NVIDIA settles graphics card False advertising class action

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Runequest2

Jun 14, 2000
In the end my GTX 970 purchase worked out real well.

I got lucky and got $60 plus tax back from Amazon because of the free game promotion that happened right after I bought my card.

Now I guess I am getting $30 more back.

I think $239 effective cost for my GTX 970 was money well spent.

It is still working well for my gaming.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
The GTX 970 was a great value for its day and this extra $30 just sweetens the pot more. Now the payout better come to Canada as well dammit!!
--------
Yes it was a nuisance that it was really functionally a 3.5GB card, but honestly the card wasn't fast enough for 4K anyways and the extra 0.5GB wasn't really an issue at 1440p and below...

Did Nvidia get away with one by marketing it as a 4GB card? I guess so. But the degree of the problem and how it slowed down the card wasn't very severe at all.

brandonmatic

Jul 13, 2013
Yeah, this is a great deal for American 970 owners - a retroactive 10% discount. We should go back and revise all of the price/performance charts!

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
The GTX 970 was a great value for its day and this extra $30 just sweetens the pot more. Now the payout better come to Canada as well dammit!!
--------
Yes it was a nuisance that it was really functionally a 3.5GB card, but honestly the card wasn't fast enough for 4K anyways and the extra 0.5GB wasn't really an issue at 1440p and below...

Did Nvidia get away with one by marketing it as a 4GB card? I guess so. But the degree of the problem and how it slowed down the card wasn't very severe at all.

Thats my thoughts as well. Everyone bought this card based on the performance from reviews and the price. I doubt many would have bought something else if this was marketed as "3.5GB/224bit" card because regardless, the card had extreme value to it (performance/price/efficiency).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thats my thoughts as well. Everyone bought this card based on the performance from reviews and the price. I doubt many would have bought something else if this was marketed as "3.5GB/224bit" card because regardless, the card had extreme value to it (performance/price/efficiency).

Thats true of people that pay attention to benchmarks and such (like those of us here). But I know a few people in real life that were taken aback when i told them the actual specs (after all this broke after the 970 launched). Because sadly a lot of people thing more vram = faster card.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Thats true of people that pay attention to benchmarks and such (like those of us here). But I know a few people in real life that were taken aback when i told them the actual specs (after all this broke after the 970 launched). Because sadly a lot of people thing more vram = faster card.

Which includes most everyone who buys a discrete GPU dont you think?
Why were they taken aback? Did each of them say?
Were they disappointed when this news reduced the performance of the GPU? I know I would be. ;)
Seriously though its so far blown out of proportion its not even in the same galaxy anymore.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
American public bodies didnt have the ability to do it themselves and that is a FACT. Maybe America should invest more money here?

No. You are 100% incorrect. The FTC can bring false advertisement suits.
15 U.S.C. § 45 (a)(1) and (2) said:
(1) Unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, are hereby declared unlawful.
(2) The Commission is hereby empowered and directed to prevent persons, partnerships, or corporations . . . from using unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce.

Or did Luminosity pay $2 million to the FTC just for fun? https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...lion-settle-ftc-deceptive-advertising-charges

Don't correct people on things you don't understand.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Good deal. I'll get $60 for something that was never a problem for me.

Friend of mine got his card through Amazon, got 30% back from them, and still managed to get a step up from EVGA. I don't know what he did, but the step up was free (so he claims) and he basically got a GTX 980 for $200 once he gets his $30 from this lawsuit.

Goes to show what complaining can get you. Haha.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Friend of mine got his card through Amazon, got 30% back from them, and still managed to get a step up from EVGA. I don't know what he did, but the step up was free (so he claims) and he basically got a GTX 980 for $200 once he gets his $30 from this lawsuit.

Goes to show what complaining can get you. Haha.

Do reviews need to be updated now with updated price / performance?

God I wish I could buy a 1070 right now and know I'd get 30% refunded from Amazon, then another $30 off from a class action suit, then just have Nvidia PayPal me money because why not?

Also I think it's odd no one is talking about the amd Class action lawsuit. I'll post the screenshot of my cousin's newegg purchase when I get home and can edit out his name and what not but apparently amd has a lawsuit for their r9 series according to the email he just forward me.

Last edited:

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Also I think it's odd no one is talking about the amd Class action lawsuit. I'll post the screenshot of my cousin's newegg purchase when I get home and can edit out his name and what not but apparently amd has a lawsuit for their r9 series according to the email he just forward me.

Sorry to rain on your AMD hate deflection but Newegg already said that those emails were a mistake and were only for the 970.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I know I'm using the word seriously in a joke/sarcastic comment but

I seriously think we should call this the founders edition rebate.

God I wish I could buy a 1070 right now and know I'd get 30% refunded from Amazon, then another $30 off from a class action suit, then just have Nvidia PayPal me money because why not?

Haha, you are walking a thin line around here. They already pulled one of your posts out of context.

GF got some money from NV over bumpgate. I got some money years ago for ATI's false advertisement of HDCP support (or was it something else?) on their videocards.

Consumers are always gonna get ripped off. Always nice to get even a dollar back from these corporations.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Do reviews need to be updated with an Nvidia admission of guilt?

Of course not, since they settled, and neither is the $30 a rebate of sorts, it's actually a sum of money being payed as a guarantee that reviews stay the same, with no mention of guilt in sight.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
$30 rebate is awesome. especially when this is a non issue for almost all 970 owners.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
$30 rebate is awesome. especially when this is a non issue for almost all 970 owners.
Yeaa. Having the game engine think your gfx have 4 gigs and not the actual 3.5 is an awesome feature. Like kids and matches; always a surprise waiting. Who wouldnt like that sweet combination?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeaa. Having the game engine think your gfx have 4 gigs and not the actual 3.5 is an awesome feature. Like kids and matches; always a surprise waiting. Who wouldnt like that sweet combination?

This is what i fail to understand. Sure the performance didnt change YET. But thats only because Nvidia is doing a game by game fix in the drivers telling the game engine to only use 3.5GB as new games are released. As soon as they stop doing that, which will be any time now as we all know nvidia is only good for driver updates for around 2 years. Then there is going to be performance issues any time a game tries to load up all 4GB.