Obama event draws 100,000 in Missouri

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I was there, what is funny is that some of the elevated pictures don't show the sheer size of the crowd because you have thousands of people hidden in the trees and out near the lake area milling around because there simply wasn't enough room to be in the visible area.

This was an amazing event and I feel very fortunate to have been able to be there to experience it.

I saw so much hope, happiness, togetherness with everyone. Pretty freakin sweet.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: mizzou
I was there, what is funny is that some of the elevated pictures don't show the sheer size of the crowd because you have thousands of people hidden in the trees and out near the lake area milling around because there simply wasn't enough room to be in the visible area.

This was an amazing event and I feel very fortunate to have been able to be there to experience it.

I saw so much hope, happiness, togetherness with everyone. Pretty freakin sweet.

so much truth in this post...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Bigger image.

Oh, my wife and I are in the grove of trees on the upper right, that area was packed full of people and extended out a ways to the right by the lake/pond

Originally posted by: eits

so much truth in this post...

Thanks for posting the pics eits

Hopefully you and your family saw a great part of history.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I'll post my photos tomorrow, I have some good pictures of crowds just trying to get onto the field.

my pictures of the event itself are pretty bad because because of the terrain

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Ahh, most awesome moment of this was when Obama asked those who make under $250,000 to raise their hand.

I have a feeling that people will take that photo out of context =)

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Mizzou is a swing state, will be interesting to see how the final weeks play out. 100,000 is a lot of people for a small city.

Mizzo is normally solid red like Oklahoma.

I'm not sure why it would be in play this year except maybe St Louis is hurting.

I haven't been there all this year so maybe things went down fast.

Obama will not need North Carolina if he wins Missouri.

Missouri is not a solid Red State. Missouri has voted for the winning presidential nominee every time, save once, in the last 100 years.

A state that went to Clinton in '92 and '96 and went for Carter in '76 is not solidly Red.

All the rural areas are pretty solidly red, as with most rural areas, but we have Kansas City, St. Louis, and Columbia that lean Blue.

BTW, Mizzou refers to the University of Missouri, not the State of Missouri.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: misle
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Mizzou is a swing state, will be interesting to see how the final weeks play out. 100,000 is a lot of people for a small city.
Mizzo is normally solid red like Oklahoma.
I'm not sure why it would be in play this year except maybe St Louis is hurting.
I haven't been there all this year so maybe things went down fast.
Obama will not need North Carolina if he wins Missouri.
Missouri is not a solid Red State. Missouri has voted for the winning presidential nominee every time, save once, in the last 100 years.
A state that went to Clinton in '92 and '96 and went for Carter in '76 is not solidly Red.
All the rural areas are pretty solidly red, as with most rural areas, but we have Kansas City, St. Louis, and Columbia that lean Blue.
BTW, Mizzou refers to the University of Missouri, not the State of Missouri.
I wouldn't bother pointing out that distinction to Dave; after all, "the most (poorly) educated American on the internet" can't even spell Mizzou.

Dave also seems to have a political historical perspective approximating that of a fruitfly, so he might really think Harry Truman's home state has always been solidly Republican.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
To those who did attend, I have to ask, Why? I'm not being a smart ass, I just don't see what the point is. What is it you were hoping or expecting to experience being in the presence of this man? Is it curiosity? Is it inspiration?
Is it Hope? Was it a desire to bond with like minded strangers, a yearning to be part of some communal 'oversoul'?

I tried to equate it with the same reason people attend sporting events and concerts, but those are attended merely for their aesthetic appeal, desired for themselves with no transcendent reasons. I can't imagine this many people attended because of Obama's musical voice, or visual appeal.

I just don't get it.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: CrazyHelloDeli
I just don't get it.

its really quite simple, not much to 'get'. Americans are excited about an intelligent and progressive future under Obama after dealing with a horrific eight years.

it is fear and hatred that blind most who 'don't get it'.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: alien42
I just don't get it.

its really quite simple, not much to 'get'. Americans are excited about an intelligent and progressive future under Obama after dealing with a horrific eight years.

I'm sure it is comforting for you to dismiss my puzzlement as fear and hatred, however, the only feeling I have toward either candidate personally, is apathy. I don't find Obama or McCain to be anything other than typical politicians who will do or say anything to get elected.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I just don't get it.

I'm sure it is comforting for you to dismiss my puzzlement as fear and hatred, however, the only feeling I have toward either candidate personally, is apathy. I don't find Obama or McCain to be anything other than vanilla politicians who will do or say anything to get elected.

Obama's chocolate, baby.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
I just don't get it.

I'm sure it is comforting for you to dismiss my puzzlement as fear and hatred, however, the only feeling I have toward either candidate personally, is apathy. I don't find Obama or McCain to be anything other than vanilla politicians who will do or say anything to get elected.

Obama's chocolate, baby.

So I've heard.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I just don't get it.

Alot of people go for inspiration, some go to show support, some go for curiosity, some don't even know why they go.

I guess it's called being 'active' as opposed to 'passive' during the election year

If you are wondering why people are active or passive, it's not really a easy question to answer, but the person behind the podium makes a world of a difference.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Wow, that's a lot... :-/ Well, alright... Big whoop, NEWS: Fools go watch Obama

Hurray-----!!!! :)

Oh and I don't think McCain is any better... Just sayin', all the candidates suck really. (RP is about the best there is of the candidates I have seen)

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Maybe ACORN was passing out crack? BO hasn't had a big rally yet (staged photo ops really) where peeps weren't lured with something. Intelligent people aren't swayed by this rubbish. "Ooohhhh look at the big rally..BO must be really good" Hah US a third world freekin country now.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Maybe ACORN was passing out crack? BO hasn't had a big rally yet (staged photo ops really) where peeps weren't lured with something. Intelligent people aren't swayed by this rubbish. "Ooohhhh look at the big rally..BO must be really good" Hah US a third world freekin country now.

QUICK! The person outside your window wants to buttfuck you. Go get him!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Do you even believe your own bitter bullshit, or is it that you just can't stop yourself from spewing due to some tragic but basic character flaw?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Now that Butterbean has seen definitive proof of midwestern support (meaning that polls may not be a conspiracy by Dem's!) he's given up all hope.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Give me a B!
Give me a U!
Give me a T!
Give me a T!
Give me a ... oh, I can't wait, bb. Turn around and drop your pants.