Nvidia ,Rtx2080ti,2080,(2070 review is now live!) information thread. Reviews and prices

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
They did say that the fight scene in the demo changed every time it ran, and image quality was just as good. So the training network would not benefit from this.

Still much easier to train a network for demo which is still 90% fixed with one small section with some variability, than for a game where a player can run where he wants to.

DLSS will likely also present problems for people that like to use visual mods. Add a new texture pack and you likely will have issues with your DLSS network trained on the vanilla game.

SirDinadan

Jul 11, 2016
boostclock.com
I don't really understand the hate towards DLSS. It's clearly not ideal, but even SSAA introduces "softened" image artifacts.
IMHO the main issue is that the simpler DLSS version renders a lower resolution image and upscales it hence the huge uplift in performance. It's a great sw tech + dedicated hw to make it fast but makes performance comparisons pointless because of the difference in render resolutions. I get it that you get the same IQ with more frame rate but it is not an apples to apples comparison.
In the long run it has the potential to become a killer feature granted it is indistinguishable from TAA in very action packed and not that deterministic games (time-of-day, weather effects, huge shading differences in different gaming scenarios, etc)

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Throwing aside the marketing what I view DLSS as is that it manages to offer an intermediate resolution step for monitor resolution upgrades as workaround for the inherent scaling issues with LCD displays.

So what would be an interesting comparison is for example the image quality of a 27 inch 1920x1080 display vs 27 inch 2560x1440p display vs a 27 inch 3840x2160 display using DLSS upscaling as well as the performance for them. As your current (or previous) options are either to stick with a lower resolution or sacrifice image quality settings or deal with worse scaling issues.

So it acts as an option for people to move onto a 4k display (or higher in the future) without having to worry about the issue of being able to run games at that native resolution which often will require quite a high leap in GPU requirements.

ZeroRift

Apr 13, 2005
It's a great sw tech + dedicated hw to make it fast but makes performance comparisons pointless because of the difference in render resolutions. I get it that you get the same IQ with more frame rate but it is not an apples to apples comparison.

In computer science, there is almost always a trade off between performance and quality. It is perfectly valid to compare different implementations so long as you take both of these factors into account.

SSAA, for instance, is widely regarded as the best quality for still scenes, but also incurs the highest performance penalty. This makes it an undesirable solution in many cases.

On the opposite side of the spectrum you have techniques like FXAA, which are the cheapest in terms of performance but also generally produce the lowest quality results.

DLSS is no different from other AA techniques in that it introduces noise to the image. The fact that this noise comes from sampling the image at a lower resolution is immaterial when comparing results. What matters is whether the trade off between quality and performance makes sense in a given context.

Until it becomes widely available, it will be tough to say exactly where DLSS lands in the context of other AA options.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think I may want to go with the gsync option but don't need 200hz or HDR. 100 or 120 with gsync will do. Which one did you get?

I was looking at the Alienware 34 inch model. Don't want anything too big on my desk. I do feel like this will look nice with the extra performance form the 2080ti.

I have the Asus PG348Q. If you wish to wait for the boring aspect ratio HDR monitors (16:9) there are some really good 32" 4K versions coming with over 1000 zones and miniLED backlights. They will absolutely BLOW AWAY the current overpriced 384 zone 27" HDR monitors like the PG27UQ and Acer X27. Google around for the new AUO mini led HDR panels. $2000 for 27" is hilarious. At least get an ultra wide HDR later this year for that money, lol.

Reactions: Cableman

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Digital foundaries do a good discussion on this:
https://youtu.be/MMbgvXde-YA

Basically DLSS upsampling mode gives image quality compatible or better then the non upsampled image with 4xTAA in the current examples. They also said the 2080 with DLSS on outperforms a 2080Ti with it off (i.e. 2080 4k with DLSS is faster then a 2080Ti 4k with TAA).

Yes you can write per-game upscaling. What we have here is essentially an upscaler written by a deep learning super computer and it turns out it's pretty good at it. As to why that is possible, well it's because it's upscaling programs essentially contain information about what the image should look like when upscaled which they use to upscale well. The more information you can squeeze into that program the better the result you will get. The super computer has done an amazing job of compressing a lot of info about how 4k images are meant to look in a game into a program several mb's in size. Hence run that on the appropriate hardware (some tensor cores) and you get amazing upscaling.
Any idea as to the required amount of data needed for this to work? I assume it will have to be added to the drivers over time or will it be added to game files? How many titles will have this? Not a pressing issue, just curious.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The colors could be better than on my Dell s2716dg that I have now. Better resolution is also what I'm going for so this will make things nicer.

I play a lot of the triple A titles, most of the time.

My ideal monitor for my desk would be 32 4k but since none of them exist with gsync over 60hz, that's why I thought about ultra wide.

Monitor is something I don't want to upgrade every year or every other year so it's tricky. That's something I feel could be bought once and then you stick with it.

I have Best buy and microcenter near me. Obviously I feel like 2080ti at 1440p may be overkill which is why I'm looking for a better use case.

That was the best buy dell deal on your current monitor? I had that one and sold it last year with my gaming rig. No more PC gaming for me, although my laptop does have 7700hq and 6gb gtx 1060 in it.

I'd look more towards widescreen probably if I was getting back into it. Not a graphic whore so 4k isn't worth price of admission.

You really should careful on who's advice you take around here. Make sure you research before you buy.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Any idea as to the required amount of data needed for this to work? I assume it will have to be added to the drivers over time or will it be added to game files? How many titles will have this? Not a pressing issue, just curious.
28 titles so far, the video said.
It's in the current Nvidia driver and developers will implement it.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
Some cool demos.
Variable rate shading in wolf 2.

GPU driven rendering using mesh/task shaders

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007

It seems linux reality distortion bubble members are genetically incapable of understanding the concept of context.

don't try to talk logic to a religion folks, they'll just hound you for the rest of your days.

Personal insults are not allowed in the technical forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That was the best buy dell deal on your current monitor? I had that one and sold it last year with my gaming rig. No more PC gaming for me, although my laptop does have 7700hq and 6gb gtx 1060 in it.

I'd look more towards widescreen probably if I was getting back into it. Not a graphic whore so 4k isn't worth price of admission.

You really should careful on who's advice you take around here. Make sure you research before you buy.

Yup I got it at Best buy a year or two ago. Played around with settings and used custom colors to make it look better. Great monitor so far. It sucks the monitor tech hasn't caught up yet. You are right, I would be getting a better experience with ultra wide, only issue is how weird and how much space it would take up on my desk. I have some flight peripherals that also sit on my desk all the time.

I have the Asus PG348Q. If you wish to wait for the boring aspect ratio HDR monitors (16:9) there are some really good 32" 4K versions coming with over 1000 zones and miniLED backlights. They will absolutely BLOW AWAY the current overpriced 384 zone 27" HDR monitors like the PG27UQ and Acer X27. Google around for the new AUO mini led HDR panels. $2000 for 27" is hilarious. At least get an ultra wide HDR later this year for that money, lol.

Yup the one you have and the other 2, Alienware and an Acer are all at microcenter near me. They are all the same price except the Asus rog one which is $899 right now. So it's either pick one of these for $899 or $999 or spend 2k later this year on the newer ones.

Either way I'm thinking of keeping the 2080ti..still have until mid October to decide. If I can't decide on a monitor I may just cancel the order and stay with what I have now until 7nm. No matter which way I look at it, if I don't get the 2080ti and I get one of those new ultrawide $2k monitors, I feel like the 1080ti may struggle by that time. It's always a waiting game with PC tech it seems now a days.

At one point I'm looking forward to the exit where I no longer want to spend money on this stuff. That day can't come soon enough lol.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am going to echo what Gideon asked, has anybody seen any CPU scaling numbers on the RTX series ?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
My microcenter has 3 of them. I'd want to look at them in person. It would be nice if it was a 32 inch version. I feel like if I buy this one I wouldn't want to touch another monitor but ultrawide also seems very nice.

Maybe they’ll open one up for you? You could call and ask if they have one out. I know I would make that trip.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Here is the story that goes with the Video:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dlss-turing-tech-analysis

It has a couple of nice comparisons tools, that seem better scene matched that some screen shots.

After looking at MANY of these comparisons, it is clear that the is some give and take between DLSS and TAA in terms of image quality. When pouring over still images you can find some areas where each look better than the other. But overall, in motion at 4K it would be very difficult to see any difference.

One of the guys in video mentions doing comparison standing very close to a 65" 4K TV, and essentially finding it impossible to see a difference in motion. Standing close to a 65" 4K TV, is harsher test than playing on a 4K desk monitor.

The one misgiving I have so far, is this is this just canned demos, where you get some obvious benefits for training a network.

As long as there is no temporal aliasing I guess it would be hard to tell. But I spot aliasing a lot in movement. Today’s games though look very clean in general.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Maybe they’ll open one up for you? You could call and ask if they have one out. I know I would make that trip.
I'm sure they have them on display but $2k for 27 inch 4k seems like a lot of money. I'd rather go with the Alienware ultrawide 34 model because they also will price match amazon where it's $979 there. Only downside to 34 inch is the stupid base legs that will eat up desk space. But I'll definitely go check them out this weekend.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

Same monitor I'm running on my main rig.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Same monitor I'm running on my main rig.
I'm contemplating the Alienware 34 ultrawide but truth is any of these monitors will take up 11-13 inches of my 24 inch desk. Since I also use it for flight in VR I keep the keyboard pushed up so I can use the mouse and have room for the rest of my gear.

Looked at monitor arms but this desk is like 6 inches thick in the back with metal. What a PITA, too bad there are no ultrawide with low profile stands like my Dell. Maybe this is a sign I should just forget it and stick with what I got.

ec3e48d9202d4ba9e011003fd6941677.jpg

May 13, 2009
I'm contemplating the Alienware 34 ultrawide but truth is any of these monitors will take up 11-13 inches of my 24 inch desk. Since I also use it for flight in VR I keep the keyboard pushed up so I can use the mouse and have room for the rest of my gear.

Looked at monitor arms but this desk is like 6 inches thick in the back with metal. What a PITA, too bad there are no ultrawide with low profile stands like my Dell. Maybe this is a sign I should just forget it and stick with what I got.

ec3e48d9202d4ba9e011003fd6941677.jpg
Upgrade desk. I did for my ultra wide.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Upgrade desk. I did for my ultra wide.
Yea I know, thing is I moved recently and just got this desk. I'll probably have to figure something out and just deal with less space or move the flight stuff out the way. I could definitely make it work, will just have to see the monitors in person.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
No way MS/Sony would break backwards compatibility and switch to an entirely different architecture. By staying x86/AMD GPU every current game will run on the next gen hardware. And MS especially won't because so many games are sold for XBox and Windows 10 side by side. They need to stay on the same architecture to keep R&D costs down.

Thats why i was referring to x86/AMD as conservative approach.
On the other hand there are few things to consider:
1) Backwards compatibility is a non issue, since with emulation technology you easily achieve current gen CPU performance. In fact i consider the lack of performance of current gen CPUs a good opportunity for a move to ARM with emulation for backwards compatibility.
2) Games are sold side-by-side but they are still completely different builds. A different CPU architecture would not get much in the way.
3) Not sure what R&D costs you are referring to.

Reactions: Muhammed

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I upgraded my desk for my ultrawide also. Way worth it.

Here's what I got: https://www.amazon.com/Bush-Business-Furniture-Slate-Spectrum/dp/B000W8JO0W

And here's what it looks like compared to my screen. The desk was about $250 and its pretty solid. I would have a better pic but this is an old one I took to show off that wall sign, but you can see the desk with monitor on it. That's a 34" ultrawide. Crap, sorry for huge pic.

rnezJ0X.jpg

Reactions: krumme