it seem a virtue that needed to be unleashed against the world and others he cast blame on. Nazis could shove people in gas chambers and then drink wine and listen to Wagner in the evening and feel beautifully absolved by the conviction of their struggle as justified by the Führer and his aura.

Obama's appeal is emotional and he and the media have intentionally inflated drama around him so that people who no doubt have some drudgery in their lives felt like they were a historic wave of history and change without really specifying what kind. Being "inspirational" is not enough because its easy to do and people get ripped off all the time. As someone who once leaned Marxist I can see Obama is a cultural Marxist and the "anti-Lincoln". He would come into the nation at a difficult time and lead it back into oppression and broken liberty with race as well as economic based criteria. He would practice an intolerance and that would shock even supporters. Of course there would be the grand excuses for why he would do so.

A great Article about Obama's crowds was written by Fouad Ajami in Wall Street journal. Some parts:

There is something odd -- and dare I say novel -- in American politics about the crowds that have been greeting Barack Obama on his campaign trail. Hitherto, crowds have not been a prominent feature of American politics. We associate them with the temper of Third World societies. We think of places like Argentina and Egypt and Iran, of multitudes brought together by their zeal for a Peron or a Nasser or a Khomeini. In these kinds of societies, the crowd comes forth to affirm its faith in a redeemer: a man who would set the world right.

As the late Nobel laureate Elias Canetti observes in his great book, "Crowds and Power" (first published in 1960), the crowd is based on an illusion of equality: Its quest is for that moment when "distinctions are thrown off and all become equal. It is for the sake of this blessed moment, when no one is greater or better than another, that people become a crowd." These crowds, in the tens of thousands, who have been turning out for the Democratic standard-bearer in St. Louis and Denver and Portland, are a measure of American distress.

On the face of it, there is nothing overwhelmingly stirring about Sen. Obama. There is a cerebral quality to him, and an air of detachment. He has eloquence, but within bounds. After nearly two years on the trail, the audience can pretty much anticipate and recite his lines. The political genius of the man is that he is a blank slate. The devotees can project onto him what they wish. The coalition that has propelled his quest -- African-Americans and affluent white liberals -- has no economic coherence. But for the moment, there is the illusion of a common undertaking -- Canetti's feeling of equality within the crowd.

My boyhood, and the Arab political culture I have been chronicling for well over three decades, are anchored in the Arab world. And the tragedy of Arab political culture has been the unending expectation of the crowd -- the street, we call it -- in the redeemer who will put an end to the decline, who will restore faded splendor and greatness. When I came into my own, in the late 1950s and '60s, those hopes were invested in the Egyptian Gamal Abdul Nasser. He faltered, and broke the hearts of generations of Arabs. But the faith in the Awaited One lives on, and it would forever circle the Arab world looking for the next redeemer.

America is a different land, for me exceptional in all the ways that matter. In recent days, those vast Obama crowds, though, have recalled for me the politics of charisma that wrecked Arab and Muslim societies. A leader does not have to say much, or be much. The crowd is left to its most powerful possession -- its imagination.

http://online.wsj.com/article/...tml?mod=googlenews_wsj

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

No, it really doesn't. Obama stopped in Iowa for symbolic reasons -- this is where he started -- because the McCain campaign has been spending a lot of time and money here, so it's good strategy to stay visible, and probably most of all, because he was on his way home to spend Halloween with his kids and Iowa is right next door.

Uhhh... McCain has not spent a lot of time and money here - not even close to what BHO has. You can't turn on the TV here without seeing a BHO ad. Likely 3-4:1

But sure, you've repeated the BHO campaign's suggestion that it was symbolic...but you forgot the he was in the neighborhood line though... :roll:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Yep, the so-called "Party of Values" has been replaced by "The Party of Victims." Waaaah! Woe is us! Just a bunch of whiny crybabies any more.

Pointing out the obvious bias is not playing a "victim" - it's pointing out the obvious.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Yeah, but both sides act like children on internet forums :)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Now back to BHO having to go to Iowa to campaign when Iowa is supposed to be a "lock" for him...

Yeh, right, back to the false attribution that Obama "had to" go back to Iowa.

He goes where he chooses, for whatever his reasons. He came back to Denver, too, even though his chances of losing Colorado seem slim indeed....

Oh, yeh- Palin drew an estimated 10K to her rally last weekend in Des Moines, while the Obama crowd was estimated at 25K...

Just sayin'...

Oh, yeh- Palin's rally was on a weekend, Obama's was at noon on a workday...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Pointing out the obvious bias is not playing a "victim" - it's pointing out the obvious.

Reality is biased. This idea that the press should report on two candidates with equally glowing or negative stories is stupid. If one candidate is out kissing hands and shaking babies while the other is being a tard, it is not media bias that the press reports it that way.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ironwing

Reality is biased. This idea that the press should report on two candidates with equally glowing or negative stories is stupid. If one candidate is out kissing hands and shaking babies while the other is being a tard, it is not media bias that the press reports it that way.

Ah, so the press gets to decide for people? I thought they were supposed to provide the information...silly me for thinking the press was supposed to do actual reporting... but yet again this subject is off topic. There are other threads if you wish to discuss media bias.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Uhhh... McCain has not spent a lot of time and money here - not even close to what BHO has. You can't turn on the TV here without seeing a BHO ad. Likely 3-4:1

But sure, you've repeated the BHO campaign's suggestion that it was symbolic...but you forgot the he was in the neighborhood line though... :roll:
Really? Care to back that up? I heard today that Iowa is one of the few states where McCain is outspending Obama. I haven't verified that, but I give it more credibility than the "3-4:1" Obama you almost certainly pulled out of your rectum.

Edit: I have to suggest for the hundredth time that you invest in that remedial reading course. Contrary to your flip "you forgot the he was in the neighborhood line", I did mention that as the most likely reason he chose to come to Iowa today. Here, let me bold it for you. It's funny how you so regularly chide others for not reading what you wrote, yet you are the consistently one of the worst offenders.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

He goes where he chooses, for whatever his reasons. He came back to Denver, too, even though his chances of losing Colorado seem slim indeed....

Oh, yeh- Palin drew an estimated 10K to her rally last weekend in Des Moines, while the Obama crowd was estimated at 25K...

Just sayin'...

Must be nice to take off work to go to a rally at noon, or get off the couch, or wherever they came from.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Just sayin'...

So? Do you not understand demographics? Sheesh. Ofcourse BHO is going to have large crowds in a metro that is solidly liberal.

But it seems to me that IF BHO and his campaign didn't need to come to Iowa they would have spent the time in a place that needs bolstering. But hey... I understand that political logic with people like you is a crap shoot.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing

Ah, so the press gets to decide for people? I thought they were supposed to provide the information...silly me for thinking the press was supposed to do actual reporting... but yet again this subject is off topic. There are other threads if you wish to discuss media bias.

Reading comprehension is not your strong point. If candidate A is running a pathetic, disjointed campaign it is perfectly legitimate for the press to report that candidate A is running a pathetic, disjointed campaign. This creates no obligation on the part of the press to report that candidate B is running a pathetic, disjointed campaign if, in fact, candidate B is running a well organized campaign. The pres is not being biased here but is reporting the state of the two campaigns which happen to be different.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Really? Care to back that up? I heard today that Iowa is one of the few states where McCain is outspending Obama. I haven't verified that, but I give it more credibility than the "3-4:1" Obama you almost certainly pulled out of your rectum.

Learn to read moron. I said his ads were likely 3-4:1 because that's what I've seen when I've turned the TV on to local channels. Maybe it's due to the times I turn it on...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill
Must be nice to take off work to go to a rally at noon, or get off the couch, or wherever they came from.
I'm not sure what your point is, but yes, it is nice. Coincidentally, I have employees in both Des Moines and Columbus, OH (where McCain held a big rally today too). Even more coincidentally, both rallies were held within a block or so of our offices. I gave my staff the option to attend their local rally, if they wanted, and did not require them to take vacation to do so. Like many large companies, we encourage employees to participate in the political process, and most people rarely get a chance to see the next POTUS in person.

As far as where they came from, according to local news reports, they came from pretty much everywhere. The streets were filled with people walking to the event (from wherever they work or parked, as appropriate). People were still walking up twenty minutes after it started. Most had to watch and listen from outside the official venue.