Obama Administration to File Suit Against Arizona Immigration Law

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
obama-administration-file-suit-arizona-immigration-law

Here's the entire article for those that don't want to click the link. It's a short one.

The Obama administration will file suit to challenge Arizona's immigration law, an official told Fox News on Friday.
The confirmation comes after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview earlier this month that the administration would challenge the law in court, though officials had long said the issue was under review.
An official told Fox News on Friday that the Department of Justice is still reviewing the law to build the administration's case -- but that the decision has already been made that a suit will be filed.

I see this as great news. Yet another kiss my ass from this administration directed towards the majority. At this point I see only one way the November elections could turn out well for the Dem's - they'd have to not be held.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Which will have a bigger effect: hispanics that don't like the AZ law, or conservatives and moderates that do like the AZ law?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This is going to piss off a very substantial majority of the country. What the hell is he thinking?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It probably makes sense legally but I agree with you wingnuts, this makes no sense politically. I don't think this is a popular move with Hispanics at all, only the far left.

Danube

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Obama is just thinking into the future. He and his crew want the votes of illegals some day and to erase the borders - make America "Mexico North". He doesn't care if he suffers for now (he's young and could make a comeback in 12 yrs) or if he breaks Dem party for now. Obama seems himself first as a citizen of the world and doesn't really like Amerika. Maybe he would like to be King of the world some day judging from how he acts and what he wrote in cement back at his high school in Hawaii.

144ae0.jpg

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Good grief we need a case study to determine the net economic effect of illegal immigrants in order to end the argument. Arizona has offered to be the case study. There should be a lot of issues higher on Obama's list of priorities.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
My understanding of the law - and I'll admit maybe I am misunderstanding it - is that it empowers local and state police officers to be able to do the same thing that federal officers can do. If that is correct then I am confused on how there could be legal (Constitutional?) grounds for saying that the federal government can enforce some particular set of laws that the state cannot enforce. Does that not breach the concept of state's rights?

Honestly I am note entirely certain how I feel about the Arizona law, however I do think the citizens of Arizona should be allowed to pass their own laws within reasonable confines of the US Constitution, regardless how I feel about it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I CANT WAIT for the court hearing! Obama will get laughed at

But think of the consequences if AZ loses. It would be a death blow to The Constitution.

Article IV Section 4:
"The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
To attack a state instead of defending it from invasion is nothing short of treason.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
So what grounds will the Administration argue on? What are their chances of winning?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So what grounds will the Administration argue on? What are their chances of winning?

They've been playing the civil rights card the entire time. Civil rights act did have something in it about country of origin but this law isn't going after anybody of a specific country of origin so they'd have no case there.

I see nothing but bad things for Obama by making this move. Unless they really are going to push through amnesty. There's been a growing theory that Obama and congressional democrats will use the time between the November elections and new members coming into session to pass all kinds of whacked out laws that will keep them in power.

It just doesn't make any sense. If he wins, an overwhelming majority are going to be very ticked off at him. If he loses, an overwhelming majority are going to be very ticked off at him for even attempting it.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
They've been playing the civil rights card the entire time. Civil rights act did have something in it about country of origin but this law isn't going after anybody of a specific country of origin so they'd have no case there.

I see nothing but bad things for Obama by making this move. Unless they really are going to push through amnesty. There's been a growing theory that Obama and congressional democrats will use the time between the November elections and new members coming into session to pass all kinds of whacked out laws that will keep them in power.

It just doesn't make any sense. If he wins, an overwhelming majority are going to be very ticked off at him. If he loses, an overwhelming majority are going to be very ticked off at him for even attempting it.

OK, I know he is in political trouble for doing this, but you may be surprised at his supporters. Obviously, the Latinos will support him. However, I'm sure big business supports him as well. But getting back to my question, does he see the law as stepping on the federal government's power? I honestly don't see how he can win this if the police are just sending the illegals to ICE for processing. The state is not deporting them.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OK, I know he is in political trouble for doing this, but you may be surprised at his supporters. Obviously, the Latinos will support him. However, I'm sure big business supports him as well. But getting back to my question, does he see the law as stepping on the federal government's power? I honestly don't see how he can win this if the police are just sending the illegals to ICE for processing. The state is not deporting them.

Like I said, they've been saying it likely violates civil rights act.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Agree with it or not, federal law trumps state law. Immigration is a federal area of law and displaces state laws. That will be the Federal government's argument. HOWEVER, I don't see how this state law conflicts with federal policies or laws, so I could see the federal government losing.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Like I said, they've been saying it likely violates civil rights act.

OK. If you're Obama, how would you think this violates the Civil Rights Act? I'm really trying to understand it from his point of view.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Ugh, I could support this if and only if the federal government would actually do something to address the illegal immigration problem. The whole reason that AZ passed this law was because the federal government was downright negligent in enforcing its own laws. Yes, it does raise legitimate civil liberties concerns, but what other alternative do they have? Challenging the AZ law is a lose-lose for the Obama administration, and quite possibly for the people of AZ.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
An official told Fox News on Friday that the Department of Justice is still reviewing the law to build the administration's case -- but that the decision has already been made that a suit will be filed.

Best line ever. We've already decided to file suit, now we're reading the law to find out why we're filing suit.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
F'ing ridiculous. the regime is making me miss the Bush regime, as crazy as that sounds

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
F'ing ridiculous. the regime is making me miss the Bush regime, as crazy as that sounds

Especially since it was the obama administrations preferred method of message delivery... tell some other news outlet in a foreign country and have Arizona find out that way.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
OBAMA AND HIS CRIMINAL CABAL HAVE GONE TO FAR!!!!!!!!111!!!1*insert 23564 smilies of frowns, roses, mad faces etc*

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Arizona to federal government - "Please! We need help, we are being overrun, our police are outmanned and out gunned, we need help!"

Obama - "Nah, how about I sue you racists?"