Question NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 REVIEWS, – Faster Than GTX 1070 Ti For $349 US

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
So everyone should give up on any generational perf improvements from here on?

Can't wait for the 3060, 2070 performance for only 450 bucks, what a deal

Before we knew the next generation would focus on Ray Tracing, I predicted we would stall out on price/performance gains.

The mining crisis let GPU makers know that enthusiasts would keep buying gaming cards even with MUCH higher pricing, so they could boost generation pricing on the next round of cards to give them fatter margins.

I wouldn't count on AMD delivering a big breakthrough on Perf/$. Look at their recent mild refresh of polaris; RX 590. It has worse Perf/$ than the RX 580.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
What may help with the situation is if Navi is slated at later this year we'll have had a further buffer away from mining. Demand sag then and market conditions may necessitate a somewhat higher value offering. I wouldn't be surprised if current RTX products dropped by $50-$100 by end of 2019 regardless of AMD competitiveness due to various factors.

I am skeptical though of how aggressive some are predicting with respect to Navi. In order to hit the performance targets that have been bandied about you're likely looking at similar die size to Polaris (which will be more expensive) and GDDR6 (which will be more expensive). So a $250 launch price for that seems unlikely as that would mean even lower margins than RX 480 had.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
As per the above charts its basically a 1070Ti with Raytracing and 2GB less vram for slightly less. Unimpressive. If it had kept the 8GB framebuffer then I and most others here wouldn't be so harsh on it.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Just in terms of hardware resources if you looked a the Turing line so far there is higher gain in terms of value/$ as you go down the line (higher than it was for Pascal actually). So this does bode well in terms of what you get for future releases going forward as well.

The VRAM trade off is a dilemma though. On one hand Turing's uarch changes may have higher uplift going forward, on the other hand the lower VRAM may prove problematic.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
As per the above charts its basically a 1070Ti with Raytracing and 2GB less vram for slightly less. Unimpressive. If it had kept the 8GB framebuffer then I and most others here wouldn't be so harsh on it.

my math sucks, if the gtx1070ti was 100$ cheaper where would it be on this chart? 155?

I would guess the rtx 2060 has the top raw performance on the price performance chart, correct?
that makes it the best higher end card you can buy as far as price performance is concerned correct?

performance-per-dollar_1920-1080.png

Last edited:

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
my math sucks, if the gtx1070ti was 100$ cheaper where would it be on this chart? 155?

I would guess the rtx 2060 has the top raw performance on the price performance chart, correct?
that makes it the best higher end card you can buy as far as price performance is concerned correct?

View attachment 2245
I don't know, i was never very good at maths either. Maybe someone here with good math can explain.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Don't get me wrong, this is objectively a great card in its own right; a real engineering accomplishment. But I have SERIOUS issue with the price creep we are seeing.

GTX 960 launched at $199
GTX 1060 launched at $249
GTX 2060 launching at $349

People weren't paying so much during the mining craze because they were willing to, they were paying so much because they had no choice.
Now mining has crashed and equivalent performing cards are plentiful and can be had far cheaper. Things are different now that mining has died down, and AMD has an opportunity to repeat with nvidia what they did to intel; if only they could just execute.
I'm no analyst, but a glance at nvidia's stock price would suggest to me that someone is unhappy with them.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
6gb vram is a problem. Not now but in 2 years it could be. AMD is providing 8gb for less than $250 so Nvidia can as well.
mabe they are counting on us buying the 7nm 3060 in 18 months ? :)
but yea for people that keep there cards for more than 2 generations it might be a problem.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
Before we knew the next generation would focus on Ray Tracing, I predicted we would stall out on price/performance gains.

The mining crisis let GPU makers know that enthusiasts would keep buying gaming cards even with MUCH higher pricing, so they could boost generation pricing on the next round of cards to give them fatter margins.

I wouldn't count on AMD delivering a big breakthrough on Perf/$. Look at their recent mild refresh of polaris; RX 590. It has worse Perf/$ than the RX 580.
Don't discount Turings SM improvements though. 30% additional performance at the same price point would've been enough, especially with the lack of competition.

This is less about pursuing additional avenues of graphics evolution and more about transferring compute cost and profit margins onto the consumer side.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Don't get me wrong, this is objectively a great card in its own right; a real engineering accomplishment. But I have SERIOUS issue with the price creep we are seeing.
We are paying for the shift to raytracing and DLSS. If they hadn't included any RTX or tensor cores the dies would have been much smaller and the cards cheaper yet just as fast. However they have made ray tracing the big thing for this gen so that leads to big dies and big costs.

Personally I want the new features to take off as I can see just being able to push more triangles has diminishing returns. However I've got no interest in buying a 2xxx card (quite happy on a 1070) so I'm thinking more about the 3xxx which should be the one to go for after the 7nm shrink and the tech has been around for a while so devs are better at using it.

Obviously they can only get away with it as AMD is offering zero competition - from Nvidia's point of view we'll still buy the cards as there is no other choice, and then when AMD finally release something new at 7nm, Nvidia respond and we still buy Nvidia because the 2xxx series groundwork has made raytracing ubiquitous and AMD don't do raytracing well.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
So here's my dilemma...I've been trying to replace an EVGA 760 SC for a HTPC/gaming PC. Was about to pull trigger on 1070 OC for about $335 (with Fortnite and MH), but this really complicates things. I have a 1080 in my main gaming rig, so I don't need top of the top for this one. Do I try to grab a 2060 now? Or go with the 1070 I was looking at? Or wait for 1160 details? The confusion is real.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
We are paying for the shift to raytracing and DLSS. If they hadn't included any RTX or tensor cores the dies would have been much smaller and the cards cheaper yet just as fast. However they have made ray tracing the big thing for this gen so that leads to big dies and big costs.

Personally I want the new features to take off as I can see just being able to push more triangles has diminishing returns. However I've got no interest in buying a 2xxx card (quite happy on a 1070) so I'm thinking more about the 3xxx which should be the one to go for after the 7nm shrink and the tech has been around for a while so devs are better at using it.

Obviously they can only get away with it as AMD is offering zero competition - from Nvidia's point of view we'll still buy the cards as there is no other choice, and then when AMD finally release something new at 7nm, Nvidia respond and we still buy Nvidia because the 2xxx series groundwork has made raytracing ubiquitous and AMD don't do raytracing well.

I have to respectfully disagree, sure nvidia has invested more money each generation, and sure these dice are larger. But look at their margins, they are making more money than ever.
I fully realize that any company exists solely to make a profit, but this is not out of necessity, it is out of greed.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
How much of the die is used by RTX or tensor cores?
I'm curious to know.
The big Turing die uses 50% of the die area for RT and Tensor cores.
vXwWCIY.jpg

Reactions: happy medium

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
My 1060 has a TDP of 120w.
Think a stock Dell PSU can handle a 160w card?

Although, at that price point I won't have to find out. Shame.