Nvidia drops out of chipset business

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Wreckage

If NVIDIA has the high road and Intel takes the low road, that leave ATI the no road at all.

you forgot the middle road

Equ1n0x

Oct 9, 2009
Originally posted by: OCguy

Isn't Intel working on this right now? They may never have something to compete in the high-end, but as well all know, the "high-end" is a niche.

They've been working on it for over 5 years, and the best anyone has seen was a system no one could see inside of that ran ray-tracing badly (artifacts, etc.). Intel has completely missed the GPGPU boat, and by the time they finally get on it, ATI/NVidia/Their Dog will have made new innovations that make whatever they produce irrelevant again.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: thilanliyan
As long as there are at least 2 competitors in the GPU (or CPU for that matter) market, I don't care who gets bought out by who.

Yeah, a battle royal between Matrox and XGI would be awesome. :D

Equ1n0x

Oct 9, 2009
Originally posted by: Genx87

Intel doesnt need anything to compete with AMD on the graphics side of things. You ever look at the volume of low end garbage that ships with an Intel integrated chipset? There is a reason why Intel has nearly 70% of the overall graphics market. People dont need discrete graphics to cruise the internet and write a resume.

They will soon. Encoding, rendering HD Flash, etc. will soon be moving to the GPU. In some cases, it's 6 times faster to encode on the GPU. There are a ton of other applications that are on the way. People may need it as the internet continues to rely on CPU bogging flash.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Originally posted by: Schmide
Hay. Didn't Novafora (company that bought Transmeta) just go out of business in early August? I'm sure nVidia could buy some of the IP to get an x86 license.

I believe all x86 licenses are not transferable. Nvidia bought Via and the rumor was they would get an x86 license because of it. The other rumor was Nvidia buying AMD and getting an x86 license.

How could a company that's worth less than AMD's debt buy them out?

That being said I still don't see how people still have the AMD dooms day thing going. There better positioned now then they have been in like 2-3 years.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Rezist

That being said I still don't see how people still have the AMD dooms day thing going. There better positioned now then they have been in like 2-3 years.

As long as you ignore your first sentence about all of their debt.

They also had more marketshare 3 years ago.

Not sure what is really better :confused:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
They have the fastest single card still, I dont think they are doing too bad.

Isn't Intel working on this right now? They may never have something to compete in the high-end, but as well all know, the "high-end" is a niche.

Gotta love the double standard :laugh:

If NVIDIA has the high road and Intel takes the low road, that leave ATI the no road at all.

:cookie: I really have to give it to you Wreckage. Just when I have the lowest possible amount of respect for you, you have to go ahead and prove "hey wait, i actually got more fecal matter to smear across a few thousand pixels of your screen. "

Day after day goes by when i enjoy reading a thread and all of a sudden bam! Another thread falls useless and ruined by either you or the people like me who feel compelled to bring to attention that you are in fact a troll who likes to stir up trouble.

See buddy, I like many people here come to these forum pages to gather and disscuss facts about video cards and share experiences. I do this hoping to obtain myself and spread to others good fortune while gaming.

As a completely neutral purchaser and enthusiast, I buy from whomever (AMD, nVidia, Intel, Asus, BFG, Sapphire, you name it) has the best product for my needs. I have owned every top end card all the way back to the first 3d accelerators, and most generations I'ved owned the best of each.

I still have most of the ones that wowed me the most :D.

Not that I'm trying to spout off how I'm the man over here, but i really would like to see you try and be a little less fanboiant and start becoming a more respected member around here.

ON TOPIC, I'm not surprised to see Nvidia chipsets go away. It's their own fault for making Sli licensing a PITA.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Is this move considered part of that 'open a can of whoop ass' statement?

At the time I thought those statements were so out of sinc - that it indicated problems coming. Must admit I thought maybe they would be caught in some stock scandal, not the total meltdown that seems to be happening. Maybe they were hoping those statements would help push amd bankrupt.

The graphics market is definitely shrinking, so lets hope dx11 creates demand.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
This is very bad news. I loved my Nforce4, Nforce3 and Nforce2 motherboards :(

Competition is always good in the market. But even I have to admit. Once I moved to the core 2 duo I havent had an Nvidia chipset in a single computer I have built. With the direction of bringing more and more on the cpu die. There is less and less of a compelling reason to purchase based on chipset in my eyes.

I have used other motherboards which don't use Nvidia Chipsets but have always come back to Nvidia because their chipsets offered the best performance and reliability.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This is very bad news. I loved my Nforce4, Nforce3 and Nforce2 motherboards :(

Competition is always good in the market. But even I have to admit. Once I moved to the core 2 duo I havent had an Nvidia chipset in a single computer I have built. With the direction of bringing more and more on the cpu die. There is less and less of a compelling reason to purchase based on chipset in my eyes.

I have used other motherboards which don't use Nvidia Chipsets but have always come back to Nvidia because their chipsets offered the best performance and reliability.

Is this a joke post ? Nvidia's mb chipsets were terrible compared to Intel's.. 680/780 etc.. were crap.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Larrabee will come out and crossfire will suddenly stop working on Intel chipsets.....

that is a legitimate fear.

Maybe nvidia will end up buying amd so that they can compete head on with intel. We might have to change the name of a few sites, however; AMDslizone?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
Larrabee will come out and crossfire will suddenly stop working on Intel chipsets.....

Maybe nvidia will end up buying amd so that they can compete head on with intel. We might have to change the name of a few sites, however; AMDslizone?

If that happened you'd see Wreckage on Intel forums telling them how great Eyefinity is and how you can't get that with Intel's parts. :D

ChaosDivine

May 23, 2008
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Intel doesn't pay NVIDIA for SLI either. Motherboard manufacturers pay NVIDIA for their motherboards to be 'certified' SLI. Although, IIRC a number of X58 that weren't certified actually are SLI compatible, they just don't come with a bridge or the SLI logo.
Yep. Like the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, which now has SLi enabled anyway through a BIOS update.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I can't for the life of me figure out which combination of drugs some folks are taking when they promote the idea that nVidia will buy AMD.

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
I can't for the life of me figure out which combination of drugs some folks are taking when they promote the idea that nVidia will buy AMD.

Any combo of expired drugs will do. :p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Rezist
Originally posted by: Schmide
Hay. Didn't Novafora (company that bought Transmeta) just go out of business in early August? I'm sure nVidia could buy some of the IP to get an x86 license.

I believe all x86 licenses are not transferable. Nvidia bought Via and the rumor was they would get an x86 license because of it. The other rumor was Nvidia buying AMD and getting an x86 license.

Nvidia at the time of the rumor had a market cap of about 10 billion while AMD was about 4 billion. I dont know what their situation is now. That said Nvidia continues to generate profit and if the scenario played out would most likely either liquidate ATI or sell off the name and keep the CPU business.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

Nobody will buy AMD they are far too deep in debt. I think they owe between $6-8 billion while the company is worth between $2-3 billion. Most likely they are headed to bankruptcy after which their assets will be liquidated. It's really sad that they have fallen so far.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: allies
Originally posted by: munky
This puts the AMD fans in a pickle. They are defending the very company that may put AMD out of business (being taken over is much more likely) just to put down nV?

The graphics division, even if it starts making money, will not keep that company afloat. They need to start making some CPUs that people actually want to buy, or who knows what they will be called 3 years from now? IBM?

They (AMD) actually do make cpu's people want to buy. The kinda people who aren't interested in shelling out $200 on a cpu. In particular, the PhenomII X3 720 and the new cheap quad-core AthlonII's.

Also, Intel has absolutely nothing to compete with AMD in the graphics market. Even AMD's integrated graphics trounces Intel's.

I can pick up an E series Core 2 Duo for sub 200 that blows the doors off most anything AMD has right now. AMDs market has shrunk big time, especially among gamers.

They simply havent brought anything compelling to the table in nearly half a decade.

Intel doesnt need anything to compete with AMD on the graphics side of things. You ever look at the volume of low end garbage that ships with an Intel integrated chipset? There is a reason why Intel has nearly 70% of the overall graphics market. People dont need discrete graphics to cruise the internet and write a resume.

Pick a side and stay on it.

You do realize I am talking about two different markets right? I can write in crayon if you need me to.

Gamers != total market

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Equ1n0x

They will soon. Encoding, rendering HD Flash, etc. will soon be moving to the GPU. In some cases, it's 6 times faster to encode on the GPU. There are a ton of other applications that are on the way. People may need it as the internet continues to rely on CPU bogging flash.

I suspect by the time any of that happens Larrabee will be out.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Originally posted by: Creig
Nvidia Halts Development of Core-Logic Sets.

Nvidia to Stop Investing into Future Chipsets

[10/07/2009 12:39 PM]
by Anton Shilov

Nvidia Corp. on Wednesday officially confirmed what was obvious long ago: it would stop development of its chipsets, which were quite popular several years ago. Due to unclear future of Nvidia?s positions on Advanced Micro Devices? and Intel Corp.?s platforms, the company does not want to continue spending on designing such chips. In addition, the company accused Intel of unfair behavior.

?We have said that we will continue to innovate integrated solutions for Intel's FSB architecture. We firmly believe that this market has a long healthy life ahead. But because of Intel's improper claims to customers and the market that we aren't licensed to the new DMI bus and its unfair business tactics, it is effectively impossible for us to market chipsets for future CPUs. So, until we resolve this matter in court next year, we'll postpone further chipset investments,? said Robert Sherbin, a spokesperson for Nvidia, reports PC Magazine.

Starting next year Nvidia will not be able to sell chipsets for AMD Opteron microprocessors, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series processors with or without integrated graphics, next-generation Intel Atom chips code-named Pineview and so on. As a result, it is not surprising that Nvidia is halting its investments into research and development of chipsets.

Core-logic business is still very important for Nvidia. In the second quarter of its fiscal 2010, chipset business accounted for 31% of Nvidia?s revenue, up 27% quarter-over-quarter. The lion?s share of Nvidia?s chipsets featuring built-in GeForce graphics core, hence, the company risks losing market share as soon as Intel and AMD release microprocessors with integrated graphics cores.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/m...f_Core_Logic_Sets.html

I wonder if this has do with their strategy in making their GT300 more CPU-like?

Is there a chance they could bypass the x86 instruction set by using just a GPU in one of the next consoles?

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
They have the fastest single card still, I dont think they are doing too bad.

Gotta love the double standard :laugh:

:cookie: I really have to give it to you Wreckage. Just when I have the lowest possible amount of respect for you, you have to go ahead and prove "hey wait, i actually got more fecal matter to smear across a few thousand pixels of your screen. "

Day after day goes by when i enjoy reading a thread and all of a sudden bam! Another thread falls useless and ruined by either you or the people like me who feel compelled to bring to attention that you are in fact a troll who likes to stir up trouble.

See buddy, I like many people here come to these forum pages to gather and disscuss facts about video cards and share experiences. I do this hoping to obtain myself and spread to others good fortune while gaming.

As a completely neutral purchaser and enthusiast, I buy from whomever (AMD, nVidia, Intel, Asus, BFG, Sapphire, you name it) has the best product for my needs. I have owned every top end card all the way back to the first 3d accelerators, and most generations I'ved owned the best of each.

I still have most of the ones that wowed me the most :D.

Not that I'm trying to spout off how I'm the man over here, but i really would like to see you try and be a little less fanboiant and start becoming a more respected member around here.

ON TOPIC, I'm not surprised to see Nvidia chipsets go away. It's their own fault for making Sli licensing a PITA.

Best post i've read in a while on these forums.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Day after day goes by when i enjoy reading a thread and all of a sudden bam!

Another personal attack against a forum member. I agree such things do ruin a thread. :thumbsdown:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

Day after day goes by when i enjoy reading a thread and all of a sudden bam!

Another personal attack against a forum member. I agree such things do ruin a thread. :thumbsdown:

How the crap is that a personal attack? It's a sum of your actions, which do define your character btw, but that's a different issue.

Please don't play victim as we are all victims of your FUD.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Xcobra
Originally posted by: dguy6789
*Plays Nvidia a sad song on the world's smallest violin*

You have to love the ATI fan hypocrisy. When AMD goes bankrupt you guys will have to find something new to fill that void in your life.

Intel is merely shoring up their monopoly. A monopoly that will be built on top of AMD's bones.

ATI fans will destroy their own company if it will hurt NVIDIA even a little. Havok is another prime example of this.

Siding with Intel against NVIDIA is like a mouse siding with a cat against a chipmunk.

At least the chipmunk knows to keep a distance.

The question is, can YOU be any more of a fanboy?

And how is it possible that he always gets a free card with this constant flamebaiting...?