[Nvidia] The Witcher 3: Is your system ready - Nvidia official system requirements

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Intel i7-5960X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Ready GeForce GTX Driver

For the complete lowdown on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt you’ll have to stay tuned to GeForce.com for our Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide. In the meantime, let us know in the comments which NVIDIA technologies you’ll be utilizing to enhance your The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC experience.

http://gfycat.com/SevereSmoggyKomododragon

EDd8wC.png

Game Ready Driver will be launch before the game release.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-your-system-ready

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
Saw the dev PC gameplay stream a few days ago, they had a 980, 1080p maxed settings. It was fine (~40-60 fps) until they turn on Hairworks, fps tanked hard, dev made a funny comment then disabled it and continued playing.

The official recommended specs are a GTX770 for NV and a R290 for AMD. That doesn't bode well for AMD performance in this one, considering Witcher 1 & 2 ran great on all hardware... meh. Also the forum is full of rage about downgrading texture quality for PC version for some insane reason (at the request of console makers??). Hope its rubbish because PRed started out as a PC focused developer, I hope they did not sell-out.

ps. If Kepler performance tanks with GameWorks features, it won't just be another coincidence. This game is hyped to death it better have good performance on all current GPU hardware or devs/AMD/NV dropped the ball big-time.

Last edited:

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
Looks like the gtx 960 and the gtx 970 is not good enough to run GameWorks. That's horrible. I highly doubt the Titan X can run the game at 4k at 60fps with eye candy. It's probably rated at 30fps.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
4K w/ uber settings and Gameworks recommended only 4GB. So much for everyone saying 4GB wouldn't be enough for this game. If this chart is to be believed, anyway.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Wouldn't take the whole thing terribly seriously overall :) Definitely not much objective logic obvious if you think about how much harder some of the entries are to achieve/the cards for them.

As for 4k, well they can hardly put anything else can they?

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Looks like the gtx 960 and the gtx 970 is not good enough to run GameWorks. That's horrible. I highly doubt the Titan X can run the game at 4k at 60fps with eye candy. It's probably rated at 30fps.

Depends on how good it looks on high/uber without games works. If that looks great but there are even higher settings for future cards then that's a good thing - at least it's not a straight console port.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
In my mind I'm shooting for High Settings w/o Gameworks @ 1440p with my Overclocked 780. In real world, thanks the continued optimizations for Kepler, I' should be able to keep up with a GTX 960...

On a serious note, I'm looking forward to this game, as the graphics and game play look amazing.

Last edited:

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
Saw the dev PC gameplay stream a few days ago, they had a 980, 1080p maxed settings. It was fine (~40-60 fps) until they turn on Hairworks, fps tanked hard, dev made a funny comment then disabled it and continued playing.

The official recommended specs are a GTX770 for NV and a R290 for AMD. That doesn't bode well for AMD performance in this one, considering Witcher 1 & 2 ran great on all hardware... meh. Also the forum is full of rage about downgrading texture quality for PC version for some insane reason (at the request of console makers??). Hope its rubbish because PRed started out as a PC focused developer, I hope they did not sell-out.

ps. If Kepler performance tanks with GameWorks features, it won't just be another coincidence. This game is hyped to death it better have good performance on all current GPU hardware or devs/AMD/NV dropped the ball big-time.
HBAO+ runs fine on AMD.

Hairworks on Farcry 4 runs fine compared to nvidia unlike in cod ghosts.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
CPR W3 on Hairworks(Nvidia Game Works)-'the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD'

Looks like AMD have been on the money all along regarding Devs not being able to optimise Game Works for AMD..

YPvGUWK.png

Nope. Hairworks is done using DirectCompute. So you can't use a separate graphics card for the calculations like you can with PhysX.

So it may run on others GPUs, but it can not be optimized by the developer for other GPUs.
This was meant to be NV answer to Tressfx but it cant be optimized by the developer for other GPUs like Tressfx.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35278-Nvida-Hair-Works?p=1658427&viewfull=1#post1658427

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
CPR W3 on Hairworks(Nvidia Game Works)-'the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD

I hope this puts to rest the myth that GameWorks doesn't negatively affect AMD performance. The reality is it does. The only question is how severe?

Hopefully the devs release an ultra texture pack for optional download later, as it seems its true that it won't be included for release (downgraded PC version).

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
I hope this puts to rest the myth that GameWorks doesn't negatively affect AMD performance. The reality is it does. The only question is how severe?

Hopefully the devs release an ultra texture pack for optional download later, as it seems its true that it won't be included for release (downgraded PC version).
In CD Project Red forum Mod said that R9 290 was running absolutely find on High settings on 1080p and he said it was equal with GTX 960 in terms of performance.

Ur rig will run this fine if AMD got CF support for this game.

Feb 19, 2009
In CD Project Red forum Mod said that R9 290 was running absolutely find on High settings on 1080p and he said it was equal with GTX 960.

That means its crippled by about 50% for a R290 to only equal a 960. ;)

I kinda expected it since PRed recommened gtx770 or R290. Those aren't exactly in the same performance category so I was expecting around 30-40% performance deficit in this GameWorks title.

At least its not as bad as Project Cars where a lowly GTX760 is spanking a R290X.

If performance is that bad, I'll wait for Witcher 3 to be on sale a few months later, after the "AMD optimization" patch is released like the rest of NV's sponsored games have shown us. Shame really, was looking forward to this one.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
That means its crippled by about 50% for a R290 to only equal a 960. ;)

I kinda expected it since PRed recommened gtx770 or R290. Those aren't exactly in the same performance category so I was expecting around 30-40% performance deficit in this GameWorks title.

At least its not as bad as Project Cars where a lowly GTX760 is spanking a R290X.

If performance is that bad, I'll wait for Witcher 3 to be on sale a few months later, after the "AMD optimization" patch is released like the rest of NV's sponsored games have shown us. Shame really, was looking forward to this one.

At least ur getting 60 Fps with high setting and u have CF than u should able to play at ultra settings.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
CPR W3 on Hairworks(Nvidia Game Works)-'the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD'

So it may run on others GPUs, but it can not be optimized by the developer for other GPUs.
This was meant to be NV answer to Tressfx but it cant be optimized by the developer for other GPUs like Tressfx.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35278-Nvida-Hair-Works?p=1658427&viewfull=1#post1658427

AMD user can disable it.So they can play "their" optimize versions of the game - the console version.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
AMD user can disable it.So they can play "their" optimize versions of the game - the console version.

You should try and troll and bait in a more intelligent fashion.

HairWorks looks just as stupid and unnatural as TressFX, so I'm finding a hard time caring.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Even nvidia users won't be running Hairworks unless they have dual 980s for 1080p or dual Titan X for 2560x1440. The devs turned it on at times in the recent gameplay reveals, and at 1080p with a single 980 the game was running like total garbage. Forget about it at 4K altogether.

It's a shame how badly this game was hyped for visuals and then massively downgraded as the years went by. It looks no better than Dragon Age Inquisition at this point.

2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

ilo8ZEuf1yn7w.gif

cWf3DID.png

W2475ee.gif

At least the game itself looks to be amazing. But the promised incredible graphics are non-existent.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
In CD Project Red forum Mod said that R9 290 was running absolutely find on High settings on 1080p and he said it was equal with GTX 960 in terms of performance.

Ur rig will run this fine if AMD got CF support for this game.

Are you trying to say this is a good thing? This is laughable. An R290 has *WAY* more horse power than a 960. If they run on par, it shows just how poorly this game is optimized for AMD. Most likely a result of CDPR bending over for nVidia.

This trend is horrible for gamers as a whole. Anybody that supports this kind of thing has no interest in flourishing PC gaming industry.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
The 2013 vs 2015 pictures that are going around make it look like a generational regression in fidelity. Kind of sad if it is true. The 2013 pictures look awesome. Very gritty and nice lighting. The 2015 pictures look way over saturated, more like a heroes of might and magic look with downgraded shadows and lighting.

Maybe the community will put together a graphics pack.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Are you trying to say this is a good thing? This is laughable. An R290 has *WAY* more horse power than a 960. If they run on par, it shows just how poorly this game is optimized for AMD. Most likely a result of CDPR bending over for nVidia.

This trend is horrible for gamers as a whole. Anybody that supports this kind of thing has no interest in flourishing PC gaming industry.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399141

Yes u are right but Business is all about money and have most costumer as possible.

AMD Matt said that maybe their will be no driver support for Witcher 3 at launch.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Yes u are right but Business is all about money and have most costumer as possible.

Business is not the customer's friend. What's good for business might be good for the customer but it might not be. Here it's pretty terrible.

Also, what in the world happened with those graphics?

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Business is not the customer's friend. What's good for business might be good for the customer but it might not be. Here it's pretty terrible.

Also, what in the world happened with those graphics?

People fall into Post process trailer trap and it was in engine demo not a game play

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399141

AMD Matt said that maybe their will be no driver support for Witcher 3 at launch.

The bigger thing that I got from his second post is that IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR AMD TO OPTIMIZE GAME WORKS CODE.

So for all those that say this is not the case, we have it straight from CDPR and AMD that it is not possible. The rest of the game can be, but nothing gameworks related.