NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
I don't see gaming specific #s, let alone ones just for Pascal and not including Maxwell, GSync and other things.

Allow me to help you, good sir :)

Here is the CFO commentary provided by NVIDIA with the earnings release, it provides additional details about the business performance beyond the raw numbers:

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...2-B03F-1143992D45D9/Q2FY17_CFO_Commentary.pdf

Gaming platform revenue was $781 million, up 18 percent from a year ago, driven by Pascal™ gaming GPU sales across all regions.

While I do think GSync modules are a part of this revenue, it must be a very small part compared to Pascal GPUs, which were cited as the key driver.

NVIDIA clearly shipped a ton of Pascal GPUs last quarter, contradicting the rhetoric that NVIDIA wasn't able to build many of them.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Allow me to help you, good sir :)

Here is the CFO commentary provided by NVIDIA with the earnings release, it provides additional details about the business performance beyond the raw numbers:

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...2-B03F-1143992D45D9/Q2FY17_CFO_Commentary.pdf

While I do think GSync modules are a part of this revenue, it must be a very small part compared to Pascal GPUs, which were cited as the key driver.

NVIDIA clearly shipped a ton of Pascal GPUs last quarter, contradicting the rhetoric that NVIDIA wasn't able to build many of them.

I still don't see any Pascal vs Maxwell or whatever else might be classified as gaming. Was just hoping to see some actual #s is all. Anyway thanks again for the more relevant link

Reactions: Arachnotronic

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
They won't reveal actual sales numbers. But you can infer through the financial reporting. They would not be raking in these revenues if they had yield or supply problems. Clearly, the reason these cards are always out of stock is because demand is insane.

Reactions: xpea

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
GeForce is growing double-digits, I don't think there's much worry about the viability of this market. Only segment at risk is sales of OEM GPUs (a segment which was down last quarter), but this is a small part of NVIDIA's biz (and a low margin one too). The broad PC market weakness, coupled with AMD more aggressively going for these wins, is probably driving that decline.

There's definitely a lot to worry about for the PC desktop market as a whole, as evidenced by the fact that it has been on a downward trajectory for a number of years now. Currently this has primarily affected the low-end and mainstream parts of the desktop market, and the high-end (and thus gaming) part has been largely unaffected. The question then is if this crisis will start and stop with the low-end or if it will move on to the high-end with time, right now nobody knows.

It's also worth noting that Geforce growth may be more of a case of Nvidia conquering market share (since AMD has nothing to compete with at the high-end), and not a case of the market as a whole growing organically. The problem with this is of course that you can never go higher than 100% market share (a number that Nvidia is probably sitting very close to at the moment for the high-end).

Either way things may be perfectly fine for Nvidia in the long run (and by long run I mean more than just a few years) in this market, but it's far from a certain thing.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I buy cards, not chips.

If NV is going to sell me a 200mm2 chip for $500 and it competes with AMD's 400mm2 (imaginary numbers) and beats it. That's AMD's loss. Whichever of these two companies wants my money, well there is a sure way to get it. ;)

And I think I caved enough to buy the Acer Predator X34. Dat G-Sync tax is real! But I think I'll be done buying a monitor for at least two years. Haha.

Don't let someone in particular see this post. He might flip out and show you pages of graphs and spread sheets about how you're ruining your life and making horrible video card purchase decisions because die size should be the determining factor in price, unless the chip is slow in which case it should be performance as the determining factor, or perhaps what it's performance could possibly might maybe perhaps be two years from now. Either way you lose. ;)

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Assuming that Nvidia won the contract for the Nintendo NX, and assuming that the Nintendo NX will be launching this year, can we we expect revenue to start showing up in their next earnings report, and is this possibly the reason for the very high earnings estimate ($1.68B) for next quarter?

I'm guessing the NX doesn't go into volume production until January (or so) of 2017, since it's supposed to be a March release date. So it would probably be quarter ending in January of next year and on that will have noticeable NX-based revenue on it. I'm guessing it'll hurt margins by a small amount of give Tegra a noticeable boost in revenue.

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
I'm guessing the NX doesn't go into volume production until January (or so) of 2017, since it's supposed to be a March release date. So it would probably be quarter ending in January of next year and on that will have noticeable NX-based revenue on it. I'm guessing it'll hurt margins by a small amount of give Tegra a noticeable boost in revenue.

Ok, so in that case, the boost in earnings Nvidia is estimating for next quarter would have to be for some other reason, perhaps ramping up deliveries of DGX-1/P100?

The reason why I'm even speculating about this in the first place, is due to the fact that Nvidia is estimating an even bigger growth percentage for Q3 than what they just got for Q2 (an estimate of $1.68B for Q3 would be equal to Y/Y growth of 29% compared to Y/Y growth of 24% for Q2). So I would expect there to be some reason for the extra $60-65 million or so in estimated revenue, and a Nintendo NX contract seemed to fit that number quite nicely (in comparison AMD is estimating $40-55 million per quarter per design win from their console contracts).

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Don't let someone in particular see this post. He might flip out and show you pages of graphs and spread sheets about how you're ruining your life and making horrible video card purchase decisions because die size should be the determining factor in price, unless the chip is slow in which case it should be performance as the determining factor, or perhaps what it's performance could possibly might maybe perhaps be two years from now. Either way you lose. ;)

Mod gave me good advice to just avoid certain posts/bait. It's been helping ;)

I dunno how I went from "AMD AMD RAH RAH RAH" to dropping for a G-Sync Monitor + "Overpriced" GTX 1080 in basically one GPU-Generation/Cycle.

Oh well. I setup that bad boy last night and I'm sold on adaptive v-synch technology. Since my monitor is G-Sync, NV owns me until I buy a new monitor haha.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Ok, so in that case, the boost in earnings Nvidia is estimating for next quarter would have to be for some other reason, perhaps ramping up deliveries of DGX-1/P100?

The reason why I'm even speculating about this in the first place, is due to the fact that Nvidia is estimating an even bigger growth percentage for Q3 than what they just got for Q2 (an estimate of $1.68B for Q3 would be equal to Y/Y growth of 29% compared to Y/Y growth of 24% for Q2). So I would expect there to be some reason for the extra $60-65 million or so in estimated revenue, and a Nintendo NX contract seemed to fit that number quite nicely (in comparison AMD is estimating $40-55 million per quarter per design win from their console contracts).
They still haven't released their mobile 10xx variant, so i'm sure that'll add to their sales next quarter.

Mar 10, 2006
Mod gave me good advice to just avoid certain posts/bait. It's been helping ;)

I dunno how I went from "AMD AMD RAH RAH RAH" to dropping for a G-Sync Monitor + "Overpriced" GTX 1080 in basically one GPU-Generation/Cycle.

Oh well. I setup that bad boy last night and I'm sold on adaptive v-synch technology. Since my monitor is G-Sync, NV owns me until I buy a new monitor haha.

NVIDIA made products that suited your needs. It's strictly business. These companies need to fight for your money and it seems NVIDIA succeeded in getting it.