Nvidia drops out of chipset business

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Exactly... And then WE get ban warnings for pointing out how much of a troll he is, while he roams around freely, under the pretext of "Im teh victimz of personel attakk!!11"

Get the hell out of here... everyones tired of your constant FUD, go troll Nvnews or something

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Exactly... And then WE get ban warnings for pointing out how much of a troll he is, while he roams around freely, under the pretext of "Im teh victimz of personel attakk!!11"

Get the hell out of here... everyones tired of your constant FUD, go troll Nvnews or something

I second that, favoritism to certain members is just very unfair, there's two guys in here which always spread flamebaiting, FUD, misinformation and cheap nVidia marketing propaganda without remorse, is just tiresome, can we get some neutrality in here? Its too much to ask? I'm quite neutral but since I came here I just went to ATi side to level the things a bit (Rollo was quite a troll at that time), but I was never was a ATi blind fan, because also I pin point a lot of their mistakes (Late SM3.0 adoption, HD 2900XT flop etc), but seems that for some certain fans of the green team, is a challenge to point a mistake done by the company and just try hard to pretend that wasn't a mistake, just a marketing move to ensure quality, yeah right.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
It's already been discussed before. They aren't going to ban him because there's no way to prove he's actually trolling and not just an incredible idiot. That's the official moderator stance.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I can deal with the fanboisim. It's the dirty tricks I can't stand: editing posts to make it seem like you said something different, redirecting of criticism towards others, playing victim etc.

Say what you have to say but don't try and game the system.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: dguy6789
It's already been discussed before. They aren't going to ban him because there's no way to prove he's actually trolling and not just an incredible idiot. That's the official moderator stance.

Well, take a look at these posts in a row:

Originally posted by: T2k
Originally posted by: Xcobra
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: dguy6789
*Plays Nvidia a sad song on the world's smallest violin*

You have to love the ATI fan hypocrisy. When AMD goes bankrupt you guys will have to find something new to fill that void in your life.

Intel is merely shoring up their monopoly. A monopoly that will be built on top of AMD's bones.

ATI fans will destroy their own company if it will hurt NVIDIA even a little. Havok is another prime example of this.

Siding with Intel against NVIDIA is like a mouse siding with a cat against a chipmunk.

At least the chipmunk knows to keep a distance.

Larrabee will come out and crossfire will suddenly stop working on Intel chipsets.....

The question is, can YOU be any more of a fanboy?

And how is it possible that he always gets a free card with this constant flamebaiting...?

Originally posted by: evolucion8
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself

I second that, favoritism to certain members is just very unfair, there's two guys in here which always spread flamebaiting, FUD, misinformation and cheap nVidia marketing propaganda without remorse, is just tiresome, can we get some neutrality in here? Its too much to ask? I'm quite neutral but since I came here I just went to ATi side to level the things a bit (Rollo was quite a troll at that time), but I was never was a ATi blind fan, because also I pin point a lot of their mistakes (Late SM3.0 adoption, HD 2900XT flop etc), but seems that for some certain fans of the green team, is a challenge to point a mistake done by the company and just try hard to pretend that wasn't a mistake, just a marketing move to ensure quality, yeah right.

Now take a good guess: which mfr's supporter is he or any other free rider here

Now you're getting it, I hope...

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
i don't mind disputing facts and benchmarks with an actual fellow enthusiast, I just feel as though that's not what we are dealing with here. I'm tired of being stirred up by him. I read threads from newcomers into these forums asking for advice only to see this robot regergitate the same friggin thing over and over. I wonder if he is actually a spam bot and not an actual person, lol

maybe something can be done about it, i dunno. Frankly, the only thing that i think that will happen is that i will get a warning or vacation from a mod for derailing the thread as if that is the correct thing to do. It's not like it is just me crying wolf here. There are tons of members that feel the same way as me. Whatever, enough of this time from me as this is not the place for it.

Sorry for taking up space in this thread with off topic banter...

lava

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
i don't mind disputing facts and benchmarks with an actual fellow enthusiast, I just feel as though that's not what we are dealing with here. I'm tired of being stirred up by him. I read threads from newcomers into these forums asking for advice only to see this robot regergitate the same friggin thing over and over. I wonder if he is actually a spam bot and not an actual person, lol

maybe something can be done about it, i dunno. Frankly, the only thing that i think that will happen is that i will get a warning or vacation from a mod for derailing the thread as if that is the correct thing to do. It's not like it is just me crying wolf here. There are tons of members that feel the same way as me. Whatever, enough of this time from me as this is not the place for it.

Sorry for taking up space in this thread with off topic banter...

lava
I think it's on topic as any in the Video Cards section. One trend I've noticed is to just prove him wrong, especially through logic. It's usually quite simple and he'll either sheepishly leave the thread or ignore the post. If he ignores the post, just keep going after him until he either has to respond or leave. Either way it gets the message across to the people reading the thread :thumbsup:.

And guys, if you get pissed over video cards, look out the window, it's only a computer part :p. If you get pissed over people spreading misinformation and outright lying, simply post the truth with sources and request theirs. Pretty quick way to end a debate :).

Originally posted by: T2kAnd how is it possible that he always gets a free card with this constant flamebaiting...?
Because it's heavily NVIDIA biased; think about who's on the mod team. Like I said, post the truth, and even the most basic computer folk will obviously see what's going on. It's their credibility, not yours.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How could a company that's worth less than AMD's debt buy them out?

nVidia has close to as much liquidity as AMD's entire market cap(well, ~60%). nV's market cap is also several times larger then AMD's. Due to this, AMD isn't going to get the kind of interest rates on their loans that nVidia would be able to if they were to acquire them. Debtors get sketchy when you debt is 3x your market cap, for understandable reasons. nV could likely restructure much of the existing debt and pay down a good deal of it if that is what they wanted to do.

I'm not saying nVidia will purchase AMD, not even saying it is likely, but as of right now it is impossible for AMD to acquirie nVidia and if nV did end up acquiring AMD it wouldn't shock me.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: Grooveriding
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
This is very bad news. I loved my Nforce4, Nforce3 and Nforce2 motherboards :(

Competition is always good in the market. But even I have to admit. Once I moved to the core 2 duo I havent had an Nvidia chipset in a single computer I have built. With the direction of bringing more and more on the cpu die. There is less and less of a compelling reason to purchase based on chipset in my eyes.

I have used other motherboards which don't use Nvidia Chipsets but have always come back to Nvidia because their chipsets offered the best performance and reliability.

Is this a joke post ? Nvidia's mb chipsets were terrible compared to Intel's.. 680/780 etc.. were crap.

Sorry I should of made my original post more clear. I have always used AMD rather than Intel so my comment was about Nvidia AMD Motherboards.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
C'mon guys, NV strategy is so obvious that I don't understant how some of you can't even see it! I'm not even in the hi-tech field (not as a main profession anyway) and even I can see it!

1. Intel has been attacking NV chipset business for years now. And now it has finally come to the point that Intel has broken NV's will. Intel has the money to drag this out for years if they have to, and while the issue is in court, NV's R&D will go nowhere. And by the time the court is done, NV will be so behind that it'll exit the chipset business anyway.

2. As of this point and going forward, NV's strategy is in GPGPU computing and mobile device computing. Ugh,,, isn't NV's GPU getting bigger with GPGPU stuff confirming this strategy? NV has not left the gamer arena yet,.. but I have no doubt that NV will eventually leave the enthusiast gamers in the dust for more lucrative markets in GPGPU computing and mobile device.

3. Intel will not NV off the radar from this point onward. Intel now sees NV as a direct competitor in the "computing" business, just like how Intel saw Transmeta was. And knowing Intel, they'll do everything in their power to cut NV out of anything that it could, even if it takes years. Some of you NV supporters were happy hat Larabee got delayed, saying asmusing stuff like NV still owns Intel... blah blah... well just keep in mind that Intel is in it for the long run and they have the money to outlast NV.

Now as for some of you saying AMD going bankrupt soon. Jesus you haven't learn a thing haven't you? There are a number of reason that AMD will not go bankrupt!

1)
Intel does NOT want AMD to go bk because this will only bring in the regulators. Intel would much rather compete with a weak competitor than with the regulators! Invetors hate regulators because regulators bring in a lot of uncertainty. The fact that Intel is licensing Havok to AMD for pretty much nothing is indicative that Intel does put in a half-assed effort to help AMD fend off NV.

2)
people have been saying AMD going bk for a LONG time now. Yet today, AMD is still alive, and in fact, AMD as a company today has a brighter future than it was 7-8 years ago, and it didn't go bk back then did it??

3)
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned about Abu Dhubai money yet, or was it Arab money. How much was it? Oh yes, $5 billion of Arab money being pumped into AMD for a new fab somewhere in New York. We are talking about Arab oil money here, and where that money is coming from there are plenty of it left! Oil shieks have been making a killing in oil since Bush came into office, and continues to so even today. That oil money is going to have to be re-invested somewhere. In the past, Arab money traditionally don't venture into the high tech much, but lately with so much oil money to play with (even in this recession), Arab oil money are finding their ways into US techs. It's a growing investment trend all over the rich Arab world. Furthermore, there is a great desire in many Arab funds to acquire sound American tech companies because they would like to use the same technology to better their own societies too! Buying American tech companies is the cheapeast way for Arabs to transfer and integrate such technology into their societies. I can guarantee you guys that at the slightest hint of "bankruptcy", some Arab fund will swoop in and swap up AMD... like how they swoop in and grabbed a chunk of the American financials. One thing that AMD management has over NV management is that AMD executives seem to be well-connected to the Arab world. You know the saying..., who you know can be more important than what you know.

Now as a consumer, I would definitely want to see all 3 players, AMD, Intel, NV, stay competitive. Intel has the deepest pocket. NV also has cash but nowhere as deep as Intel. AMD has a tons of debt but they also have access to Arab money that we don't know about.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Intel has been mentioned but does anyone think the emergence of the Lucid hydra chip had any bearing on this decision?

I know Lucid Hydra will be replacing Nforce200 chip on MSI P55 mobo called "Big Bang".

(Too bad Nvidia is trying to block some of Lucid Hydra capability by disabling PhysX whenever an ATI card is being used simultaneously)

shangshang

May 17, 2008
...and Intel can always resort to paying board makers and OEM not to use NV chipsets... just like how NV is paying some developers to disable AA when ATI card is detected.

it's actually quite amusing this whole thing... I guess bad karma for NV

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: shangshang
...and Intel can always resort to paying board makers and OEM not to use NV chipsets... just like how NV is paying some developers to disable AA when ATI card is detected.

it's actually quite amusing this whole thing... I guess bad karma for NV
Just like Intel pays OEMs to not use AMD chips!