NVIDIA settles graphics card False advertising class action

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I'm so glad someone called them out on it. Let's see them try that again.

I'm sure it was very profitable for nvidia to do this, and bonus it was settled out of court. I don't see why they wouldn't try again.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
We all know how ridiculous Nvidia has been since the 600 series. If they keep treating customers like this, they will rebel not just in forums, but by lawyering up. I bet there is more low hanging fruit for a team of lawyers to snatch from Nvidia's tree of BS.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Will I get more for buying my G1 for 400 euros? I have the receipt!

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
It was a shocking value at the time of launch (faster than 290x, within 15% of 980), but it is very disappointing how that value has eroded over time. It is no longer faster than a 290x in current benches (even at 1080p), and the gap between it and the 980 (ESPECIALLY in Directx 12) keeps growing. And the 970 still has room to fall- who knows what will happen with drivers aren't running interference for the 3.5GB of ram "feature."

If I had purchased a 970, I'd be upset at nVidia for the lies and the poor future performance. If I owned one, I'd probably not buy nVidia again.

I wonder how many people were like you and switched to a 390x.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If I had purchased a 970, I'd be upset at nVidia for the lies and the poor future performance. If I owned one, I'd probably not buy nVidia again.

Too bad there hasn't been much of a choice for high end buyers. Fury X wasn't attractive at all and who knows when Vega will show up or how powerful it will be. Kind of a sad state of affairs. The lack of competition is no excuse to lie to and trick customers. They tricked us into buying mid range GPU's and made us think they were high end. Someone should sue over that. If I had the time and stomach for it I might consult with someone about it, but I just don't.
Too many people ignore this or pretend that's not what happened. But that's exactly what happened. NVidia literally tricked customers into thinking the 680/670 were high end GPUs.

fingerbob69

Jun 8, 2016
It will cost nV millions and the dent to their reputation, such as it is, will be considerable.... "you trust nVidia? ...lol @ the fanboi" etc

Maverick177

Mar 11, 2016

The majority of goymers won't care, and will continue to support Gimpworks TM.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Too bad there hasn't been much of a choice for high end buyers. Fury X wasn't attractive at all and who knows when Vega will show up or how powerful it will be. Kind of a sad state of affairs. The lack of competition is no excuse to lie to and trick customers. They tricked us into buying mid range GPU's and made us think they were high end. Someone should sue over that. If I had the time and stomach for it I might consult with someone about it, but I just don't.
Too many people ignore this or pretend that's not what happened. But that's exactly what happened. NVidia literally tricked customers into thinking the 680/670 were high end GPUs.

The best way to correct nVidia's behavior (misinformation, pricing, etc.) is for people to simply stop purchasing their hardware until they take a corrective course of action and/or AMD climbs back to at least 50% market share. Could you or I do anything as an individual to affect them, no. Collectively however, if a movement were to ever take hold amongst the vast majority of hardware enthusiasts it absolutely would. People always repeat "To the average Joe, he buys nVidia because he knows nVidia". Horsecrap, the only name that carries any weight to the true average Joe is Intel. nVidia is carried by word of mouth from the informed and semi-informed to his average Joe friend that asks his opinion on buying advice.

Can I state that I won't buy nVidia on the high end absolutely this next time? No, they simply may have the overwhelmingly better choice. You can bet that I'm heavily considering AMD even if they don't have the outright performance crown though. I simply don't like nVidia's practices and never have. To be honest though, the thing I dislike the most right now is their practice (since the GTX 680 era) of trickling out performance over what should be one generation. It used to be if you bought the absolute top end card that is exactly what you received until the next generational change came about. Now if you really want the true top performance available at all times you conceivably may have to buy the midrange, a cut down flagship, a further cut down yet still faster because of clocks flagship, and finally a full fat flagship. It's ridiculous. I don't mind paying Titan prices if it came first (or reasonably soon after) and I knew beyond all doubt "this is our fastest GPU" for this generation. That way I would get to enjoy that top of the line performance the entire gen, this is the way it used to be. I'm not buying a Titan with the suspicion that three months later a GTX Ti is going right by me for less money. I haven't bought an AMD GPU since the GTX 480 came out, I only switched then due to AMD not fixing a Crossfire issue over several driver revisions. At this point I don't even really care, I grabbed an RX 480 the other day and am looking forward to Vega. So long as it doesn't terribly disappoint I'll probably replace my 980TIs with 2-4 of them.

Feb 19, 2009
They have never promised Async Compute for the GTX970. ;)

They promised it for Maxwell. As a whole generation. So every owner of a Maxwell card, down the road, you're gonna get a payout.

They also promised functional preemption for VR on Maxwell and that was a lie too.

False advertisement is bad practice, should never be defended.

Now... how do you claim to get $30? lol

Feb 19, 2009
They have never promised Async Compute for the GTX970. ;)

This is what NV advertised by the way, back then:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-is-game-ready-for-windows-10-and-directx-12

windows-10-launch-directx-12-advanced-api-support-640px.png

It's even funnier because they listed Fermi was DX12 compatible and that never eventuated because it doesn't affect their bottom line.

And their hyping up of Forza 6... well, they stopped doing that once it was released and runs great on AMD.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The best way to correct nVidia's behavior (misinformation, pricing, etc.) is for people to simply stop purchasing their hardware until they take a corrective course of action and/or AMD climbs back to at least 50% market share. Could you or I do anything as an individual to affect them, no. Collectively however, if a movement were to ever take hold amongst the vast majority of hardware enthusiasts it absolutely would. People always repeat "To the average Joe, he buys nVidia because he knows nVidia". Horsecrap, the only name that carries any weight to the true average Joe is Intel. nVidia is carried by word of mouth from the informed and semi-informed to his average Joe friend that asks his opinion on buying advice.

Can I state that I won't buy nVidia on the high end absolutely this next time? No, they simply may have the overwhelmingly better choice. You can bet that I'm heavily considering AMD even if they don't have the outright performance crown though. I simply don't like nVidia's practices and never have. To be honest though, the thing I dislike the most right now is their practice (since the GTX 680 era) of trickling out performance over what should be one generation. It used to be if you bought the absolute top end card that is exactly what you received until the next generational change came about. Now if you really want the true top performance available at all times you conceivably may have to buy the midrange, a cut down flagship, a further cut down yet still faster because of clocks flagship, and finally a full fat flagship. It's ridiculous. I don't mind paying Titan prices if it came first (or reasonably soon after) and I knew beyond all doubt "this is our fastest GPU" for this generation. That way I would get to enjoy that top of the line performance the entire gen, this is the way it used to be. I'm not buying a Titan with the suspicion that three months later a GTX Ti is going right by me for less money. I haven't bought an AMD GPU since the GTX 480 came out, I only switched then due to AMD not fixing a Crossfire issue over several driver revisions. At this point I don't even really care, I grabbed an RX 480 the other day and am looking forward to Vega. So long as it doesn't terribly disappoint I'll probably replace my 980TIs with 2-4 of them.

I recommended a 480 to a friend this last Monday. I will steer as many people away from this POS company as I possibly can, including myself if at all possible. Also, $1,200 gets you a cut down of a cut down GPU. $1,200 for that? My white hairy ass.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
30$? Who cares!! The time involved in making that 30$ happen I could have spent working for a client and making at least 10 times that amount. Unless it is based upon pure principle(that I can understand), then... i dont get it.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Lol. You guys realize that if there is no private right of action, this case never would have been brought in the first place, right?

The FTC has jurisdiction over this exact sort of thing and they brought no action. They could have, and chose not to, whether they thought the case was weak or they didnt have the resources to bring it doesn't really end up mattering.

This case ONLY happened because of the private right of action you all are so quick to dismiss and that's a fact.
American public bodies didnt have the ability to do it themselves and that is a FACT. Maybe America should invest more money here?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
And now we know why all the cards from the 10 series went up $50...
Nvidia's last quarterly sales were 1.2 billion dollars (so 4.8 billion a year roughly). A 1.3 million dollar payout is nothing for them.