Nvidia FXAA in Unreal Samaritan Demo (running on Kepler)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Do you think Oblivion failed hard for not supporting DX11 and not releasing a high resolution texture pack until 2 1/2 months later?
Skyrim. And unlike Crysis 2, Skyrim is a great game.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Do you think Oblivion failed hard for not supporting DX11 and not releasing a high resolution texture pack until 2 1/2 months later?

I presume you mean Skyrim and it sold far better on PC than Crysis 2 did. That said, it's still debatable whether it's a good game.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010

Crysis 2 took forever to get DX11 and a high res texture pack.

That said I waited until it did then bought with confidence knowing my system would handle it because of Fermi tess performance.

Good thing the other side put in driver level tess reduction, er I mean "optimization" otherwise the game would have been unplayable for them.

lol @ water tess, looked amazing though.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011

That said I waited until it did then bought with confidence knowing my system would handle it because of Fermi tess performance.

Good thing the other side put in driver level tess reduction, er I mean "optimization" otherwise the game would have been unplayable for them.

Too bad Nvidia didn't follow AMD which essentially locked everyone who wasn't willing to buy their latest and greatest out of DX11 just to look better in benchmarks.

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
Wow you're getting excited at.... wait for it.... a bag?! How many gigawatts is that bad boy, how many shaders does it have? Hey, I have Kepler too, look guys!

180c6a93-c49e-1ee3.jpg

I sort of wish there was a like button just for that.

t-master

Mar 8, 2012

Well there's been a reason why it was unplayable:
http://hothardware.com/News/Indepth...Shows-Highly-Questionable-Tessellation-Usage/

Great optimization by Nvidia, right? ;)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Haters out in force in this thread, its almost funny, if it wasn't so sad...

Nobody is hating man, come on get real. FXAA/SMAA/MLAA these are not nvidia or AMD dependent features, they run on either vendor's card.

They're s**t. If you want to accept lowered IQ well go ahead and smile while you are fed a crap sandwich. Thought we were supposed to be going forward with visual fidelity, not backwards.

The problem is the nvidia zealots who get pumped when anything related to nv is released and rage if someone does not jump on board. Good grief, I could care less about nv & unreal's tech demo, there is not even a game out there that looks like this. I do care about devs and now nvidia trying to push a feature that reduces IQ.

FXAA = blur city

4xmsaablurry.jpg

No FXAA = crisp textures and clarity

edgeaa3.jpg

Four year old game looking better than its sequel in 2011 = priceless

apop1.jpg

Or compare

Crysis 1 PC vs 360
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_1m...&feature=feedu

Crysis 2 PC vs 360
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtHAP...424&feature=iv

Crysis 2 on PC vs 360 is not much different. Crysis 1 on PC vs 360 is comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
What you call crisp I call jagged and unrealistic.

My brain starts having convulsions if the detail level at 7 feet is the same detail I can see at 1700 feet.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
He meant Skyrim, and was joking in that post.
Most of the time I have to pick through uninformed drivel or inane arguments, so I must excuse myself for expecting the imbecilic, especially from certain posters.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Did Crytek ever comment on the invisible tesselated ocean thing? Seems like it deserved an explanation but my google-fu only shows independent confirmation that it exists not something explaining 'why' it is there. Just reasoned speculation that it was to up the tesselation load and thus give a wider fps swing from NVIDIA to AMD. I would like to think Epic is above including something like an invisible cig smoke particle fog in their demo. Unless there was a programmatic need for it, that is. ;p

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
What you call crisp I call jagged and unrealistic.

My brain starts having convulsions if the detail level at 7 feet is the same detail I can see at 1700 feet.

Well at least you are halfway getting it. Lazy dev implements FXAA to deal with aliasing at the expense of the whole image going down the toilet vs a dev who implements proper MSAA on edges that maintains a proper image and reduces aliasing.

That is the option Cryport 2 presented, blurfest and no aliasing, or aliasing and textures that are not behind coke bottle glass :thumbsdown:

I don't even get why nvidia is not pushing for more use of deferred MSAA, they love features that drastically reduce performance and encourage buying more powerful cards. Deferred MSAA is one I think is worth it.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I don't see the validity in assuming Cryteks poor coding was actually a conspiracy against AMD.

Nvidia and Crytek had known for awhile I'm sure that AMD had tess based driver level modifications, set to default with profiles it actually hurts Nvidia more than AMD because AMD just turned the tess factor down to near 0 by default.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

My brain would have convulsions with those kinds of minimums.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Seems like an awfully big elephant in the room to not comment on though. If it was to get a certain effect working without spending undo amount of time coding it, Crytek hasn't said one way or the other. Perhaps they were a bit embarrassed?

They basically got caught out with the invisible ocean beneath the land and the fact your FPS would drop sharply whenever a concrete barrier came into view because they tessellated it so heavily and you couldn't even see the benefit, but you sure noticed the FPS drop.

I think there was not much of a deal made of it because Crysis 2 was rapidly relegated to the $5 bargain dust bin and didn't do well on the PC. Another console port.