Obama is flunking economics

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Obama is flunking economics

He's just taking the exam now.

The grades will be posted later.

(I'd him less responsible if he, and those in his admin, had drafted the stim bill. But he willingly and completely handed that over to Pelosi.

If Geithner screws up, it's on Obama because he chose him.)

Fern

It's almost like Congress is supposed to draft legislation or something.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: CPA

They won't tolerate any criticism of the president or his administration, finding it easier to simply attack critics. And whatever goes wrong that they can't defend or deflect, they just blame on George W. Bush.

thanks for proving the commentator correct.

Except that you're being an idiot for claiming that any defense of Obama, however justified against an attack however wrong, is 'not tolerating any criticism of the president'.

Idiotic for that and for the fact that I've posted numerous times criticizing Obama and his administration.

What it proves is that you are irrational, on this at least, leaping to the simplistic attack in the quotes in the face of the facts - posting something false.

It'd be fair to say:

CPA won't tolerate any defense of the president or his administration, finding it easier to simply attack defenders. And whatever goes wrong with their argument that they can't defend or deflect, they just blame the defender for somehow not allowing any attacks on the president and his administration..

Defend the substance of the attack, CPA, and stop with the blind ideology that leaves you here posting completely groundless attacks that don't even try to discuss the issues.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Medellon
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
WTF? CNN allowing thoughtful commentaries that make sense??? I don't really know who Navarrette is, but I'm liking him!

Gotcha, op-ed pieces you agree with are 'thoughtful commentaries' and op-eds you disagree with make no sense. You then go on to call one of the brightest, most intellectual presidents we've had an "idiot." Well done.

Obama a brillant man? If I have heard that once I've heard it a thousand times. What makes him brilliant, the fact that he can read and present a prepared speech well? Honestly I just don't see his brilliance.

If Einstein tried to explain relativity to you you'd probably walk away muttering that he was some crazy dude with out of control hair. You can't see that Obama's exceptionally bright? Go read his books, or skim them even. The reason you keep hearing how bright he is is because people who know (love him or hate him) him cite that as a defining characteristic. Only a partisan could attack Obama on his intellectual credentials with a straight face.

That still proves nothing. Go read his books, what does that prove? Only that he had good editors probably. I have said he is a good presenter of material prepared for him. What the hell has he done? What fresh ideas has he originated? What original thought and theory has he presented?

Yes, his editors graduated him magna cum laude from Harvard Law too. Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have said he is a good presenter of material prepared for him. What the hell has he done?

I like the way another poster put it - the 'telemprompter' talking point is proof of ODS. The phrase I use is 'being a right-wing ideologue who parrots nonsense'.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Obama a brillant man? If I have heard that once I've heard it a thousand times. What makes him brilliant, the fact that he can read and present a prepared speech well? Honestly I just don't see his brilliance.

He graduated with honors from the most competitive division of the most competitive school in the country?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234
I have said he is a good presenter of material prepared for him. What the hell has he done?

I like the way another poster put it - the 'telemprompter' talking point is proof of ODS. The phrase I use is 'being a right-wing ideologue who parrots nonsense'.

Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Abraham Lincoln*\any current Democrat

*I know Mr Lincoln is not running but I can not think of another Republican I could vote for right now.

I like your answer the best so far.

For me, the hardest to pick between could be Kucinich/Edwards, because both are committed to the restoration of more power to the public and less to corporations, or between Edwards/Obama because Edwards has the better ideology, but Obama has the people skills to be able to make large changes, if he will make good ones.

You actually posted this Craig234? Kucinich...Kucinich you kidding me?(Think Jim Mora at his press conference). Come on dude I figured you smarter than this.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Really? Tell me 5 things he has done that you are pleased with. Hell, tell me 3.

1. Took a stand against the abuse of 'signing statements', the Bush administration's use of them to implement their radican, unconstitutional 'unitary presidency' theory, and his implementation of a review of the Bush administration's signing statements to see if any actions are needed now by him to ensure they are not having any inappropriate impact.

2. Reversing the Bush administration's terrible crippling of the Freedom of Information Act - for the first time, the Act now has the protection of an Executive Order supporing it.

(If you aren't familiar with the issue, the FOIA is a critical tool for investigative reporters, and therefore the public to monitor the government's wrongs (you'd think the right wing would support that sort of thing - they accuse the government of doing wrong but bizarrely are weak in supporting the tool to get that info.) Clinton had the AG issue a memo directing cooperation; Bush had the AG issue one directing agencies to provide the least possible cooperation. Obama issued an Executive Order directing cooperation.)

3. His overtures to Iran - we have a hell of a lot to apologize for, and we should take responsiblity for our mistakes both because it's right and because it's effective diplomacy.

It doesn't restrict his policy options - rather, it removes a barrier to reaching any agreements with them.

For a bonus item - on the economic crisis, he's said many of the right things, such as the need for Wall Street reform, and that he's looking at long-term fixes to keep the system from having these risks even while he deals with the crisis, and that he's seeing the need to try more radical than less radical approaches, like FDR. I have some reservations about some things on the policies we see, but I like what he's said very much.

Another bonus item - his 'honesty by government' transparency approach. While there are no doubt imperfections, he's taken large steps to have the government do better there.

He's acting like a real democrat - not the Democratic Party, but someone who believes in the rule of the people and therefore their right to information on what government does.

I could go on but you asked for three. I could add that he also simply is not doing the horrible things like Bush did or McCain planned to do, too.

I also like his taking the position that healthcare reform is essential to the economy recovering and it needs to be done sooner than later. He's right.

And prioritizing 'green', as another policy issue our country will benefit from.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Yet another thread about GOP screaming "WE'RE GOING TO BE BANKRUPT" alarmist bullsht when the only way out of this recession is to inject more money into it. Here's usually how this process works, test it out in other partisan threads today:

a) Obama is critisized for proposing too much money.
b) Conservatives come in and say he's going to bankrupt us and our kids.
c) Conservatives have no better solution to offer than Obama's big spending plan.
d) Rinse and repeat until the recession is over.

PS: I'm a fiscal conservative and have no problem with injecting the economy with more money to get us out of this flaming financial mess.

The Republicans just unveiled their own budget.

Link please?

http://www.gop.gov/solutions/b...road-to-recovery-final

Cut taxes. (Yeah that always works.)

Talks about the inflation monster. (Doesnt exsist)

Unrealistic health care plan mantra. (You cant give a tax cut at the end of the year to someone who cant afford health care in the first place.)

Talking about the bad health care monster universal healthcare would bring (even though the current system they wish to perpetuate is just as bad if not worse).

Doubletalk about energy, condemns an increase in energy taxes, complains of energy needs rising. (making it more expensive will curb usage... econ 101.) Talks of alternative resources... but then names oil exploration and oil shale as those sources...

The same graph shown about 20 times...

I am an independant voter, and this plan is unrealistic and downright a retarded continuation of the same failed policies.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
-snip-

Yeah, or even read it.

We both know he could've had input. He ran around selling it (stim package) before they drafted it - cough, cough infrastructure - he campaigned on it etc.

IMO, what we later got out of Congress didn't match his sales pitch. Since he did nothing about it trying to make it do so, I feel he's more responsible than otherwise.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
-snip-

Yeah, or even read it.

We both know he could've had input. He ran around selling it (stim package) before they drafted it - cough, cough infrastructure - he campaigned on it etc.

IMO, what we later got out of Congress didn't match his sales pitch. Since he did nothing about it trying to make it do so, I feel he's more responsible than otherwise.

Fern

He had a huge amount of input into it, what are you talking about? As for the infrastructure thing, we already talked about this. The bill contained a bit less than $200 billion for infrastructure out of $357 billion in total spending.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't agree with those numbers ($200 bil)

$397b sounds about right after reducing for AMT inflaion adj.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Abraham Lincoln*\any current Democrat

*I know Mr Lincoln is not running but I can not think of another Republican I could vote for right now.

I like your answer the best so far.

For me, the hardest to pick between could be Kucinich/Edwards, because both are committed to the restoration of more power to the public and less to corporations, or between Edwards/Obama because Edwards has the better ideology, but Obama has the people skills to be able to make large changes, if he will make good ones.

You actually posted this Craig234? Kucinich...Kucinich you kidding me?

Yes, and I'll defend the pick - even while I'll agree that the pick takes some explanation.

It's his principles, his priorities, his policies, his determination to do the right thing as I see it, that I'm looking at, and I did and do think he'd do a lot of good as president, esepcially as a Bush antidote to fix those problems, but there's not much doubt that it's an academic question. But he's one of the very few - Bernie Sanders is another - people who I think have the understanding of what's needed who is even as close as being in Congress.

But as I said in another thread, Obama has been at least saying a lot of the right things, about the need for reform on Wall Street and systemic fixes for long-term fixes.

Don't just give me superficial, cosmetic concerns about Kucinich, look at his votes and his policy statements and discuss those. Your post lacks much specificity.

Similarly, Edwards has become a partial embarrassment for his personal behavior, but my position on him was for his political principles - a distinction long made with JFK.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't agree with those numbers ($200 bil)

$397b sounds about right after reducing for AMT inflaion adj.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't agree with those numbers, but I think most reasonable people would list education, power grid improvements, waterway improvements, highways, etc. as 'infrastructure'. Just saying "well, I don't!" doesn't really mean much, and it doesn't really make your argument about Obama selling us a bill of goods on the infrastructure thing any more sound.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

That says more about you than it does about Obama. As someone who has not been that big an Obama fan during the campaign, the 'idiot' comments are still, well, idiotic.

Though he's grown on me a lot as President now.

You don't get to be the editor of the Harvard Law Review for no reason. His policy statements have, IMO, been outstanding on these complex issues. Idiot, indeed.

You have a little something there on your nose :p

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Yeah, or even read it.

Fern

He had a huge amount of input into it, what are you talking about? As for the infrastructure thing, we already talked about this. The bill contained a bit less than $200 billion for infrastructure out of $357 billion in total spending.

"Huge amount of input" ? Are you crazy? Where's the proof of that? Or was it Obama who included the section where AIG was entitled to receive bonuses? Was it Obama who inputted the Teamsters payoff that sparked a trade war with Mexico?

As far as I can tell, Obama told Marie Antoinette, oops I mean Nancy Pelosi, he wants an $800 billion spending bill, and please make it appear bi-partisan even if it's not. Beyond that, beyond having a couple token diners to fake bi-partisanship, what did he do?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Holy Herbert Hoover! Even Mr Hoover realized that balancing the budget, lowering Federal government spending, during a recession is a bad idea.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Holy Herbert Hoover! Even Mr Hoover realized that balancing the budget, lowering Federal government spending, during a recession is a bad idea.

That's not what the Democrats said in 2002.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

What did the Democrats say in 2002?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

http://budget.senate.gov/democ..._FY02deficit102502.pdf

The Bush administration has now officially announced that the deficit for 2002 will be
$159 billion. This is a sad reminder of how far our nation?s finances have fallen since the Bush administration took office.

Over the ten-year period between 2002 and 2011, the previously projected $5.6 trillion
surplus almost disappears, and if we implement the President?s proposed policies, it becomes a $400 billion deficit

This announcement reminds us, in no uncertain terms, that the era of surpluses is over.
Sadly, the Bush administration has no plan to put an end to this new era of deficits. In fact, the Bush economic plan will only drive us deeper into deficits for as far as the eye can see.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

The Bush administration has now officially announced that the deficit for 2002 will be
$159 billion. This is a sad reminder of how far our nation?s finances have fallen since the Bush administration took office.

Over the ten-year period between 2002 and 2011, the previously projected $5.6 trillion
surplus almost disappears, and if we implement the President?s proposed policies, it becomes a $400 billion deficit

This announcement reminds us, in no uncertain terms, that the era of surpluses is over.
Sadly, the Bush administration has no plan to put an end to this new era of deficits. In fact, the Bush economic plan will only drive us deeper into deficits for as far as the eye can see.

I referred to reducing Federal government spending during a recession.

How many Democrats voted against Mr Bush's budget back in 2002?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

I referred to reducing Federal government spending during a recession.

How many Democrats voted against Mr Bush's budget back in 2002?

http://www.usmayors.org/usmayo..._02_01/2002_budget.asp

Following a highly charged partisan floor debate, the House approved a $1.9 trillion fiscal year 2002 budget resolution on March 28 by a vote of 222-205, mostly along party lines. The proposal generally adopts the President's spending and tax cut plan, which calls for $660.6 billion in discretionary spending. This will allow a four percent increase above the 2001 appropriations levels. It also authorizes the Ways and Means Committee to reduce taxes by $1.6 trillion over the next ten years. Only three Democrats voted for the measure, while two Republicans voted against it.

Smack in the middle of a recession there. Of course, people like Mr. Conrad cried about a deficit 1/10th the size of this years.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: cubby1223

That says more about you than it does about Obama. As someone who has not been that big an Obama fan during the campaign, the 'idiot' comments are still, well, idiotic.

Though he's grown on me a lot as President now.

You don't get to be the editor of the Harvard Law Review for no reason. His policy statements have, IMO, been outstanding on these complex issues. Idiot, indeed.

You have a little something there on your nose :p

Hardly. I'll take it from your smiley you did not mean that and were joking.

But to say a couple words on it, not only is it fitting to praise where praise is deserved, it's especially notable to say that when I was one of the few who found Obama's 2004 convention speech 'decent but not great, filled with empty phrases' while it launched him as a presidential candidate to wild acclaim with most at least calling it 'great'.

It's a terribly cheap shot to call any praise, however deserved, brown nosing.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is O'Bamma taking advice from Banks? Are not banks the problem???? What about the tax payers???