Nvidia Just Released a New Card: Titan Xp -- Full 3840 Cuda Cores Chip for $1200 --Yes for Real!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Why is this such a bad thing? The people that can afford to front the initial cost of these products get tired of them and want something new. So they sell their GPUs at a significantly lower cost than what they paid for it, and thus someone with less money that couldn't afford these high end luxury products brand new, can now own them and enjoy them as well. It's a win win situation.

A win win until that older card is no longer well supported driver wise. I'd be very wary of a 980ti used, unless at/under $250 at this point.

The way I see it, the main culprit is AMD. NVidia is an exceptionally strong and innovative company. Without equal opposition, they will do whatever they want and command absurd prices for their products because there is a DEMAND for it. 4K and HDR will increase this demand even more in the future, so it ain't going to be going away any time soon.

Just lol. Yes, lets just blame everything on AMD for its idiocies and not greedy companies being greedy companies, more worried about stock market values than long term company health, product quality and customer service. Intel doesn't have to be the arrogant tards they are at times. At least their foray into mobile/tablet chips lowered prices there. And no you can't ignore the customers who seem to be unable to get off the new graphics card carousel every 6 months in the almighty quest to get 5 more fps helping to push up prices.

Most aren't jealous of your Titan XpP, they're boggling at you willing to spend 40%+ more cash for such little gain, on products that depreciate in a matter of months, often involving software that can be buggy for months. Buy what you want ( I certainly waste money on cpus/systems these days), but don't tell me its justified performance/dollar spent.

As for the new name, Nvidia marketing team is really phoning it in these days.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Those getting the new Titan xp better roll out the dough for a waterblock if they want to take advantage of that card and getting a good OC on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
A win win until that older card is no longer well supported driver wise. I'd be very wary of a 980ti used, unless at/under $250 at this point.

Last time I checked, NVidia had better driver support than their competition and the whole Kepler losing steam because of drivers was totally disproven. It's going to be years before NVidia pulls the plug on Maxwell.

Just lol. Yes, lets just blame everything on AMD for its idiocies and not greedy companies being greedy companies, more worried about stock market values than long term company health, product quality and customer service.

So AMD not being greedy and not worrying about stock market values led to better long term company health, product quality and customer service?

WTH are you smoking?! o_O

And no you can't ignore the customers who seem to be unable to get off the new graphics card carousel every 6 months in the almighty quest to get 5 more fps helping to push up prices.

How is it pushing up prices? There's always been halo products in one form or another over the years. The Titan Xp isn't geared towards mainstream enthusiasts, no more than the Titan Z or the Asus Ares products which were even more exorbitant and less efficient.

tDikAq.png

Or do you only hate NVidia halo products? :smirk:

Most aren't jealous of your Titan XpP, they're boggling at you willing to spend 40%+ more cash for such little gain, on products that depreciate in a matter of months, often involving software that can be buggy for months. Buy what you want ( I certainly waste money on cpus/systems these days), but don't tell me its justified performance/dollar spent.

I think you're exaggerating the depreciation. Halo hardware always depreciates less than mainstream. Even my GTX 1080, which I paid over 700 for at launch almost a year ago, is worth about $500 today used (in mint condition with all the accessories), and over $500 brand new. That's about a 30% depreciation, which isn't bad for computer hardware. A Titan Xp will have even better resale value.

And I don't know where you're getting me talking about performance/dollar. I haven't brought up performance per dollar during this entire thread. YOU guys are the ones that are doing it, not me.

Reactions: Sweepr

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Those getting the new Titan xp better roll out the dough for a waterblock if they want to take advantage of that card and getting a good OC on it.

I've already stated many times, that a water block doesn't guarantee good overclocks on the Pascal cards. The most you will get on water is probably 2.2ghz, and only if you hit the silicone lottery. On air, it's about 2.1ghz, and again, only if you hit the silicon lottery.

Where water cooling will help the most, is in stabilizing the clock frequencies. Actually, that's about the only thing I'm worried about with the Titan Xp, is the noise factor due to the blower.

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5775/...4000-gpus-being-moved-to-legacy-status-in-may

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9815/amd-moves-pre-gcn-gpus-to-legacy

AMD driver support is utter garbage.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/117263/en-us

Fermi 400/500 series is STILL SUPPORTED in the latest 381.65 WHQL driver which brings Win10 Creators Update & WDDM 2.2 support to Fermi.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5417406&postcount=68

WDDM 2.2 support for Fermi as well.

Smart people can see the huge difference. Lies about Kepler driver support & performance "gimping" were DEBUNKED HARD, but keep trying though to post fake news about that.

Trolling and off-topic are not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
"A win win until that older card is no longer well supported driver wise. I'd be very wary of a 980ti used, unless at/under $250 at this point."

First post on this page, trying to insinuate that Maxwell driver support is "gimped" which is anything but another lie.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see now. The post wasn't quoted so it lacked context.

I swear, you guys sure do love getting jabs in on the competing company whenever and however you can. There's certainly no appeal in it for me.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
"A win win until that older card is no longer well supported driver wise. I'd be very wary of a 980ti used, unless at/under $250 at this point."

First post on this page, trying to insinuate that Maxwell driver support is "gimped" which is anything but another lie.

My point besides drivers was, why buy a used 980ti at 250 or even 300 when you can get a new 1070 for $50-100 more or even a 1060.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Last time I checked, NVidia had better driver support than their competition and the whole Kepler losing steam because of drivers was totally disproven. It's going to be years before NVidia pulls the plug on Maxwell.

Hey, I'm a 970 owner and I'll believe it when I see it.

Or do you only hate NVidia halo products? :smirk:

No, I 'm not much of a fan of any halo products or sli/cf either.

I think you're exaggerating the depreciation. Halo hardware always depreciates less than mainstream. Even my GTX 1080, which I paid over 700 for at launch almost a year ago, is worth about $500 today used (in mint condition with all the accessories), and over $500 brand new. That's about a 30% depreciation, which isn't bad for computer hardware. A Titan Xp will have even better resale value.

And I don't know where you're getting me talking about performance/dollar. I haven't brought up performance per dollar during this entire thread. YOU guys are the ones that are doing it, not me.

The comparison is inevitable when you bring up the new Titan's performance. And yes, the 1080 is a better buy because the hit on it is less. Really, anyone who bought a 980 should have seen the writing on the wall then and held out for a 1080ti. The Titan Xp is a 40% price drop in what, 5-6 months? Whatever the exact date for the 1080ti release was and then boom, new Titan at $1200.

Buy what you want man, but you're living in fantasy land to complain about comparisons on performance or price wise.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005

Good luck getting $500 for it used. You can buy aftermarket 1080s now for under 500 with a free game bundle. Microcenter was even offering them for $499 with a $50 rebate on some of them bringing the cost of the card to around ~$400. I sold my 1080s for around $430 (in mint condition with all the accessories).

Thinker_145

Apr 19, 2016
How does one justify one of these vs SLI 1080Ti? Surely $200 is not a matter of significance for this audience.

Now generally I favour 1 card over 2 but not when the actual difference between the single cards is so minute.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Halo hardware always depreciates less than mainstream.
Not when you get four cards with 700$+ launch prices in the span of less than a year. With mid-range cards you don't usually see the big(in the range of 40-50%) depreciation till the next generation of cards are released. Now you have accelerated depreciation even with halo products in the same generation - Titan X Pascals can be had on ebay now for 700~750$.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
The Titan Xp is a 40% price drop in what, 5-6 months? Whatever the exact date for the 1080ti release was and then boom, new Titan at $1200.

Where are you getting this info? Volta for consumers will not ship until next year, so it will be over a year until we see a Titan Volta.

Buy what you want man, but you're living in fantasy land to complain about comparisons on performance or price wise.

I can definitely understand why people don't like the Titan Xp, due to price and performance comparisons. 10-15% over the GTX 1080 Ti for the huge jump in price is a tough pill to swallow. But I see it as a short term investment and not a permanent solution, just like with any other video card.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
How does one justify one of these vs SLI 1080Ti? Surely $200 is not a matter of significance for this audience.

Now generally I favour 1 card over 2 but not when the actual difference between the single cards is so minute

As someone that used SLI for about 7 years straight, I could write a lengthy paragraph as to why SLI is not only a big headache, but a waste of money. But instead I'll just go down the line:

1) Poor scaling leading to inefficiency.

2) Shoddy implementation in games leading to bad performance, bugs and visual corruption issues.

3) Sometimes you have to wait for profiles to be available.
4) Cost factor, and not just with the GPUs. SLI thrives on powerful CPUs and beefy power supplies so it amplifies overall system cost.

5) Lackluster support in game engines due to how difficult it is for developers to implement properly.

6) Makes reselling even harder.

7) Increased susceptibility to uneven frame latency.

There's more I'm sure, but that's just off the top of my head.

The only way I would recommend SLI to anyone these days is if they have a 4K monitor and want high framerates.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Titan X Pascals can be had on ebay now for 700~750$.

I looked at eBay just now and I didn't see a single Titan X Pascal for that price. You probably looked at bids. Final offers are around $900 and up.

Anyway, market is being flooded right now due to so many Titan X Pascal owners offloading their cards due to NVidia dropping the Titan Xp bomb yesterday.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Good luck getting $500 for it used. You can buy aftermarket 1080s now for under 500 with a free game bundle. Microcenter was even offering them for $499 with a $50 rebate on some of them bringing the cost of the card to around ~$400. I sold my 1080s for around $430 (in mint condition with all the accessories).

What GTX 1080s did you have? A brand new Zotac Amp Extreme costs almost $600 on Newegg right now, so the very high end ones retain their value better it seems.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
What GTX 1080s did you have? A brand new Zotac Amp Extreme costs almost $600 on Newegg right now, so the very high end ones retain their value better it seems.
I had a FE that sold for 430 and an EVGA SC that sold for 450. I bought both new for around ~530 on Craigslist so I didn't take much off a hit. The zotac ones might net you a little more but people don't really want to buy used for close to 500 now because of the free game bundle going on now and potential rebates.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I had a FE that sold for 430 and an EVGA SC that sold for 450. I bought both new for around ~530 on Craigslist so I didn't take much off a hit. The zotac ones might net you a little more but people don't really want to buy used for close to 500 now because of the free game bundle going on now and potential rebates.

Yeah I think you're right. Waiting for the damn aftermarket 1080 Ti made me miss the best time window to sell my GTX 1080. This is the second time this has happened to me, but it won't happen again!

Reactions: Arachnotronic