NYPD/DOT can go f**k themselves!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs
You don't even need to go to court. You can just pay online.

The city has a new rule where if you come in and plead guilty instead of waiting to see a judge, your fine is cut in half.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Actually it is a valid defense for a lot of cases. Judges will either throw it out or reduce charges for things like this. If it was a big charge/fine then I could also see a jury kicking it as well.

There are a lot of old laws and dumb ones that catch someone else by mistake when it was written, esp. in ticket towns. They get tossed a lot. Some have to go to the SC like th sodmey laws.

I can see him getting out of this. I would appeal it myself and fight but thats me. :)

No. He's got almost no chance of getting out of this ticket. And if that picture is presented as evidence, then I'd say the chances of winning are nil. No judge (i'm pretty sure you don't even see a real judge for a parking ticket) is going to discuss the merits of the law. That's not their job.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Tard
Originally posted by: moshquerade
it doesn't look like you've blocked access to the hydrant, but they have rules with set measurements so just swallow it and pay up.

So you know every law and code for every city and state you have been in? There was no sign and the street was not marked. i would have done the same as every place I have been has either had a sign and/or marked the area to not park.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

:roll:

It's common knowledge not to block a fire hydrant yet I have never seen a sign saying so.
Fwiw, I would have felt the distance he parked was fine, but that doesn't mean there should be no ticket if he infringed on the set by law distance.

So again do you know every law and code for every city and state you have been in?

So I guess having a bumper sticker on your car warrents a ticket? Wearing the wrong color clothing on the wrong day? Not having a note from your husband to go out on certain days by yourself? etc... all of which are laws in some areas. But you are ok with that? :roll:

ugh.

IN every town/state i have been in parking near a fire hydrant is against hte law and will get you a ticket. its really common sense.

i have never seen a place where a bumper sticker, color of clothing, or needing a note is a ticketable offnse. stop makeing up shit that has nothing to do with it. it makes you look like a tard.

You are the tard. here are soem other ones I grabbed real quick...

No fireworks may be thrown by hand during Holy Week.

Town fathers, reflecting the pet peeve of hearing their town's name mispronounced 'Jolly-ETTE' when all local folk know it's pronounced 'Joe-lee-ETTE', made pronouncing it Jolly-ette a misdemeanor, punishable by a $5 fine.

Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.

It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.

and so on.

Heres a link for you Tard
Dumb Laws

those may get thrown out.

A common law (wich parking to close to a firehydrant is EVERYWHERE) saying you did not know is not going to work.

Common sense should tell you someone writing a ticket for a donkey sleeping in a bathtub is something worth fighting.

parking 5 feet from a hydrant is not.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
This is the first time I agree with an ATOT rant. What a dick move, seriously, paint the damn sidewalks. There's no way the average person is going to look at that parking job and think "Damn he blocked the fire hydrant"

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: torpid
there is no way in hell that suv is 15 feet

It actually may be. If you look closely, you can tell that it is more than 10ft. The angle makes it hard to tell though.
I can't remember exactly but going by the slab rule, I was one full slab away from the hydrant, and the SUV was just less than 3 slabs away. He was still almost 3x further than I was so he was in the clear.

That makes sense. Next time, look for some inconspicuous markings or faded paint around 15ft. sometimes there are some not so obvious markings. If you don't see anything, then follow the 3 slab rule and you should be ok.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Cal166
Originally posted by: Regs
You don't even need to go to court. You can just pay online.

The city has a new rule where if you come in and plead guilty instead of waiting to see a judge, your fine is cut in half.

that is what i would do

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
it doesn't look like you've blocked access to the hydrant, but they have rules with set measurements so just swallow it and pay up.

So you know every law and code for every city and state you have been in? There was no sign and the street was not marked. i would have done the same as every place I have been has either had a sign and/or marked the area to not park.

Ignorance is not a valid defense. If you are going to drive in NYC, learn the basic parking regulations. Many hydrants in NYC have no markings.

What about the tourist. Oh that's right, you are in NY, fvck the tourist. :roll:

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: foghorn67
Ignorance is not a valid defense. If you are going to drive in NYC, learn the basic parking regulations. Many hydrants in NYC have no markings.

What about the tourist. Oh that's right, you are in NY, fvck the tourist. :roll:

While NYC loves and thrives on tourism (despite what some residents would have you believe), I don't think the city advocates that tourists drive. I live in Brooklyn and I limit my driving into Manhattan to Sunday only, unless absolutely necessary. It makes your life a whole lot easier.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
I'm 100% with the OP, I can't believe some people are siding with the city. As others have noted, who the hell knows every law of every city? It should have been marked, cased closed. Otherwise I an idea I'm sure these bastards would love - Let all all signs and colorings denoting handicapped spaces be abolished, and each city may set it's own rules (in Denver, the first 3 spaces of each lane within a minimum 40 feet radius of the entrance shall be designated w/o markings as a handicapped space. in Nashville, make that 2 spaces within 60 feet. Furthermore, every store shall be legally allowed to increase this radius at their discretion, provided they post a sign on their door which nobody will read b/c they just came there to do some goddamn shopping.)

Is that the world you wanna live in? Hell no, I hope

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i wouldn't drive in NYC
i passed through a few times, going to/from Penn Station
i took the subway once from one of the airports to Penn Station and walked from the bus terminal to Penn station

i think, that was a while ago

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Agree, paint the damn curb. Do parking officers carry tape measures to make sure a car is within 15 feet before issuing a ticket? Do car owners in NYC carry tape measures to make sure they're at least 15 feet away from a hydrant?

With your pic, I would contest the ticket.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Evander
I'm 100% with the OP, I can't believe some people are siding with the city. As others have noted, who the hell knows every law of every city? It should have been marked, cased closed. Otherwise I an idea I'm sure these bastards would love - Let all all signs and colorings denoting handicapped spaces be abolished, and each city may set it's own rules (in Denver, the first 3 spaces of each lane within a minimum 40 feet radius of the entrance shall be designated w/o markings as a handicapped space. in Nashville, make that 2 spaces within 60 feet. Furthermore, every store shall be legally allowed to increase this radius at their discretion, provided they post a sign on their door which nobody will read b/c they just came there to do some goddamn shopping.)

Is that the world you wanna live in? Hell no, I hope
I don't think anyone is siding with the city. People were only offering advice that could help to avoid this situation in the future. What is technically right and wrong is really of no consequence in this situation. The OP still owes the money.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
The meter maids get more aggressive towards the end of the month to meet their quota.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

While NYC loves and thrives on tourism (despite what some residents would have you believe), I don't think the city advocates that tourists drive. I live in Brooklyn and I limit my driving into Manhattan to Sunday only, unless absolutely necessary. It makes your life a whole lot easier.

Honestly, we drove around Manhattan no problems on the weekends.
Trying to drive around isn't that big of a deal. Trying to find a public restroom is.
I asked the Hilton near time square where the lobby restrooms were, he looked at me as though that is a very strange and foreign idea.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
For everyone siding with the OP...where do you live where it's legal to park 5ft from a fire hydrant?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CadetLee
For everyone siding with the OP...where do you live where it's legal to park 5ft from a fire hydrant?

been wondering that myself heh

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001

Honestly, we drove around Manhattan no problems on the weekends.
Trying to drive around isn't that big of a deal. Trying to find a public restroom is.
I asked the Hilton near time square where the lobby restrooms were, he looked at me as though that is a very strange and foreign idea.

Driving is not too hard though it depends on the time of day as well as the time of year. It's the parking. It can be done but it helps to know the different areas. It's generally much easier to park on Sundays.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Owing money on a technicality is not a crime. This is a BS charge, IMO. If they want to get this specific about it, then they should paint SPECIFIC LINES on the ground for motorists. I park just like the OP did in this picture. I actually think I'm being courteous, too.

Now that I think about it though... If they were to paint those helpful little lines on the ground for us, they'd loose a good chunk of money from the 15 foot (or whatever) rule, and those ignorant of it. Gotta keep the people stupid so you can keep telling them they owe you money, amirite?! What a load of technical crap.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
That a tight squeeze for the car parked behind the VW--He must have 1337 parallel parking skills!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821
Owing money on a technicality is not a crime. This is a BS charge, IMO. If they want to get this specific about it, then they should paint SPECIFIC LINES on the ground for motorists. I park just like the OP did in this picture. I actually think I'm being courteous, too.

Now that I think about it though... If they were to paint those helpful little lines on the ground for us, they'd loose a good chunk of money from the 15 foot (or whatever) rule, and those ignorant of it. Gotta keep the people stupid so you can keep telling them they owe you money, amirite?! What a load of technical crap.

Violation != criminal offense

So yeah, your first sentence is correct. Congratulations.

Originally posted by: Mermaidman
That a tight squeeze for the car parked behind the VW--He must have 1337 parallel parking skills!

Maybe he was there first - at least 15ft away from the hydrant! :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: sdifox
I thought all hydrants are 2 parters now? Knocking over the top bit just disables the hydrant but does not breach the seal? At least up here it's that way.

That may be the case, but the point of the poles is still to prevent someone from driving over the hydrant. Better to have a bent pole than to have to replace a hydrant and to have a hydrant out of commission for some length of time while it's being repaired.

I know the poles are there to protect the hydrant, it was just the water geyser part that intrigues me.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Actually it wasn't as tight as it looks--now that I think about it the angle I took the pic at wasn't really favorable for me to argue my case--if I took a head-on shot of the hydrant, the gap between my car and the hydrant would've looked bigger :(

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
you got off really cheap.

When I was unloading my car into my dorm room at UCF in Orlando, I opened the double doors in back of the building, and backed my car into the building (literally inside), so that I could unload from the trunk to the elevator without walking.

The ticket for this was over $200 because it was a "fire hazard". Not sure if that refers to the condition of the car or its location. This was 15 or 16 years ago, in FL.

I am truly amazed that a ticket for parking near a hydrant in NYC would be less, the prices for everything else car-related here, especially parking-related, are outrageous. My one speeding ticket in NY was $680.....

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
lol, I remember getting a ticket when I was parked at least 13 feet away from a hydrant. Took out a tape measure and actually took a snap shot. NYC meter maids are just out to get your money.