Obama & McCain EQUAL in polls?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: RKDaley
I've never heard him voice those policies, nor have I read that on his site. Can you link to where he said that, please? Specifically him wanting to kill the military and prevent us from using SUV's and heating and cooling.
Thank you.

http://afp.google.com/article/...1Re-8vx2Zk5xnYygW1W67w

Originally said by: Barack Obama

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

"That's not leadership. That's not going to happen," he added.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Deudalus
I've never heard him voice those policies, nor have I read that on his site. Can you link to where he said that, please? Specifically him wanting to kill the military and prevent us from using SUV's and heating and cooling.
Thank you.

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

And to think that's what he meant by what he said would require an astonishing level of retardation.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Thank you.

His comment was predicated with:
Pitching his message to Oregon's environmentally-conscious voters, Obama called on the United States to "lead by example" on global warming, and develop new technologies at home which could be exported to developing countries.

I take that to mean we should set a standard. We (particularly people who are enviromentally conscious) can't say we want to do better and not take the steps to do our part. Also saying we should develop new technologies at home is a good thing.

I don't see that quote as him preventing us from using SUVs or not being allowed to use the ac or heating. And I definitely did not read that as him saying he wants to kill the military.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: sammyunltd
ROFL. Obama is up everywhere. He leads every poll...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

if polls meant anything, we'd be talking about presumed nominees Clinton and Guiliani right now and which one is more capable of fixing the mess that President Kerry made.

the RCP average is currently Obama +2.8... probably not something us Obama supporters want to pop the champagne corks over in a week after Obama's had some of the best press coverage since his 11-state victory and McCain delivered the worst speech of the year.

Check out this graph:

http://www.realclearpolitics.c...cain_vs_obama-225.html

...and tell me what you see happening shortly after March 5.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Thank you.

Have you noticed where SUV sales are at the moment? dealers are refusing to take them as trade ins. I think people are waking up and realizing that it couldn't go on like it was.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Thank you.

I wonder if I should be surprised that you equate "prevent[ing] us from using SUVs" with "call[ing] on the United States to 'lead by example' [by not] driv[ing] our SUVs... and then just expect[ing] that other countries are going to say OK"

Oct 30, 2004

Both candidates are bad and neither will address our nation's real issues--like mass immigration, illegal immigration, population explosion, foreign outsourcing, foreign work visas, and global labor arbitrage. Perhaps they'll touch on the non-population-explosion-driven aspects of our nation's energy crisis, but that's probably about it.

I guess I tend to see Obama as the less worse candidate simply because I know he has the ability to think and the Republicans deserve to lose for having given the nation one of its worst presidents.

Oct 30, 2004

Obama really screwed the pooch with that comment and that kind of spirit decreases my desire to vote for him.

What he should have said, was, "We're going to research and implement better energy technologies and practical electric and hybrid vehicles so that Americans can continue to enjoy driving SUVs and having constant air conditioning."

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Obama really screwed the pooch with that comment and that kind of spirit decreases my desire to vote for him.

What he should have said, was, "We're going to research and implement better energy technologies and practical electric and hybrid vehicles so that Americans can continue to enjoy driving SUVs and having constant air conditioning."

Why beat around the bush when he could just cut to the chase? Here's a stump speech for Obama, free of charge:

"My fellow Americans: there are problems out there that we've all contributed to and whose consequences will affect all of us. However, they're too complicated for you to understand. Rest assured, that you will not have to sacrifice anything as we in the government will happily postpone the inevitable with band-aid solutions. Now then, who wants a gas tax holiday?"

You're welcome, Obama.

[Edit] Ooh, and here's a new slogan: newslogan.jpg

jevans64

Feb 10, 2004
Obama also wants to cease manned space flight, cut or eliminate NASA all together, and put that money into our broken public education system. If Obama gets elected into office, I'm placing my bets that he won't even last long enough to give his first state-of-the-union address. Somebody will "wink and smile" him before he can send our hard-earned tax dollars to Africa.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tank171
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Who are they polling anyways? It seems almost impossible to fathom that 50% of Americans want McCain.... I mean CMON! Have they SEEN him speak? Have they READ his policies??? What are the pollsters getting at? Ratings in the mainstream media to keep the audience watching??

I mean honestly, I see come election time: McCain 70. Obama 200. Landslide all the way...

Have YOU read Obama's polocies? I doubt it, since he hardly reveals what he has planned, but when he does, the media doesnt cover it at all. He wants to kill our military and prevent us from using SUVs and heating/air conditioning. Those are some things that he has said (not in those words) in speaches. Do you really want that??

Don't forget, he's also Muslim Hamas-sympathizing terrorist that hates America and wants to destroy democracy! It's all written in his ideas that you can't seem to locate.

[edit]Just pointing out that I was being sarcastic, in case your meters are broken.[/edit]

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Thank you.

And to think that's what he meant by what he said would require an astonishing level of retardation.

Reatarded is the great empty suit saying that in the first place. Oh wait, is that more koolaid!

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
This forum was full of anti-Bush crap last election and he won.

Red states will more than likely always be red. Except maybe Virginia might tilt to Blue this election

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jevans64
Obama also wants to cease manned space flight, cut or eliminate NASA all together, and put that money into our broken public education system. If Obama gets elected into office, I'm placing my bets that he won't even last long enough to give his first state-of-the-union address. Somebody will "wink and smile" him before he can send our hard-earned tax dollars to Africa.

Send our hard-earned tax dollars to Africa. Why would he send our hard earned tax dollars to Africa? Why would you even make this comment?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: tangent1138

Send our hard-earned tax dollars to Africa. Why would he send our hard earned tax dollars to Africa? Why would you even make this comment?

Barack Obama's skin color matches that of people in Africa. YOU DO THE MATH!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is going to be a much closer race than either side will like. Although I support Obama over McCain, I don't like everything he wants, or at least the means he will most likely pursue to accomplish them. Even so, I despise the Reps for what they have done over the last 8 years. Given a choice between the two I pick Obama. The only thing that would change that would be Hillary being VP. In that case I refuse to pick either and will stay home.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Who are they polling anyways? It seems almost impossible to fathom that 50% of Americans want McCain.... I mean CMON! Have they SEEN him speak? Have they READ his policies??? What are the pollsters getting at? Ratings in the mainstream media to keep the audience watching??

I mean honestly, I see come election time: McCain 70. Obama 200. Landslide all the way...

A poll is a snap shot of a dynamic process. I keep an eye on them to look for trends but I would not bet the bank on the results of one poll.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter. They voted for Bush again because that war hero couldn't be trusted with national security. Better to stick with an alcoholic draft-dodger.

This reminds me of an old fight between Larry Holmes and Gerry Cooney. A few rounds into the fight, the announcers said that Cooney was winning. Strange, considering Holmes was beating him all over the ring. Thank goodness Holmes was able to knock him out and take the judges out of the decision.

McCain is the great white hope, hopefully he gets beat down just like Cooney did.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: tangent1138

Bush already is sending $15 billion hard earned tax dollars to Africa in HIV/Aids assistance. I suspect Obama will continue to do the same.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: marincounty
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter.

I hate it when people are so bitter that they say the American voter is stupid because they did not elect their candidate. Does that mean the American Voter was stupid for picking Carter over Ford in light of his dismal performance as President?

John Kerry lost because of his condescending attitude, his constant flip flopping and double speak. He also handled the Swift Boat incident horribly. The American people will not stand to be talked down to by a politician. Obama better learn this early on or he will lose to McCain also. So far he has managed to piss off the wrong demographic of Americans. Obama better start wooing the so called bitter gun toting, bible thumping small town voter he has so far despised. If not he will lose key states like Pennsylvania, West Virgina, Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Edited to change Minnesota to Wisconsin.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Hopefully in debates, when McCain starts asking the moderator what day it is and where they are, Americans will wake up and acknowledge his dementia.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Why beat around the bush when he could just cut to the chase? Here's a stump speech for Obama, free of charge:

"My fellow Americans: there are problems out there that we've all contributed to and whose consequences will affect all of us. However, they're too complicated for you to understand. Rest assured, that you will not have to sacrifice anything as we in the government will happily postpone the inevitable with band-aid solutions. Now then, who wants a gas tax holiday?"

You're welcome, Obama.

Don't you think he's doing exactly the opposite by saying that we have to take a lead in exploring alternative energies? He's the first politician I've heard say that maybe we shouldn't drive around in big SUVs instead of promising that "technology" will fix all our woes.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

You're welcome, Obama.

Don't you think he's doing exactly the opposite by saying that we have to take a lead in exploring alternative energies? He's the first politician I've heard say that maybe we shouldn't drive around in big SUVs instead of promising that "technology" will fix all our woes.

Q: What's easier than taking personal responsibility?
A: Continuing to enjoy driving SUVs and waiting for the government to research better technologies because it's their job

I'm not the one who needs people to vote for me so why do I need to do anything? Isn't it time that we as Americans started asking, "Can't someone else do it?"

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
America does not answer to other countries and that's exactly what he made it sound like when he said that, even if it's not what he means. If it is what he means then it pisses me off to no end. America should lead in innovation simply because we are the best of the best, which is what he should have said, not that we should lead in innovation because the UK does not like our soccer moms driving kids around in her SUV. BIG freakin' difference.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: marincounty
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter.

I hate it when people are so bitter that they say the American voter is stupid because they did not elect their candidate. Does that mean the American Voter was stupid for picking Carter over Ford in light of his dismal performance as President?
No because Ford's performance was dismal and Carter was basically unkown. They showed good judgment not re-electing him. Unfortunately after Bush's dismal performance They showed poor judgment re-electing him.