Nvidia ,Rtx2080ti,2080,2070, information thread. Reviews and prices September 14.

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It's going to get interesting as we wait for reviews. I think a lot can be discerned with just a few more decent leaks though. People saying, "The card clears 100fps at 4K on gaemz, ez" That doesn't tell us crap. We all get 400fps in counterstrike at 4k and no one cares. We needs details.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
If they compare it to classic super sampling it will.

If it looks as good as classic SS, that is nearly worth it alone.

I hate the modern post process AA methods that blur everything. If they can create a new AA method that is low overhead, easy for devs to implement and looks as good as classic AA, that is gold IMO.

Reactions: crisium and n0x1ous

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry if repost - - Vague, but interesting.

Performance:

Although we haven’t had the chance to benchmark the card thoroughly, we did get to play multiple PC games at 4K and in excess of 60 frames per second (fps) with the RTX 2080 Ti at Nvidia’s GeForce Gaming Celebration event at Gamescom 2018.

Unfortunately, due to multiple non-disclosure agreements we signed, we can only tell you that Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks stunning with ray tracing turned on. Thanks to Nvidia’s RTX technology, shadows do indeed look more realistic – with different intensities everywhere depicted in a stony ruin in the rainforest. We also just gawked at the walls, looking them shimmer as light reflected and refracted off of them.

In terms of frame rate, Shadow of the Tomb Raider ran at a mostly consistent 50-57 fps, which is impressive giving the game is running on a single GPU and in such an early state – on top of all the new ray tracing techniques.

We also played a variety of other PC games that shall not be named, and saw performance run in excess of 100 fps at 4K and Ultra settings. Unfortunately, we also don’t know how much power these GPUs had to draw to reach this level of performance.

We’ll also note that the gaming PCs at Nvidia’s event were arranged in the worst way possible, with almost all the machines exhausting heat directly toward the next one behind it. So, we’ll likely see even better performance once we get a card into our isolated test bench.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

Guru

May 5, 2017
Had they showed comparison benchmarks with rtx on and off and with the little brother 1080ti I probably would have pre ordered one if the performance is as great as they were talking about. They made it sound like "the 2070 is better the titan xp" and by that statement they expected people to simply believe that the 2080ti is faster by a whole lot. But they were referring to ray trace.

The whole presentation felt like a software presentation.
Even if RTX is significantly better than the GTX when ray tracing is on, how many games have ray tracing? ZERO! We are going to get 4 announced games with ray tracing in 2019. Heck we can't even get proper DX12 games, its either dual dx11/dx12 titles that have crap dx12 implementation or just purely DX11 games! There is barely any purely DX12 game.

So I don't have big hopes for ray tracing games

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Maybe now we'll get a bigger drive for games on DX12 with Turing seemingly having better asynchronous compute/shader support. There wasn't much incentive for developers beforehand.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Maybe now we'll get a bigger drive for games on DX12 with Turing seemingly having better asynchronous compute/shader support. There wasn't much incentive for developers beforehand.

I wonder if it's actually better async or if its just what was carried over from Volta.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I got an answer from the author.

This:
“We also played a variety of other PC games that shall not be named, and saw performance run in excess of 100 fps at 4K and Ultra settings. Unfortunately, we also don’t know how much power these GPUs had to draw to reach this level of performance.”

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

Was with a single GPU.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I got an answer from the author.

This:

Was with a single GPU.
Well good to hear, 1 card 4k and ultra settings delivers up to 100fps. Still want to see it on the benches/reviews but if this is true I'm definitely going to pick one up and then look at 4k monitors. I wouldn't want 4k if it was going to be the same performance as you can get now with the 1080ti.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Makes you wanna live life to its fullest and pre-order 2080 Ti?
I'd wait for actual results. It's not like you can get it tomorrow to try for yourself anyway. By the time I get one if I do, it will probably be around December. Figure all the AIB models will be sold out if what that guy's article says is true.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Well good to hear, 1 card 4k and ultra settings delivers up to 100fps. Still want to see it on the benches/reviews but if this is true I'm definitely going to pick one up and then look at 4k monitors. I wouldn't want 4k if it was going to be the same performance as you can get now with the 1080ti.

You won't be able to ray trace anything at that resolution at decent fps though, so what's the point mate?

Tech radar; I'm highly skeptical about sites that offer up results (whispered into their ears no doubt ) but not the conditions under which they were achieved.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You won't be able to ray trace anything at that resolution at decent fps though, so what's the point mate?
I think Ray Tracing will also be very fast, actually.

The point is the card appears to be way faster than the 1080ti in existing games, which is the question most people were asking.
You don't have to use Ray Tracing, so why even worry about it?

Reactions: PeterScott

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

Tech radar; I'm highly skeptical about sites that offer up results (whispered into their ears no doubt ) but not the conditions under which they were achieved.
This is true, what I plan on doing is if it really is better than a 1080ti, get the card first and try it out on the new tomb raider, bf 5, etc and my existing games at 1440p.

Most games aren't going to have Ray tracing so that won't matter. If I find a deal on a 4k monitor I may end up getting one later down the line. I like my current gsync monitor.

But I do agree it sounds foolish to spend so much money on a card where the main tech it's being marked up for, won't be able to be used to it's full potential at the resolution those games should be played at by now.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm no game dev, but I've done some renderings and you have to apply proper material characteristics to every surface for the light to properly interact with. That could be a pain in the ass. I don't expect widespread adoption anytime soon. I am happy for the tech progress though. I can see in a few years games being nicely illuminated and having decently priced HDR monitors available. That would be a nice combo, and you can have it now for about $5000. I can wait, lol.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Widespread adoption won't happen quickly. Then you will have titles where it will be implemented but maybe not done correctly so performance will suffer. People will complain I'm sure of it. I don't think it's as easy as he said oh you just have to turn it on.

What they should have done is release these rtx cards at the same time as the new consoles arrive. Get a deal with Sony and Microsoft to put your chip in there and boom now everyone would have to develop with rtx in mind. Much more widespread adoption that way because most games are almost always made for consoles in mind first.

I guess if I end up with one of these cards I can't complain about buying the ps5 or Xbox 2X or whatever as it makes consoles seem like pocket change.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I think Ray Tracing will also be very fast, actually.

The point is the card appears to be way faster than the 1080ti in existing games, which is the question most people were asking.
You don't have to use Ray Tracing, so why even worry about it?

I have highlighted what sounds like a key word to me. From my perspective we don't have such solid, proven information yet. It may very well be correct - and I hope so - but in the meanwhile I remain skeptical; they didn't do comparisons in the keynote for a reason, whatever it may be.

This is true, what I plan on doing is if it really is better than a 1080ti, get the card first and try it out on the new tomb raider, bf 5, etc and my existing games at 1440p.

Most games aren't going to have Ray tracing so that won't matter. If I find a deal on a 4k monitor I may end up getting one later down the line. I like my current gsync monitor.

But I do agree it sounds foolish to spend so much money on a card where the main tech it's being marked up for, won't be able to be used to it's full potential at the resolution those games should be played at by now.

I can fully get behind that logic. You're not rushing and am considering different perspectives which is the right way to do in my book.

Tomb Raider devs said the demo had a poor, incomplete version and they're going to address it with a patch. They have 4 weeks until release to properly implement new technology, I'm not holding my breath.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Even if RTX is significantly better than the GTX when ray tracing is on, how many games have ray tracing? ZERO! We are going to get 4 announced games with ray tracing in 2019. Heck we can't even get proper DX12 games, its either dual dx11/dx12 titles that have crap dx12 implementation or just purely DX11 games! There is barely any purely DX12 game.

If RTX 2080Ti is significantly better with RT on, AND significantly better with RT off, then what is there to complain about? This sounds like nothing more that a large bag of sour grapes.

The reality is that 2080Ti will be a beast of a gaming GPU, regardless of which mode it is in.

2070/2080? Those are more of question mark, that you will have to wait for reviews to answer.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I'm no game dev, but I've done some renderings and you have to apply proper material characteristics to every surface for the light to properly interact with. That could be a pain in the ass. I don't expect widespread adoption anytime soon. I am happy for the tech progress though. I can see in a few years games being nicely illuminated and having decently priced HDR monitors available. That would be a nice combo, and you can have it now for about $5000. I can wait, lol.

If you are using a PBR all that will already be setup in the materials, otherwise things will already look off.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have highlighted what sounds like a key word to me. From my perspective we don't have such solid, proven information yet. It may very well be correct - and I hope so - but in the meanwhile I remain skeptical; they didn't do comparisons in the keynote for a reason, whatever it may be.

I can fully get behind that logic. You're not rushing and am considering different perspectives which is the right way to do in my book.

Tomb Raider devs said the demo had a poor, incomplete version and they're going to address it with a patch. They have 4 weeks until release to properly implement new technology, I'm not holding my breath.
I didn't go to 1440p until I was able to get a card that could do over 60 fps and up to 100 on that resolution..that happened with the 1080ti. Really glad I ended up with that. Big difference compared to 1080p.

Eventually I'll go up to 4k but it's not a rush. But if this new Ti can certainly push most games up to and above 100 fps at that resolution I guess it can't be a complaint not to go up in resolution for enjoyment.

PC gaming is like taking hard drugs, once you get in, you will always be chasing the next high and that can become a problem because at one point you end up spending money on things that you could be doing otherwise like traveling or trying out a new hobby. But I digress, any hobby you get into costs money over time.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
If RTX 2080Ti is significantly better with RT on, AND significantly better with RT off, then what is there to complain about? This sounds like nothing more that a large bag of sour grapes.

The reality is that 2080Ti will be a beast of a gaming GPU, regardless of which mode it is in.

First if, then the conviction that it is. Not to be picky, just an observation :)

The thing is we just don't know. And even if it's good, it cannot be so much better to warrant the approximate 40% price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.