nVidia blocks Hardware Unboxed due to rasterization focus. Update: nVidia retracts.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Full letter
unknown.png

LTT coverage

My thoughts

I think this is wrong and to be completely fair, I called out this behavior when AMD played similar shenanigans with TPU and Tech Report.

As for the "gamers" comment above, as of right now I don't give a crap about ray tracing, and even less of a crap about DLSS. I own a 2060 Super and never use any of those features by choice, for various reasons. Perhaps in 3-5 years with 2-3 new generations of cards, my opinion might change.

Rasterization is by far the most important feature for me, and I'm not a minority by any stretch of the imagination:

Survey.jpg

Update: nVidia now retracted

I'm not surprised they retracted but I expected it to take longer along with a "it was an internal draft that was never supposed to be released", or similar.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder if the initial email wasn't just a mistake. Even big corps make big mistakes. And with mistake I mean sent to the wrong site (which still makes it questionable). I wonder if HWUB talked to NV first before making this public. Using social media drama is fine if it can't be resolved directly and silently first.

MetalH2600

Dec 12, 2020
@MetalH2600 i rear all thread, and all i cab say, you do look like a bot hired by nvidia to defend their position in this case, as you only joined at forums yesterday? Coinsindence, i wonder.
Yes, i was also on Reddit explaining how my R9 280X don't crash on 2020 drivers yet my 5700 XT did too, correlation =/= causation.

As long as it fit's your narrative... yes?Untitledfsfd.png

Whilst i had my head in other areas, i was doing an enneagram to try and explain who and what i am to you as that's not something i can put down in a formal or simple way as i am far from simple or completely formal unfortunately for other people.

1w2 Anneagram.
Type One — The Enneagram Institute

INFJ Brigg Myers.

51bkOWsll0L.jpg39309ba23c8eef53cf57c88a995b00c9.png

Thank you for paying attention to me, i often don't seek it at all in the real world and am a very private person, if i were a bot, it may come from my ability to see through it all, i am still human and have faults, i hope you don't find yourself too perfect.

Last edited:

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
I think that if nvidias' goal in this was to get more focus on RT. Job done.
It can't be pleasant for them there watching their $1500 behemoth being bested and matched in raster performance at 1440p and below by something less than half it's price. They have to detract from that - or at least try to.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
In response to those calling hammer on box AMD biased: I do not recall anyone roasting AMD FX CPUs or Vega, harder than benchmark Steve did. People hear and read what they want to. The FX thing, has been a running joke in the comments section for years.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I do not recall anyone roasting AMD FX CPUs or Vega, harder than benchmark Steve did.
Or Steve being extremely vocal against AMD for their pricing strategy for the 6000 series, to the point of calling out AMD for bait and switch tactics. But we leave these out, because they don't reflect well with this constructed image of pro-AMD reviewer.

Probably the most hate-love relationship he has is with MSI: for someone who actively promotes their products he hammered them relentlessly for bad VRM designs on some fairly recent boards, and did not stop reminding MSI of the mess even after they launched better designs in response. HUB were also among the first to defend a less known reviewer against MSI for the exact same shenanigans we saw with Nvidia (MSI rep pressuring low profile reviewer to drop or change content in a review). Again, we push these aside since they don't fit the narrative.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Most people will never be aware that it happened or will have forgotten about it in a month from now. Besides, the only true sin Nvidia could ever commit in the eyes of the faithful is not having the top performing card.

Sure. Most people don't spend time in GPU specific forums following this stuff.

It will mostly impact them among the people who do participate. I am sure, this example will be used months, if not years from now as evidence that NVidia is a bad actor.

AMD vs Intel 2005 (Settled in favor of AMD for 1.25 Billion in 2009, and EU fined them another 1.45 Billion).

That was 10+ years ago, and this is still brought up all the time.

I had no doubt it would be reversed after the weekend, and it turned out sooner than that. As such it was a baffling boneheaded move. There was no chance this would stand, and it will be harming NVidia's reputation, for months/years into the future. It also taints them in the eyes of the tech press that reports on them.

This was an unbelievable epic fail on the part of the director of PR. It really makes me wonder if he is looking to get fired (he might get him more favorable severance package, than if he resigned).

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Sure that gets brought up, just like the floating point division bug in the original Pentium, but did it stop anyone from buying an Intel CPU unless they were a diehard AMD fan?

If people actually avoid buying Nvidia over this it's only because AMD is competitive with them again. I'm getting a Zen 3 for my next build, but it isn't because Intel is this awful company with a history of shady practices.

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
You failed to understand what i meant, i am not going to spend time reiterating my points to people who simplify and use comparatives to understand my point, you either can't comprehend what i say, or just want black and white thinking only. I don't think some posters here even intend to understand anything, just mirror and force one view, followers and sheep.

Good luck finding my alt account or whatever you intend to project on me, your defence is laughable that you automatically move to this.

The current belief, we must burn them at the stake if it goes against our religion!

You're new around here, so I'll put it plainly.

Multiple times in the past we have had people from or hired by Nvidia make accounts here to pretend to be normal users and post FUD.

If you want to be taken seriously with your brand new account, do your best to not look like one of them.

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
You're new around here, so I'll put it plainly.

Multiple times in the past we have had people from or hired by Nvidia make accounts here to pretend to be normal users and post FUD.

If you want to be taken seriously with your brand new account, do your best to not look like one of them.
That's right, new members must establish their credibility otherwise it just looks like damage control.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MetalH2600

Dec 12, 2020
Really, we have somehow verified, multiple times that paid NVidia employees/contractors were posting here?

I'd be curious to see that evidence.

If they have evidence then fair enough, but to me this place seems like an elitist redacted session in group form and excusing it by name calling anyone with a differing opinion or view as some bot or shill for a company.

Why should anyone be required to do anything for anyone on a forum? Treat people with respect... they are lucky i did not rip straight into them as i felt like doing so.

A bit of narcissism and thinking they can push others around, that's the view point i get.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: NIGELG and Glo.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Treat people with respect... they are lucky i did not rip straight into them as i felt like doing so.
This is the highlight of this thread, from this person.

Its absolutely beautiful :D

In one sentence call out for respect, for himself, but... showing no respect for others, at the same time :D.

No sorry. It was respectful.

He could've rip straight to them, after all! But he didn't!
A bit of narcissism and thinking they can push others around, that's the view point i get.
Summed himself perfectly, here...

MetalH2600

Dec 12, 2020
This is the highlight of this thread, from this person.

Its absolutely beautiful :D

In one sentence call out for respect, for himself, but... showing no respect for others, at the same time :D.

Summed himself perfectly, here...
So you think that being redacted to a person with a differing view is ok and should go completely dismissed and left alone?

I am glad you think it's normal behaviour.

Self control is choosing... you don't respect me, so don't expect any in return.

We have zero tolerance for profanity in the tech sub-forums.
Whether you stay or go, it applies to everyone.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So you think that being redacted to a person with a differing view is ok and should go completely dismissed and left alone?

Self control is choosing... you don't respect me, so don't expect any in return.

In no community on the planet are you allowed to join and immediately demand respect from established community members.

You earn it.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015

Don't expect that people will treat Bull**** with respect. That is the first thing.

This is a thread about Nvidia's attempt at steering narrative, in similar way Intel tried, with reviewers recently, but Nvidia did this in way more stupid way. WAY MORE. By showing the finger: "Obey, or else!".

That is the reason why everybody in industry is ripping them apart.

And yet. You came here trying to steer the discussion into the topic of... AMD drivers.

You do not show respect for others, by trying to sell your BS, don't expect that people will not find out that tonne of manure disguised as "reason", and treat you differently.

MetalH2600

Dec 12, 2020
Don't expect that people will treat Bull**** with respect. That is the first thing.

This is a thread about Nvidia's attempt at steering narrative, in similar way Intel tried, with reviewers recently, but Nvidia did this in way more stupid way. WAY MORE. By showing the finger: "Obey, or else!".

That is the reason why everybody in industry is ripping them apart.

And yet. You came here trying to steer the discussion into the topic of... AMD drivers.

You do not show respect for others, by trying to sell your BS, don't expect that people will not find out that tonne of manure disguised as "reason", and treat you differently.
Or it could just be the very real fact you are too stupid to comprehend anything i previously stated because you have internal biases that make you such a dunce to what i mentioned, then project that the new user is some bot or Nvidia shill without a lick of common sense in your brain.

Keep deluding yourself, it must feel good.

Go back and read my first few posts and the point being made.

It makes sense as a consumer, and i mentioned the political side don't matter to a consumer which most people are, you must be pretty stupid to not understand this.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Really, we have somehow verified, multiple times that paid NVidia employees/contractors were posting here?

I'd be curious to see that evidence.
This has absolutely happened here. I'm not suggesting that thats what's going on in this thread and its not on to accuse members of it without evidence but its happened before.

(Waits for quibbling about what counts as an employee or contractor)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MetalH2600

Dec 12, 2020
In no community on the planet are you allowed to join and immediately demand respect from established community members.

You earn it.
Then this is not a forum, it's a redacted of elitists who think they can control every new user, redacted, i am done here.

More profanity that isn't allowed here as well as a bad attitude towards others.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
This has absolutely happened here. I'm not suggesting that thats what's going on in this thread and its not on to accuse members of it without evidence but its happened before.

(Waits for quibbling about what counts as an employee or contractor)

Two incidents on the top of my head are Rollo and the time nvidia was caught contracting a predatory PR firm to plague the internet with fake "real users" shilling for nvidia and disparaging AMD/Radeon.