Nvidia`s upcoming Tegra 5 playing Battlefield 3.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
NVIDIA was trying to show what graphics are like today with a state-of-the-art thin, fanless tablet vs. what graphics will be like in one year's time with a thin, fanless tablet.

Considering Tegra 4 isn't going to be released until later this year, Tegra 5 is not going to be out in one years time.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If you can`t see the point with the comparison, youre nothing but an Apple fanboy. Have you seen a touchpad playing Battlefield 3 before?
If iPad wasn`t mentioned you be all "Wow that amazing".

They didn`t say. Most likely a much higher resolution than that since the touchpads in 2014 will be 1080p. Graphic settings however, probably low :)
http://androidandme.com/2013/04/news/nvidia-shows-off-battlefield-3-running-on-tegra-5/

Yeah, throw out the term fanboy to try to make the point invalid. The truth is, you're trying to compare the graphics of a 1 year old SOC to the SOC which isn't out for another year, hell, the version BEFORE the one youre talking about isn't even out yet. You are the one coming across as a fanboy with the line "LOL @ the Graphics from iPad " and comparing years of technology different.

Oh gee, a GPU 2 full years newer runs something better. 2 year old version SUCKS. Not a good comparison.

This would have been a much better conversation if you had simply not compared to old tech, and did it in a flamboyant way.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah who ever does things like that?

Like the 7970 preview against a 2 year old tech 580, blah, silly me that's not the right point.

It's not even like they just ran the same game and threw out some bench numbers, they went to another level all together, a whole new generation of games...

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, throw out the term fanboy to try to make the point invalid. The truth is, you're trying to compare the graphics of a 1 year old SOC to the SOC which isn't out for another year, hell, the version BEFORE the one youre talking about isn't even out yet. You are the one coming across as a fanboy with the line "LOL @ the Graphics from iPad " and comparing years of technology different.

Oh gee, a GPU 2 full years newer runs something better. 2 year old version SUCKS. Not a good comparison.

This would have been a much better conversation if you had simply not compared to old tech, and did it in a flamboyant way.

And that is exactly why you are so angry. Way to reveal yourself.

I wasn`t joking either. The graphics on the Tegra 5 does indeed makes the iPad look like 1999.

Last edited:

Granseth

May 6, 2009
How are they going to show a comparison of that nature when the iPad gpu can't render the BF3 engine?

Why show a iOS game of some chairs then?

And they could show us with the BF3 engine how chairs and stuff looks much better tomorrow (with Tegra 5) compared to some iPad game showing chairs and stuff.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

I wasn`t joking either. The graphics on the Tegra 5 does indeed makes the iPad look like 1999.

"Tegra 5" spec random probable PC hardware running BF3 makes some random thing on an iPad that looks like it's from 1999 look like it's from 1999.

I could play System Shock 2 on my HD7950 and then BF3 on my GTX650Ti and say my GTX650Ti makes my HD7950 look like it's from 1999.
What point have I proven?
(OK, I have the GoG.com version so it might look like it was from 2000 or 2001 or something)

Feb 19, 2009
Considering Tegra 4 isn't going to be released until later this year, Tegra 5 is not going to be out in one years time.

This. Dont have your hopes up, TSMC has been delaying and delaying for everyone.

Also, Tegra 3 gets smoked by Apple in graphics, and we dont even know if Tegra 4 will match it.. a full generation ahead.

Lets hope Samsung's next chip will do android graphics justice.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
This. Dont have your hopes up, TSMC has been delaying and delaying for everyone.

Also, Tegra 3 gets smoked by Apple in graphics, and we dont even know if Tegra 4 will match it.. a full generation ahead.

Lets hope Samsung's next chip will do android graphics justice.

Not sure anyone can do much for Android. You can't make a game for one hardware spec on Android really, while with Apple it's somewhat more plausible to do.
Unless you throw money at it, you aren't going to get particularly optimised Android games unless one SoC takes a leading position.

Also, serious question also related to the above.
What's CUDA going to do on a tablet/smartphone SoC...? Seriously.
Only Tegra tablets will support it, nothing else will, and no tablets will really be appropriate for the sort of activities that require the performance CUDA would offer. Obviously they are going CUDA because they are moving to the same architecture as the desktop GPUs, but are they actually going to try and promote it as a feature?

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

No, you're just over the top. I don't care what the iPad can do, to be honest. I'm curious what the Tegra 5 can do, but literally you're saying the same thing as:

"Nvidia Titan beats AMD 4850 LOL".

It really isn't a good comparison.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Sweet! NVidia's CPU which won't come out for at least another year can beat an apple CPU from last year!

Hey smart guy, what are they supposed to compare it to then? A6X has the fastest GPU on a shipping product, so what else are they going to compare it to.

Seriously. Brains, people. We all have them.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
No, you're just over the top. I don't care what the iPad can do, to be honest. I'm curious what the Tegra 5 can do, but literally you're saying the same thing as:

"Nvidia Titan beats AMD 4850 LOL".

It really isn't a good comparison.

Yes you care about iPad. In fact, you love Apple.

Its not a matter of beating anything either, it was a presentation about what to come and what current technology can`t do.

Jesus you guys are slow

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hey smart guy, what are they supposed to compare it to then? A6X has the fastest GPU on a shipping product, so what else are they going to compare it to.

It's not about that, it's about the tone in which he took and continues to take. It's pretty obvious he wanted to make it a pissing contest instead of a valid discussion. When people tried to steer it to a valid discussion, he threw out accusations and was childish, and continue s to do so.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
I said: "LOL at the graphic from iPad"
Nvidia says the graphics from the iPad are Vintage 1999.

Reliant couldn`t deal with the fact so he tries to destroy the thread instead of discussing the future for touch pads. I`m reporting you.

Id love to see the posts where I throw out accusations btw. The only accusation was toward you and that you clearly are upset because I think iPad graphics are pathetic in comparison. Absolutely horrible.

They (especially Reliant) think that Nvidia made the comparison to mock the iPad. It was more of a general comparison against todays graphics and show what to come. I`m very exited to see games like this on a touch pad.

Last edited:

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I said: "LOL at the graphic from iPad"
Nvidia says the graphics from the iPad are Vintage 1999.

Reliant couldn`t deal with the fact so he tries to destroy the thread instead of discussing the future for touch pads. I`m reporting you.

Id love to see the posts where I throw out accusations btw. The only accusation was toward you and that you clearly are upset because I think iPad graphics are pathetic in comparison. Absolutely horrible.

They (especially Reliant) think that Nvidia made the comparison to mock the iPad. It was more of a general comparison against todays graphics and show what to come. I`m very exited to see games like this on a touch pad.

I never once said Nvidia made the comparison to mock it. YOU mocked it. "Lol @ iPad" and "1999 graphics" were you. I can assure you Nvidia is a bit more professional than that.

The accusations you made were assuming me of being a fanboy and throwing insults the second I had any sort of different opinion, or simply wanted to talk about Tegra 5 without bashing other companies.

I'd LOVE to talk about Tegra 5 and the direction of mobile graphics, but you are honestly trying too hard to say another company sucks instead of "look what we can do in 2 years!". Honestly, who knows if Tegra 5 will even be that awesome in a few years when it is out. Talk about the merits of the product, and don't bash other companies and this discussion can go further.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
All this stuff is progressing so fast it's kind of meaningless. I mean, what else would you possibly do with that much muscle than play games? The market for such increases in performance has to be rather small. Normal people will probably get a tablet and stick with it for many years.

Then you are being short sighted. The more powreful tablets become, they can eventually replace low power PCs (which they already are doing). In the medical field surgeons can use the ipad to hone their skills: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddes.../feb/27/touch-surgery-ipad-app-surgeons-learn Now with a more powreful GPU, it would be even more realistic and thus beneficial.

It could also use wireless (or wired) connection to your TV + a BT controller and serve as an htpc + console anytime you want it to. So you end up with a device that is good for media consumption, work, reading, gaming and productivity if you pair it with a dock. Or with nvidia's new streaming technology, you can beam desktop games directly to a tegra powered tablet for pc gaming. Looks like 2014 will be very interesting.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
I never once said Nvidia made the comparison to mock it. YOU mocked it. "Lol @ iPad" and "1999 graphics" were you. I can assure you Nvidia is a bit more professional than that.

The accusations you made were assuming me of being a fanboy and throwing insults the second I had any sort of different opinion, or simply wanted to talk about Tegra 5 without bashing other companies.

I'd LOVE to talk about Tegra 5 and the direction of mobile graphics, but you are honestly trying too hard to say another company sucks instead of "look what we can do in 2 years!". Honestly, who knows if Tegra 5 will even be that awesome in a few years when it is out. Talk about the merits of the product, and don't bash other companies and this discussion can go further.

Here you go. The totally unprofessional Nvidia...
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-demonstr...ttlefield-3-calls-ipad-graphics-vintage-1999/

Now go write an angry email or call Nvidia while your at it.

And YOU don`t decide wether or not we mention other companies in GPU discussion. In fact its impossible to do that. But we always have people like you who derail a discussion whenever you feel like your company of choice is spoken of in a negative way. Get a grip of yourself.

Last edited:

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

It's hyperbole, and we all know that. Mobile graphics weren't around in 1999. You're taking it too literally, seriously, and you have some sort of vendetta for this.

We get it, you like Nvidia. This product isn't out yet.

The demo they showcased didn't look that fantastic, and who knows what new engines, new products, etc will be in 2 years. Intel is pushing hard for their mobile presence which is going to get market share, PowerVR still is used in a huge % of the market. Who is to say that in 2 years Tegra 5 is slower than PowerVR, Intel HD, etc. And they could easily have heat issues, etc. I can also tell you this demo was at low res, the aliasing is all over. Surface, iPad, Nexus all run higher res than displayed in this demo. This is neat that they got Frostbyte to work on Tegra 5, but by the point this is out Frostbyte will be what, 4 years old?

Calm down and don't let this be a vendetta. Technology is fun, pick the product best for you and don't evangelize for a company, and don't belittle others for having a differing opinion.

Apr 21, 2012

Well thank you, I like to think i am pretty smart. Seriously person, I am using my brain. NVidia's video came across as pretty cheesy, I don't know why they didnt use the Tegra 3 or 4 for comparison. In fact, I would have thrown the 3, 4, and 5 all in if I wanted to make a point about where graphics are going to be in a couple years.

Maybe you're right, it is just NVidia trying to pull out the best graphics platform out right now on a tablet, but if they can show a demo video of a Tegra 5 then I'm pretty sure they could have done one for a Tegra 4 and 3 as well.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
I wonder how much better the Rogue GPU from PowerVR is going to be versus this kepler

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010

I highly doubt a tablet chip, even 2 generations from now (tegra4->5) will be able to beat a PS4's performance.

Why?

Did you see the Battlefield 3, they "emulated" on "supposed/expected" specs/performance for a Tegra5 ?

It was running a really low resolution like 640x480 or something, with lots of details off ect.

I know a PC with a 7850 can do better than that.
PS4 is supposed to be faster than a 7850.

Tegra 5 > PS4 my arse, thats a huge exaggeration.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I wonder how much better the Rogue GPU from PowerVR is going to be versus this kepler

That would be interesting, but hard for a good 1:1. Since PowerVR doesn't make CPU components, and processing power is still at a premium in the mobile space, especially for big games. Tegra package does have versions, but doesn't have the scalability of PowerVR.

Tegra 4/5 may be faster than a single (pretty sure they will be) PowerVR chip, but the PowerVR chips are meant to run parallel and give a good performance bump when adding more cores, which companies can do for their SOC.