Obama Makes Another Threat

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
PESHAWAR: Pakistani troops backed by helicopter gunships and artillery have killed more than 50 militants in a two-day offensive near the NWFP capital Peshawar, the army said.

A soldier was also slain in the operation to clear extremist fighters from a strategic road tunnel and other hideouts in the troubled region of Darra Adamkhel, said army spokesman Major Murad Khan.

?Helicopter gunships and artillery are pounding the miscreants' hideouts. More than 50 miscreants have been killed and one soldier was also martyred,? Khan told AFP.

Security forces on Monday launched ?search and cordon? operations in the lawless area, Khan said.

Troops on Monday also took control of the Japanese-built Kohat tunnel, a key road leading out of Peshawar that was occupied by militants last month, Khan added.

Darra Adamkhel is located between the cities of Peshawar and Kohat, and is home to Pakistan's biggest private weapons market.

Officials said earlier that a separate military operation in the troubled tribal region of Bajaur had left 10 militants dead.

An Indian newspaper is reporting that Pakistani security forces fired back at US helicopter gunships forcing them to return. However I can not find another source.

I don't have anything to say anymore. All I can say that an unstable Pakistan will harm the whole world; strategically, security-wise and financially. A lot of the world's trade passes through Pakistan and that is set to increase with a new port at Gwadar for China and the CIS. I must move my financial assets out of these country (or atleast have a viable alternative to go to if things get our of control). But I don't know where. It feels like the whole world is going through financial crisis. Probably the Middle East or Europe.

Whitecloak

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tvarad
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
We have so many enemies - Afghanistan, India (after their Delhi blasts), Israel and now the USA.

Has it ever occurred to you that if you have so many enemies, then the problem is with YOU????

Pakistan is a dysfunctional country which should never have been created in the first place. The sooner it's broken up into it's constituent parts and absorbed by Afghanistan (NWFP, Pashtunistan), Iran (Balochistan), India (Sindh, Punjab, Kashmir) and the like so that historical natural borders are restored, the better it is for the whole world.

But Islamism, like Nazism, has to be completely defeated before sanity can be restored to the world.

:thumbsup:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: Darwin333

I wonder if the guy flying it, who was probably sitting in a secure military base drinking a coke (maybe even in the US), got a blinking "GAME OVER" msg on his screen?

Predators are controlled out of Nellis
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I was struggling with how to put that game over message, I have to admit, EagleKeeper nailed it. As some poor dude at control central is wondering if his joystick is suddenly gostoppen. And after cheerfully killing the innocent and guilty alike, its the greatest punishment ever endured, it turns out there is a reason, cows were out of season, and one of the hunters wasn't insured. But there are ten stuffed heads in his trophy room right now, seven hunters, two game wardens, and a pure bred Guernsey cow.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

This should send a clear message that the Pakistanis are not all-talk. And this coming just one day after the Marriot bombing shows how serious they are. There was be anger against the Taliban and Alaqeeda and one might've suspected we would have welcomed US help.

What do you Americans think? What should your response be to this?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

This should send a clear message that the Pakistanis are not all-talk. And this coming just one day after the Marriot bombing shows how serious they are. There was be anger against the Taliban and Alaqeeda and one might've suspected we would have welcomed US help.

Wipe out the next Pakistani military units that fire on ours.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize

The world is lucky that stupid people like you have no real power. If that happens we will simply cut off all your supplies.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
There is no official response to this, and there won't be until an American soldier actually dies at the hands of a Pakistani soldier.

Until then, the US will continue to operate covertly inside Pakistan, and Pakistan will continue to repel US intrusions.

Neither side can afford a war with the other, and neither side can appear weak to their constituency.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
There is no official response to this, and there won't be until an American soldier actually dies at the hands of a Pakistani soldier.

Until then, the US will continue to operate covertly inside Pakistan, and Pakistan will continue to repel US intrusions.

Neither side can afford a war with the other, and neither side can appear weak to their constituency.

:thumbsup:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

The world is lucky that stupid people like you have no real power.
This is an interesting world you live in, with dynamite vested unicorns and hashish lollipops!

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

Have you enlisted yet?

Forget belittling the lives of others being an armchair general and put yourself on the front line.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001

Not a whole lot. Bush needs to look like he's being tough while the election is going on to try to counter Obama's criticisms of Bush's lack of progress in the region.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

The world is lucky that stupid people like you have no real power. If that happens we will simply cut off all your supplies.
LOL - speaking of stupid. Speaking of supplies, how much effort do you think it would take for the US to blockade your ports? Cease any transport in from Afghanistan? And I'm sure if India chose sides...I hope you like Chinese food!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Have you enlisted yet?

Forget belittling the lives of others being an armchair general and put yourself on the front line.
Have you volunteered to be a human shield yet? Why not just cross the line and join the Taliban. Then we can meet on the battlefield! :thumbsup: Don't forget your beret!

That dumbass response has been played out. Even your candidate supports more aggresssive action in pakistan, which you like to ignore.

Edit: Pakistan not afghanistan.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
That dumbass response has been played out. Even your candidate supports more aggresssive action in afghanistan, which you like to ignore.
Keywords being.

My candidate isn't choosing the dumbass response of declaring war on Pakistan.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
That dumbass response has been played out. Even your candidate supports more aggresssive action in afghanistan, which you like to ignore.
Keywords being.

Typo.

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges. But let me make this clear,'' Obama said. ?If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and (Pakistani) President (Pervez) Musharraf will not act, we will.''

Which is a position I completely agree with.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Keywords being.

Typo.

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges. But let me make this clear,'' Obama said. ?If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and (Pakistani) President (Pervez) Musharraf will not act, we will.''
Keywords being.

Bush isn't sharing intelligence with Zardari or coordinating any missions with his government. He figures he can trespass while the newly elected president is still wet between the ears.

Borders exist for a reason.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Keywords being.

Typo.

Keywords being.

Bush isn't sharing intelligence with Zardari or coordinating any missions with his government. He figures he can trespass while the newly elected president is still wet between the ears.

Borders exist for a reason.

You can try and sugar-coat it all you want, Obama is just as much a hawk on AQ as anyone else. And he has said it.

And you have no fucking clue what our CIA shares with Pakistani intel. Dont mean to burst your bubble.

If that drone wanted to, it would have put a hellfire up that village's ass.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

LOL - speaking of stupid. Speaking of supplies, how much effort do you think it would take for the US to blockade your ports? Cease any transport in from Afghanistan? And I'm sure if India chose sides...I hope you like Chinese food!

Then we would have to respond and do all in our power to break the blockade; even if that means sinking a few US ships - by missiles; or suicide bombs. And India has nothing to gain by blocking our routes. They just opened up a new route though Kashmir to boost trade. That; and we produce more than enough to feed ourselves. It's just that greedy suppliers hoard it to maximize their profits.

A blockade would also mean your bases in the region are fair game. And never underestimate your enemy. Most of the world-changing battles have been lost because of arrogance. You can't afford a war. Financially you are near bankruptcy. At home your war weariness is at a high. You hold no credibility as an international power and the world sees you as oppressors. You would have more to lose from a blockade than us. Let's see for how much longer the world takes to change its colors to a fast dwindling superpower.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
If that drone wanted to, it would have put a hellfire up that village's ass.
I guess that drone was a big fat pussy then, wasn't it?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Then we would have to respond and do all in our power to break the blockade; even if that means sinking a few US ships - by missiles; or suicide bombs. And India has nothing to gain by blocking our routes. They just opened up a new route though Kashmir to boost trade. That; and we produce more than enough to feed ourselves. It's just that greedy suppliers hoard it to maximize their profits.

A blockade would also mean your bases in the region are fair game. And never underestimate your enemy. Most of the world-changing battles have been lost because of arrogance. You can't afford a war. Financially you are near bankruptcy. At home your war weariness is at a high. You hold no credibility as an international power and the world sees you as oppressors. You would have more to lose from a blockade than us. Let's see for how much longer the world takes to change its colors to a fast dwindling superpower.

I guess if we can't afford a war then we just get rid of religiously backwards parts of the world.. We have too many nukes already

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If Green Bean is the typical sentiment in Pakistan, then war needs to be declared and then waged.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
I guess if we can't afford a war then we just get rid of religiously backwards parts of the world.. We have too many nukes already

I guess we need to test our ICBM soon.