Obama Administration to File Suit Against Arizona Immigration Law

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
its disgusting that illegals get more rights and protections than citizens do. Obama sucks and im starting to think sucks a whole lot more than Bush.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Typical for this administration... thumb it's nose at the people and insult them by asserting that it's only racists that can support the rule of law.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
It probably makes sense legally but I agree with you wingnuts, this makes no sense politically. I don't think this is a popular move with Hispanics at all, only the far left.

I'm late to the Obama hate circlejerk it seems.

There are a few issues with the law, that most of the right leaning posters here love to ignore.

1. The law allows the officer on the scene's discretion to make the call on who to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency. This leaves the whole thing a gaping hole for abuse.
2. Drivers Licenses from a good number of states are NOT proof of citizenship. A US citizen from another state could be held until they are able to produce that proof.
3. As stated before immigration enforcement is left up to the feds.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Best line ever. We've already decided to file suit, now we're reading the law to find out why we're filing suit.
Sounds vaguely familiar. I seem to remember something about passing the bill so we can find out what's in it?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
At least this is Administration is trying to hold up justice and equality unlike the previous one.

I can't wait until this is law repealed. Freedom!

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
At least this is Administration is trying to hold up justice and equality unlike the previous one.

I can't wait until this is law repealed. Freedom!

troll more.

justice is what this law is doing.

equality? Why should I be supporting illegals with my hard earned money, while they cant go through LEGAL processes to become citizens.

I cant wait till obama gets his shit shoveled in his face with this. There is NO way in HELL the Supreme Court will side with obama on this. If they do, then it will be safe to assume the Supreme Court is NOT doing its sole job.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

There are a few issues with the law, that most of the right leaning posters here love to ignore.

1. The law allows the officer on the scene's discretion to make the call on who to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency. This leaves the whole thing a gaping hole for abuse. Personally, I don't give a flying fuck. I want people who broke our laws that are here illegally dealt with in the harshest method possible. Under the constraints desired by progressives, no individual would ever be arrested unless they turned themselves in and even then it would be unlikely.

2. Drivers Licenses from a good number of states are NOT proof of citizenship. A US citizen from another state could be held until they are able to produce that proof. This talking point is too ignorant to warrant comment.

3. As stated before immigration enforcement is left up to the feds. For the five thousandth time, they're not doing it. They're not because until recently, the minority in this country felt they could run roughshod over the desires of the majority. That's changing and for the better. If the feds had done their job, we wouldn't be talking about this.

My comments in bold.

Disclaimer: I'm a right leaning poster.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
troll more.

justice is what this law is doing.

equality? Why should I be supporting illegals with my hard earned money, while they cant go through LEGAL processes to become citizens.

I cant wait till obama gets his shit shoveled in his face with this. There is NO way in HELL the Supreme Court will side with obama on this. If they do, then it will be safe to assume the Supreme Court is NOT doing its sole job.

The law is inheritely racist, and will be struck down by the courts despite and somewhat conservative leaning court even.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The law is inheritely racist, and will be struck down by the courts despite and somewhat conservative leaning court even.

It's only inherently racist if you're racist enough to assume that all illegals are of a different race. It's not inherently racist if you realize that while Mexicans and Central Americans make up a majority of our illegals they are far from the only ones. I've met illegal Brits, Canadians, Irish, Russians, etc on top of the illegals I've met from Mexico and various parts of Central America. So if you're racist to assume that all illegals are Mexican, then sure this is inherently racist.

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
Once again, everyone that out and out says the law is racist is just being politically correct.

We are talking about people that are here ILLEGALLY! Meaning they have broken laws to be here. Not to mention the services they steal, that are paid for by Citizens and LEGAL Immigrants.

This law is terrible because it gives the Police a right to ask for documentation?

I am a natural born citizen. I am white. If I am pulled over or stopped by a police officer, one of the first things I will be asked for is Proper ID. Why should this not be the same for Anyone pulled over or detained. Outside a Motor vehicle, I do not have to show ID when asked, but you can be damn sure I will be taking a drive downtown to explain why I am not showing it.

This issue is just vote pandering and Political correctness over blown. If the Federal Government wants to allow Illegals in, come up with a plan to document them, and limit what they can take in the way of services they do not pay for.

I can't wait till all other states begin passing similar laws.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm glad this issue is finally being fought over.
And like abortion I dont even care which way it goes, just so long as someone is forced to make a hard decision and enforce it from now on.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Congratulations being a fascist douche monger.

Hey, I wanted to post that!

On a more serious note, there are lots of good things in SB1070, like the fines for hiring of illegals.
But the three points I made are likely to be the laws undoing.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Congratulations being a fascist douche monger.
I've been called far worse. I have to have at least a smidgen of respect for someone for it to even begin to have any influence on me. Comprende?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Maybe because the illegals are mostly citizens of Mexico? Just maybe?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
they vote on legislation that way, why stop with other legal matters.

Sounds vaguely familiar. I seem to remember something about passing the bill so we can find out what's in it?
Excellent points. I guess this is business as usual.

1. The law allows the officer on the scene's discretion to make the call on who to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency. This leaves the whole thing a gaping hole for abuse.
2. Drivers Licenses from a good number of states are NOT proof of citizenship. A US citizen from another state could be held until they are able to produce that proof.
3. As stated before immigration enforcement is left up to the feds.
Zounds! A cop being empowered to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency? A gaping hole for abuse! We must ensure that only people who aren't there and will never ask proof of citizenship or legal residency are empowered to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency! Only then can we reach the Holy Grail of society, having laws and making sure they aren't enforced.

During Prohibition the Democrat Party's platform on prohibition was (paraphrased) "The Democrat Party is in favor of laws prohibiting the manufacture and sale of alcohol, but we are against their enforcement." It's good to see that the Dems have such respect for that tradition that they are spreading its doctrine to other areas of law.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
It's only inherently racist if you're racist enough to assume that all illegals are of a different race. It's not inherently racist if you realize that while Mexicans and Central Americans make up a majority of our illegals they are far from the only ones. I've met illegal Brits, Canadians, Irish, Russians, etc on top of the illegals I've met from Mexico and various parts of Central America. So if you're racist to assume that all illegals are Mexican, then sure this is inherently racist.

The law disproportionately targets the Hispanic ethnicity, that's racist, illegal and I suspect unconstitutional.

boomerang said:
Personally, I don't give a flying fuck. I want people who broke our laws that are here illegally dealt with in the harshest method possible. Under the constraints desired by progressives, no individual would ever be arrested unless they turned themselves in and even then it would be unlikely.

Fortunately, the Constitution protects the rights of those whom even aren't citizens of our own country so we don't have idiots abusing those who come to our country just trying to find jobs that pay below minimum wage.

They are currently an estimated ten million illegal immigrants in the United States, with a number this significant it's basically impossible to remove them. The best option would be to finally secure our borders and give amnesty and citizenship to those who are currently in the United States illegally.

werepossum said:
Zounds! A cop being empowered to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency? A gaping hole for abuse! We must ensure that only people who aren't there and will never ask proof of citizenship or legal residency are empowered to ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency! Only then can we reach the Holy Grail of society, having laws and making sure they aren't enforced.

Fortunately, the United States is a free country and we're not required to carry identification. This law solely rests on a persons "look" and that by definition isn't considered "reasonable suspicion". A drivers license isn't even evidence that someone is in the country legally.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Excellent points. I guess this is business as usual.

During Prohibition the Democrat Party's platform on prohibition was (paraphrased) "The Democrat Party is in favor of laws prohibiting the manufacture and sale of alcohol, but we are against their enforcement." It's good to see that the Dems have such respect for that tradition that they are spreading its doctrine to other areas of law.

Thank you for taking what I said completely out of context, not surprising though.
You post makes you sound like you might be an illegal, can I check your citizenship status?
And no that DL you are carrying, doesn't prove anything. Got anything else?