Question Nvidia geforce vs quadro gpus

laptop_user23

Nov 26, 2019
I am wondering what are the pros of getting a quadro gpu? As far as I can tell, for a large percent of use cases, someone can get more gpu performance/amount spent on the gpu from a comparable geforce gpu.

I am trying to convince myself one way or another on whether to get a laptop with a mid-tier quadro gpu (because I will perform some CAD tool usage in grad school), or if I should get a similarly priced laptop with a top-tier geforce gpu. Specific gpus being compared in my case are Quadro T2000 vs. GeForce RTX 2070 Max Q

I understand there is more driver stability for specific CAD tools, and computational precision with quadro gpus. But my hesitance stems from paying the same price for mid-tier quadro vs top-tier geforce gpu. Anyone have some insight on the relevant benefit of getting a quadro gpu laptop?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Honestly, if you can benefit from the ISV certified applications and error correction, then you would probably know. There's no point here. You're talking about using CAD tools in grad school, but if it mattered, they would tell you that it mattered, but there's very little chance you'll be doing anything that needs high performance or ECC Memory on a laptop.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mostly ecc memory and drivers support, some app features work only on quadro. Some things you can hack/tune but not everything. I’d pay extra to save myself from those hassles though.

Get a quadro and learn something else. Gaming can get boring.