Nvidia officially green lights custom designed Titan boards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roadrunners

Jan 7, 2013
It's the boost thing that confuses things a bit here, Anand's titan was boosting to just under 1GHz during their benchmarking. So a 35% oc from 837Mhz gives you 1130Mhz but if you were already boosting to nearly 1000Mhz, you're really only getting ~130Mhz which lines up well with the 10% boost you're seeing. Thats how I think it works anyways:biggrin:

I hear what you are saying but i dont think this is the case from what i have seen on the web. The guru review shows the stock setting as being 876mhz and overclocked setting as 1176mhz. Also the user reviews seem to back up the 10% return for a similar overclock with clocks of around 1000mhz to 1170-1200mhz showing less of an increase in frames.

A gtx 680 seems to give a larger return as a percentage and 10% overclock gives approx 5% return in frames.

:)

I'm not really sure how else to word this.. Yes, you can overclock the card, but that overclock will not hold. What started out as a 35% OC ends up being far less, exactly how much less varries.

I can see this being an issue with regards to gaming for long periods of time but surely a few minute benchmark shouldn't scale back the clocks if the temps are kept low enough. :)

I just find the overclocking results in terms of frames to be allot lower than I expected from this chip.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
You'd be incorrect. It's an issue as soon as there load. Power consumption is directly related to load, not duration. It's not a temp throttling mechanism (although one exists). It's power consumption.

Overclocking results in terms of frames are poor because again, you aren't getting the over-clock you think you're getting. I won't repeat it for a 4th time in 10 minutes so if you want to continue to believe a 35% OC was achieved and maintained, so be it.

Last edited:

Roadrunners

Jan 7, 2013
You'd be incorrect. Is an issue as soon as there load. Power consumption is directly related to load, not duration. It's not a temp throttling mechanism (although one exists). It's power consumption.

I agree that power consumption is directly related. The overclock relies on both temp and voltage with 265w (106%) being the max this card can pull. The 265w seems to be limiting the clock speeds.

In your opinion what clock speeds are these cards maxing out on at a constant max overclock? Do you have any links to show this. The reason why I am asking is I always overclock on water and this card doesn't seem to yield much in terms of actual frames and watercooling would be hampered but the 265w max limit.

Edit: have you actually read the guru review? It shows 1100-1176 mhz yes there is some scaling back but it still shows a low overclock percentage to frames ratio which is the point I am trying to make. I am just looking on info in how far these cards can be pushed and what sort of return on frames can be expected.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
1334MHz at 86C?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Valley incorrectly reports GPU core clock. In keeps adding 100MHz to mine. Unless they fixed it, that Titan is likely 1234MHz. Still a very respectable o/c IMHO. Oh wait, I cant have opinions I'd only be lying to myself.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Not that I saw, sorry :(

All I can say from that screen is that it's under load, and it's fully heated up (end of run).

Has the power limit bios editor been released yet?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
In this screenshot, Valley is reporting 1267MHz on my GTX660. According to eVGA Precision Tool, it's 1167MHz.

VallyIncorrectClocks_zps8ec51ff2.jpg

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Guru3d shows clocks of 1170mhz and it only it only yields 10% boost in frames.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_overclock_guide,1.html

User benchmarks are also showing similar results.

that is a respectable oc. can only image added performance.
such performance boost will help bring the price/performance ratio back to being sane.

-----

clearly an indication of throttling.

let's hope the non reference design does not have that power cap.

otherwise it will be another fail for titan.