Obama on Imus

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Story here.

Seems to be a double standard in the Obama campaign. Apparently if it's Imus he needs to be fired, but the Rev. Wright can be on a campaign committed as a spiritual advisor.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear
"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Story here.

Seems to be a double standard in the Obama campaign. Apparently if it's Imus he needs to be fired, but the Rev. Wright can be on a campaign committed as a spiritual advisor.

Obama said he was not present and not aware of the comments Wright made, and when he was made aware of them he dismissed Wright from his campaign.

I know you're desperately looking for ways to smear Obama with this, but surely you can do better then this.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Story here.

Obama said he was not present and not aware of the comments Wright made, and when he was made aware of them he dismissed Wright from his campaign.

I know you're desperately looking for ways to smear Obama with this, but surely you can do better then this.

i find it hard to beleive that the only time he has made such comments just happened to be the day Obama was not there and it was taped.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I heard someone make a racial slur one time while walking down the street and did nothing about it. Am I screwed from running for President now? :(

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
I heard someone make a racial slur one time while walking down the street and did nothing about it. Am I screwed from running for President now? :(

pretty much; you know it's all about perception, not about reality.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Apparently if you demanded he lose his job you'll be OK.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Imus sucks. Who the hell listens to him anyways? You couldn't pay me to listen to that old turd.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy

Story here.

i find it hard to beleive that the only time he has made such comments just happened to be the day Obama was not there and it was taped.

based on what? you might be completely right, but I'm also betting that you have absolutely no proof. If a post is going to label someone a hypocrite it seems only fair that they have A.) The facts right, which he didn't here, and B.) at least some sort of evidence that what they are saying is true, which he doesn't.

I think we all know that the OP is one of the ultra right posters on here, and so his motives are pretty doubtful. If you're going to try and smear someone in that sort of case you should probably be extra sure you can back your accusations up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I myself am happily a racist. It's when the other guy is a racist that I get pissed off. I get especially really really irate if it happens the other guy has some bias against my race. Now that is just intolerable.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

You know, your dodge is getting a little old. You're obviously not some bystander commenting on what's going on, you are taking an obvious and active role in skewing perception, then dodging responsibility by claiming that reality really doesn't matter. Am I the only person who finds your anti-Obama rhetoric slightly less compelling when you admit that your argument is about bashing the candidate rather than reality?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I myself am happily a racist. It's when the other guy is a racist that I get pissed off. I get especially really really irate if it happens the other guy has some bias against my race. Now that is just intolerable.

What race are you so I know whether to get mad or laugh? :laugh:

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford

You know, your dodge is getting a little old. You're obviously not some bystander commenting on what's going on, you are taking an obvious and active role in skewing perception, then dodging responsibility by claiming that reality really doesn't matter. Am I the only person who finds your anti-Obama rhetoric slightly less compelling when you admit that your argument is about bashing the candidate rather than reality?

You want to know what is really getting old? The fact that everyone seems to be giving Obama a pass and the benefit of the doubt that he knew someone for 20 years, had that person perform his marriage ceremony, baptized his kids, named one of his books after said pastors sermon, and conveniently says "I didn't know". That's about as good as the Chewbacca defense.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

You want to know what is really getting old? The fact that everyone seems to be giving Obama a pass and the benefit of the doubt that he knew someone for 20 years, had that person perform his marriage ceremony, baptized his kids, named one of his books after said pastors sermon, and conveniently says "I didn't know". That's about as good as the Chewbacca defense.

I was just thinking that it looks more like the Chewbacca OFFENSE...you don't have any proof of your accusations, just a lot of noise. I don't know about you, but I'm not in the habit of convicting people based on assumptions and inference, regardless of how plausible someone's defense sounds, if you can't PROVE it's not true, then it doesn't really matter.

Edit: And speaking of dodging, that was good work on your part not answering my question...it was so smooth I almost didn't notice ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Story here.

based on what? you might be completely right, but I'm also betting that you have absolutely no proof. If a post is going to label someone a hypocrite it seems only fair that they have A.) The facts right, which he didn't here, and B.) at least some sort of evidence that what they are saying is true, which he doesn't.

I think we all know that the OP is one of the ultra right posters on here, and so his motives are pretty doubtful. If you're going to try and smear someone in that sort of case you should probably be extra sure you can back your accusations up.

the facts that he has been going to the church for 20 years is a darn good one. Also its been documented in many places that this was NOT a shot time.

do i have proof? nope. bu tto think that he has been around this man and as close as he claims to be to him is neive or blindess. i find it hard to beleive that this is the only time it happened.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

How is everyone giving him a pass? It's been front page news for days, he had to change his whole policy of not discussing race to talk about it, and he's condemned the guy's statements more times then I can count.

Keep searching for better things to attack Obama with. I know you can find them, because as of right now your attack is "Obama must have known based on my virtually nonexistent knowledge of his relationship with the pastor at his church, and if he did know must be a hypocrite based upon my extremely narrow interpretation of an isolated quote."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

the facts that he has been going to the church for 20 years is a darn good one. Also its been documented in many places that this was NOT a shot time.

do i have proof? nope. bu tto think that he has been around this man and as close as he claims to be to him is neive or blindess. i find it hard to beleive that this is the only time it happened.

It could be many things. I find it unlikely that Obama didn't know that he was a racist, but that doesn't mean that he expected him to be shouting racist things from the pulpit every sunday. I know my grandmother was a huge racist, but she never said that stuff when I was around. And yes, there's a big difference between personal feeling and public action.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

I'm not sure if he deserves a pass on this one. I know, I've been told repeatedly that this has been debunked but, maybe I'm just dense, I haven't seen the explanation for these quotes...

3-14-2008 Interview on FOX:
"None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews." "One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president and I put out a statement at that time condemning them."
http://shakespearessister.blog...-on-wright-on-fox.html

3-18-2008 Race speach
"Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course." "Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes."

Is it just the words? When he says "remarks that could be considered controversial" is that just a blanket statement to cover his ass without admitting to the specific statements below?

If that's the case and someone can place him in the pews on the day that one of these specific statements was made, does he still get a pass?

Statements that got air time before the 3-14-2008 FOX interview:

"The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color."

?Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run! We [in the U.S.] Believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.?

"United States of White America, U.S. of KKKA ...."

"Black men turning on black men,,,that is fighting the wrong enemy. You both are the primary targets in an oppressive society that sees both of you as a dangerous threat."

"White America got their wake-up call after 9/11. White America and the Western world came to realize people of color had not gone away, faded in the woodwork, or just disappeared as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns."

?We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batter an eye.?

"Black women are being raped daily in Africa. One white girl from Alabama gets drunk at a graduation trip to Aruba, goes off and gives it up while in a foreign country and that stays in the news for months.

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

"God Damn America, That's in the Bible...for killing innocent people." " God Damn America for treating her citizens as less than human. "God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.?

?Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that.?

?Hillary ain?t never been called a *****. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.?

?Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain?t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.?

"Jesus was a poor black man" "Jesus taught me how to hate my enemies ? The enemy he is referring to is white people! "We started the AIDS virus . . . We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty. .

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Story here.

1. All of his sermons are taped. I believe they're all broadcast on tv or radio, but i'm not sure how far back that goes. These comments were found by digging through the archives, specifically looking for offensive things he said over the years and years of sermons that he's given.

2. As wrongly as some would like to portray it, the Rev. doesn't spend all of his sermon time damning America. He actually spends most of his time preaching about biblical issues. Every now and again he might say a comment that the average person would find disagreeable, but even of those comments, they rarely rise to the level where someone could justifiably cause for the Rev. to be "fired".

It's not very hard to believe that Obama was never sitting there at a time where the Rev. said something so out there that Obama thought "That's so horrible that I better find a new church immediately."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

What race are you so I know whether to get mad or laugh? :laugh:

I am AllMen.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: RY62

I'm not sure if he deserves a pass on this one. I know, I've been told repeatedly that this has been debunked but, maybe I'm just dense, I haven't seen the explanation for these quotes...

3-14-2008 Interview on FOX:
"None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews." "One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president and I put out a statement at that time condemning them."
http://shakespearessister.blog...-on-wright-on-fox.html

3-18-2008 Race speach
"Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course." "Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes."

Is it just the words? When he says "remarks that could be considered controversial" is that just a blanket statement to cover his ass without admitting to the specific statements below?

If that's the case and someone can place him in the pews on the day that one of these specific statements was made, does he still get a pass?

Statements that got air time before the 3-14-2008 FOX interview:

"The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color."

?Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run! We [in the U.S.] Believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.?

"United States of White America, U.S. of KKKA ...."

"Black men turning on black men,,,that is fighting the wrong enemy. You both are the primary targets in an oppressive society that sees both of you as a dangerous threat."

"White America got their wake-up call after 9/11. White America and the Western world came to realize people of color had not gone away, faded in the woodwork, or just disappeared as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns."

?We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batter an eye.?

"Black women are being raped daily in Africa. One white girl from Alabama gets drunk at a graduation trip to Aruba, goes off and gives it up while in a foreign country and that stays in the news for months.

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

"God Damn America, That's in the Bible...for killing innocent people." " God Damn America for treating her citizens as less than human. "God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.?

?Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that.?

?Hillary ain?t never been called a *****. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.?

?Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain?t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.?

"Jesus was a poor black man" "Jesus taught me how to hate my enemies ? The enemy he is referring to is white people! "We started the AIDS virus . . . We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty. .

Well sheeeeet, I guess I'm going to have to take my "Wright for President" bumper sticker off my car.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999

Well sheeeeet, I guess I'm going to have to take my "Wright for President" bumper sticker off my car.

Once again, the question is about judgment. Obama is running on his judgment. Michelle Obama asked everyone to trust Barack Obama's moral compass.
Obama has called Wright his moral compass. He was evasive in his answers last year when the 9/11 statements came up and only denounced the statements when there was video proof.