Obama doesn't have to compromise with Republicans

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
He has the upper hand with regards to sequestration. He gets the tax increases he wants and major cuts to defense. By doing nothing, Democrats get exactly what they've wanted for some time.

The Republicans HAVE to compromise. They have no choice.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You overestimate. What you can expect is four years of gridlock. I'm hoping both sides well stop being idiots and start thinking. Not likely, but it could happen.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
You overestimate. What you can expect is four years of gridlock. I'm hoping both sides well stop being idiots and start thinking. Not likely, but it could happen.

No you don't understand.

By simply not doing ANYTHING, the Democrats get exactly what they want. Tax increases and defense cuts.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Sure, he has the upper hand, on this one subject. Probably not a great idea if he wants even a shred of cooperation on other issues though. He'd be far better off by allowing them some small concessions for them to save face, since the GOP led House still controls the purse.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Obama once extended his hand to the GOP in a spirit of compromise. He got bitten for it. He does not need to repeat the same mistake.

Time to spend that political capitol.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
agreed!! The main reason that is not likely is because if both sides want to take the credit for whatever good were to happen!!

Jan 25, 2011
Boehner has already come out tonight to declare that congress will not consider anything on taxes now that Obama has been re-elected.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
ENPO5.jpg

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Fiscal cliff will come. Democrats do nothing and basically get everything they want.

Republicans are in NO POSITION to make demands.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Boehner has already come out tonight to declare that congress will not consider anything on taxes now that Obama has been re-elected.

Methinks Boehner suffers from sour grapes and short-sightedness. It's like spanking a thoroughly spoiled child: All you get out of it is a red-faced, vein bulging, eye popping brat screaming in blood curdling hair raising defiance.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You either don't read the news, get news from a poor source, or have problems with memory loss like most Americans.

How about a link and a quote? Like this one about Rahm.

Rahm, writes Woodward, responded to such Republican complaints with, “We have the votes. Fuck ’em.” Cantor boasts that Obama (and Rahm) did the Republicans a favor: “…he had unified and energized the losers.
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-M...rice-of-Politics-Rahms-Behavior-Then-and-Now/

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I want four years of gridlock. It forces the states to recognize the need to do things themselves.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If the Republicans continue to act in the manner that they did once they decided the most important thing is to get Obama out of office - the public is going to start catching on - they can kiss their seats good-bye. (Pun intended.) It's the Republicans who need to learn to compromise.