Oakland: Jogger throws homeless mans stuff into lake.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44454010

If the community cares so much about this guy, why was he homeless? Why wasn't he given a job? Or if he's mentally ill and cant take care of himself, why wasn't he in a facility?

Why is it people always seem to "care so much" after some asshole points out they never did shit beforehand?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44454010

If the community cares so much about this guy, why was he homeless? Why wasn't he given a job? Or if he's mentally ill and cant take care of himself, why wasn't he in a facility?

Why is it people always seem to "care so much" after some asshole points out they never did shit beforehand?

Throwing his belongings into the lake is a terrible action.

The problem of homelessness is much more complex than you state. You don't walk up to people and just hand them a job, and jobs don't magically appear because there are people looking for work. Facilities aren't for the housing of mentally ill people. Very few institutions still exist and require a lot to happen for someone to get in. What we have are hospitals who will treat people typically for about a week before returning to the community.

All that said, there is a big degree of neglect for actual help for the homeless and mentally ill. Degree of attention correlates to how much people are being seen in the community. Many are incarcerated. Many are very high utilizers of expensive healthcare. We can get better outcomes by spending money, e.g. on housing first programs. Data suggest drug court, diversion programs, etc. save more money than what is spent on them, although the data are not complete enough.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Frankly the homeless man got lucky. At least he wasn't set on fire.

Talking about humanity going to hell in a handbasket.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You want his stuff?

Saying it should be thrown in a dumpster rather than the lake shows some amount of concern for litter pollution of said lake rather than coveting the stuff being throwing away.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Saying it should be thrown in a dumpster rather than the lake shows some amount of concern for litter pollution of said lake rather than coveting the stuff being throwing away.

Of course, I'm sure the animosity seen by harassing a homeless guy is neutralized by SSG's environmental concerns.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Some people will be homeless regardless due to substance abuse and or mental illness reasons.

Want to reduce homelessness though? Build lots more housing to make it cheaper. Oh wait I forgot, having ‘nice’ neighborhoods is more important than alleviating mass human suffering.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Some people will be homeless regardless due to substance abuse and or mental illness reasons.

Want to reduce homelessness though? Build lots more housing to make it cheaper. Oh wait I forgot, having ‘nice’ neighborhoods is more important than alleviating mass human suffering.

Hoping California's SB 827 comes back soon. CA housing law needs an enema and it's a good start.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hoping California's SB 827 comes back soon. CA housing law needs an enema and it's a good start.

It would be a great start. Not only would it eliminate a bunch of dumb zoning it would place those newly upzoned properties near transit, making that more efficient. Smart policy all around.

If people really cared about the homeless as they say they do they would take this common sense step to ensure there are fewer homeless to begin with.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Not much to say about the homeless in Oakland but the jogger should be charged with Illegal Dumping (up to $1,000 fine) and sentenced to pay for cleanup of that lake as well as testing in case he just dumped some toxic chemicals into the water.
Cuz laws and stuff.

Nov 29, 2006

Here in KC we did this recently. Its a good start, but the idea could easily be expanded nationally on a government level even.

KC builds 13 tiny homes for homeless Vets:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article197241499.html

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nov 29, 2006
I agree! I think government housing will play an important part because no matter how cheap you make houses some people will always be too poor or too ill to take advantage of free market solutions.

I was glad to hear in the news video that they are planning on building a community center to offer them social services, etc. to help them. It's one thing to shelter them, but a lot of homeless need actual help as well. I hope this goes well for this company here.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not much to say about the homeless in Oakland but the jogger should be charged with Illegal Dumping (up to $1,000 fine) and sentenced to pay for cleanup of that lake as well as testing in case he just dumped some toxic chemicals into the water.
Cuz laws and stuff.

Or have him go in the lake and fish it out

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Throwing his belongings into the lake is a terrible action.

The problem of homelessness is much more complex than you state. You don't walk up to people and just hand them a job, and jobs don't magically appear because there are people looking for work. Facilities aren't for the housing of mentally ill people. Very few institutions still exist and require a lot to happen for someone to get in. What we have are hospitals who will treat people typically for about a week before returning to the community.

All that said, there is a big degree of neglect for actual help for the homeless and mentally ill. Degree of attention correlates to how much people are being seen in the community. Many are incarcerated. Many are very high utilizers of expensive healthcare. We can get better outcomes by spending money, e.g. on housing first programs. Data suggest drug court, diversion programs, etc. save more money than what is spent on them, although the data are not complete enough.

Yeah, but vengeance.

I know there was a test where they just gave homeless people housing. Once the person destroyed the house, they just gave him another. It turned out to be cheaper to do than to deal with all the issues of leaving people homeless.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, but vengeance.

I know there was a test where they just gave homeless people housing. Once the person destroyed the house, they just gave him another. It turned out to be cheaper to do than to deal with all the issues of leaving people homeless.

There is a lot of retired containers that can be turned into housing.

8x20 is a decent space for one person.

example. this was a temporary bank branch

1024px-Oldenburg_provisorische_Bankfiliale.jpg

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Mmmm it may be not be politically correct, but that jogger should be stomped in the face. Repeatedly.