nVidia restricts 3080 12GB reviews

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Basically nVidia don't want reviews until people buy the cards, after the fact.

I'm not surprised to be honest. The cards are basically going straight to crypto, and My-Nahs don't care about reviews.

Just as well they weren't allowed to buy Arm.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Do any sane people actually buy graphics cards at these insanely inflated prices?

Desperation is never pretty.

I confess to buying a 6600XT at launch for a little above MSRP. Turned out to be a good idea. Now, you can't even get a regular 6600 for the same money. I can even sell that 6600XT with a decent profit margin. Crazy times.

With the way things are going, my next purchase might even be a humble Nvidia T400 for my other HTPC. It's cheaper then a bleeding GT1030. That's just insane. Had hoped for a 6500XT or RTX3050, but I refuse to pay the prices asked.

Reactions: lightmanek

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
If I were going to pay $1k for a dGPU, it wouldn't be for that thing. But otherwise, yes, especially if they've made a lot of money lately in the cryptocurrency market.
Made a lot of money lately in the cryptocurrency market and sane person is not compatible. :p

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Made a lot of money lately in the cryptocurrency market and sane person is not compatible. :p

The only crazy ones are trying to make it rich mining, which doesn't really work anymore. You'd think the miners would have figured it out by now. Nope! Gotta keep paying $1k (or more) for 12GB 3080s.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If I were going to pay $1k for a dGPU, it wouldn't be for that thing. But otherwise, yes, especially if they've made a lot of money lately in the cryptocurrency market.
The 3060ti in my wife's box and my 3070 in my box have paid for themselves over the past year. I'm happy. However, with ETH finally set on going PoS mid summer I wouldn't be buying any card right now. If all things align, i.e. if ETH does go PoS mid summer, if Intel does come out with their dedicated card, and if nVidia/AMD come out with 40xx/7xxx series by the end of the year, the resulting collapse in prices is going to be legendary - it has potential to be as epic as picking up 290's/Fury's for half off MSRP 5 years ago. Personally I'm looking forward to ditching my 3070 in favor of AMD if only for deplorable nVidia tactics.

Desperation is never pretty.

I confess to buying a 6600XT at launch for a little above MSRP. Turned out to be a good idea. Now, you can't even get a regular 6600 for the same money. I can even sell that 6600XT with a decent profit margin. Crazy times.

With the way things are going, my next purchase might even be a humble Nvidia T400 for my other HTPC. It's cheaper then a bleeding GT1030. That's just insane. Had hoped for a 6500XT or RTX3050, but I refuse to pay the prices asked.
Hah! Funnily enough I just picked up T400 for $128 shipped from dell technologies. I needed a single slot low power card for my PLEX server however used P400 (and other P Quadros) prices were pretty ridiculous considering they're 5 years old at this point. I just decided to pay a bit extra and just get a brand new T400. I wouldn't be using it to game, but to my surprise it can actually game, I never would have thought it's be able to run RDRII at 1080p.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I wouldn't be using it to game, but to my surprise it can actually game, I never would have thought it's be able to run RDRII at 1080p.

That really is impressive for a 30W card. But hadn't really thought about that, was more after the media engine. And the "low" asking price. From the specs it should be somewhere around 1030 performance, just with a newer architecture and more bandwidth due to GDDR6.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
They basically don't want people to know that this much more expensive version of the 3080 doesn't actually perform any better.
Estimates are ~+5% from what I've read. OFC, some games are RAM limited in 4K games in high quality video modes, so I suppose it will be worth it for those folks. Well, if they are single, or married making six figures ;). One of my nephews is single, making around $70K and had no problem dropping $1700 on a RTX 3080 Ti (which was actually a good price at the time).

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Do any sane people actually buy graphics cards at these insanely inflated prices?

- *Knocks on Wood* I've asked myself what exactly I would do if my 980Ti in my core system craps out one of these days. I'd like to think I'd just downgrade to gaming on my 1050 Laptop but that outright locks out playing some of the newer games I have, and I'm reasonably invested in gaming with a decent sized Steam Library so walking away entirely from the hobby doesn't seem like a realistic proposition.

Maybe I'd cave. I've already increased my budget from $200 to $300 when I bought my 980ti. Would I start looking at $450/$500 cards now since they would still offer a performance boost? If I'm already going to go blowing past my old budget, and I have the money to spend, why not just splurge and go all in on a $800/$1000/$1200 GPU and just tap out of the rat race for the next 6 years and stop worrying about it?

I really don't know what I'd do if I'm perfectly honest.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
- *Knocks on Wood* I've asked myself what exactly I would do if my 980Ti in my core system craps out one of these days. I'd like to think I'd just downgrade to gaming on my 1050 Laptop but that outright locks out playing some of the newer games I have, and I'm reasonably invested in gaming with a decent sized Steam Library so walking away entirely from the hobby doesn't seem like a realistic proposition.

Maybe I'd cave. I've already increased my budget from $200 to $300 when I bought my 980ti. Would I start looking at $450/$500 cards now since they would still offer a performance boost? If I'm already going to go blowing past my old budget, and I have the money to spend, why not just splurge and go all in on a $800/$1000/$1200 GPU and just tap out of the rat race for the next 6 years and stop worrying about it?

I really don't know what I'd do if I'm perfectly honest.
Obviously if your card dies you need to buy a replacement. I bought my 1070, because the 7990 before it died. But I really don't want my video card to die on me atm. I only game 2-4 h/week, but I nedd those hours :p

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They basically don't want people to know that this much more expensive version of the 3080 doesn't actually perform any better.

This does answer my previous question about why NVidia didn't announce this at all during their presentation at CES.

Compared to a 3080 this won't perform significantly better. Unless you're mining ETH. Then you're going to get a nice bump from the added memory bandwidth.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Obviously if your card dies you need to buy a replacement. I bought my 1070, because the 7990 before it died. But I really don't want my video card to die on me atm. I only game 2-4 h/week, but I nedd those hours :p

- I hear ya loud and clear on "need those hours". There is no way therapy would be cheaper than the hours I'm putting into gaming right now to bleed off work stress, life stress, home stress, etc.

So maybe your "no one sane" comment still holds true...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This does answer my previous question about why NVidia didn't announce this at all during their presentation at CES.

Compared to a 3080 this won't perform significantly better. Unless you're mining ETH. Then you're going to get a nice bump from the added memory bandwidth.
I did a bit of research on currently listed 3080 12GB models, and the ones I found were listed as LHR, so maybe not. I suspect a FHR 3080 would do largely better, but who knows how much "lighter" the hashrate is on these, compared to if they had no limiter. I guess we will have to wait till these are actually in people's rigs, to see what kind of ETH hashrate they do, and if/by how much the LHR is able to be bypassed.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I did a bit of research on currently listed 3080 12GB models, and the ones I found were listed as LHR, so maybe not. I suspect a FHR 3080 would do largely better, but who knows how much "lighter" the hashrate is on these, compared to if they had no limiter. I guess we will have to wait till these are actually in people's rigs, to see what kind of ETH hashrate they do, and if/by how much the LHR is able to be bypassed.
Well, unless they updated the limiter so you can no longer get 74% of the uncapped hashrate, these should end up being around 90MH/s when dialed in.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
The 3060ti in my wife's box and my 3070 in my box have paid for themselves over the past year. I'm happy. However, with ETH finally set on going PoS mid summer I wouldn't be buying any card right now. If all things align, i.e. if ETH does go PoS mid summer, if Intel does come out with their dedicated card, and if nVidia/AMD come out with 40xx/7xxx series by the end of the year, the resulting collapse in prices is going to be legendary - it has potential to be as epic as picking up 290's/Fury's for half off MSRP 5 years ago. Personally I'm looking forward to ditching my 3070 in favor of AMD if only for deplorable nVidia tactics.
I don't know about prices dropping after Ethereum goes PoS, Intel comes out with their Arc line-up, and when the next-gen cards launch. It's not that I don't think it's possible; I just think that given the supply crunch we're in, there's a chance that the Arc cards will get priced at the same inflated price as its direct competition, and the faster, next-gen Nvidia and AMD cards will just have prices that slot above the current gen cards. In effect, the perf/$ needle doesn't move all that much. I hope you're right and I'm wrong here, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I saw the price on the Newegg shuffle today for the EVGA 3080 12GB, and the huge jump in cost over the 3080 likely alludes to why they don't want reviews. The card (by itself) is $1299, so it might have an MSRP of $1099 (putting it $100 below the 3080 Ti's $1199).

Hah! Funnily enough I just picked up T400 for $128 shipped from dell technologies. I needed a single slot low power card for my PLEX server however used P400 (and other P Quadros) prices were pretty ridiculous considering they're 5 years old at this point. I just decided to pay a bit extra and just get a brand new T400. I wouldn't be using it to game, but to my surprise it can actually game, I never would have thought it's be able to run RDRII at 1080p.

If I recall, the reason why certain Quadro cards go for more is because Nvidia doesn't artificially limit their number of NVENC/NVDEC streams. I was tempted to pick one up at one point for that very reason.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If I recall, the reason why certain Quadro cards go for more is because Nvidia doesn't artificially limit their number of NVENC/NVDEC streams. I was tempted to pick one up at one point for that very reason.
That only applies to a small subset of cards such as P2000 which does not have 3 stream software limit. The card that I was looking at P400 is limited to 3 streams just like regular geforce cards. Between paying $80-100 for a 5 year old P400 and $128 for a brand new T400 I'd rather throw a little extra and get a new card.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
In effect, the perf/$ needle doesn't move all that much. I hope you're right and I'm wrong here, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I think the Intel cards will have a decent MSRP so if you're quick you may be able to pick one up for a decent, but they'll almost certainly be in short supply, so prices will creep up once Newegg and scalpers get their hands on them.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I saw the price on the Newegg shuffle today for the EVGA 3080 12GB, and the huge jump in cost over the 3080 likely alludes to why they don't want reviews. The card (by itself) is $1299, so it might have an MSRP of $1099 (putting it $100 below the 3080 Ti's $1199).
That's not even a Newegg tax, that's actual EVGA price. Even on EVGA's site the FTW3 is $1299 and the XC3 is $1249, $380 and $370 more than their respective 10GB versions.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That's not even a Newegg tax, that's actual EVGA price. Even on EVGA's site the FTW3 is $1299 and the XC3 is $1249, $380 and $370 more than their respective 10GB versions.

Oh, to be clear, when I was talking about MSRP, I meant if there were an FE version of the card (i.e. Nvidia's "imaginary" and mostly useless MSRP). That's based off how much the 3080 Ti costs ($1199) and the increase on the EVGA card. Albeit, my guess could be wrong too; it could be $999.