NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal 2017

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
http://seekingalpha.com/pr/16576666-nvidia-announces-financial-results-second-quarter-fiscal-2017

• Record revenue of $1.43 billion, up 24 percent from a year ago -- growth across all platforms
  • GAAP EPS of $0.40. Non-GAAP EPS of $0.53, up 56 percent from a year ago
  • Strong launch of Pascal-based GPUs, growing demand for deep learning
Clearly Nvidia is now resembling Intel in their dominance of the GPU market. Kudos to Nvidia on their execution. Unfortunately for us consumers the lack of strong competition in both the CPU and GPU market is not good in the long run.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Nvidia is a juggernaut. With that kind of money R&D will continue at a fast pace. That part is good for lovers of high tech stuff.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Nvidia has always been on the cutting edge of new Tech (Gsync, Physx, Shadowplay etc.) They may be a juggernaut but the consumer has reaped plenty of sweet benefits from all their R&D for sure.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Nvidia is a juggernaut. With that kind of money R&D will continue at a fast pace. That part is good for lovers of high tech stuff.

The only difference is the price that consumers have to pay for Nvidia GPUs. There was a time when you could get a GTX 580 which was the big die flagship for USD 500. Today a partially disabled GTX Titan X is USD 1200 or more. Certainly technology development has gotten more costly at advanced nodes but Nvidia has been able to gain market share across the board and also completely dominate high end desktop and notebook GPUs while also raising prices constantly. This shows in Nvidia's profits and gross margins. Thats why its good for Nvidia but bad for the consumer.

Mar 10, 2006
http://seekingalpha.com/pr/16576666-nvidia-announces-financial-results-second-quarter-fiscal-2017

• Record revenue of $1.43 billion, up 24 percent from a year ago -- growth across all platforms
  • GAAP EPS of $0.40. Non-GAAP EPS of $0.53, up 56 percent from a year ago
  • Strong launch of Pascal-based GPUs, growing demand for deep learning
Clearly Nvidia is now resembling Intel in their dominance of the GPU market. Kudos to Nvidia on their execution. Unfortunately for us consumers the lack of strong competition in both the CPU and GPU market is not good in the long run.

Holy crap, they are guiding to revenue of $1.68B for the next quarter...jeez.

I disagree with your worries about this being bad for the market. In order for NVIDIA to actually sustain/grow from here they will need to keep building products that people are interested in buying. This means putting the pedal to the metal on R&D and accelerating the pace of new product launches (see: GP102 coming just 2 months after GTX 1080 launched).

I think things only get better for people who want to buy NVIDIA GPUs.

Reactions: DooKey and Jaydip

xpea

Feb 14, 2014
All sections of their business is growing. So much for Pascal manufacturing issues... and as said Arachnotronic, next quarter guidance goes to the roof.
With Pascal mobile and GP107/108 coming, they are well prepared for breaking revenue records

Mar 10, 2006
All sections of their business is growing. So much for Pascal manufacturing issues... and as said Arachnotronic, next quarter guidance goes to the roof.
With Pascal mobile and GP107/108 coming, they are well prepared for breaking revenue records

Yep, anybody who said that NVIDIA was having yield/mfg issues has now been proven very wrong. They sold more product/took in more revenue than guidance and are guiding to a whopper of a quarter.

The 1070/1080/Titan X availability issues are due to monster demand, not poor supply.

Reactions: xpea

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I dont understand why people think pricing will remain the same?...that $500 performance is now half the price for double the performance.
NV kept their flagship at 500 for 3 generations of SKU

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I buy cards, not chips.

If NV is going to sell me a 200mm2 chip for $500 and it competes with AMD's 400mm2 (imaginary numbers) and beats it. That's AMD's loss. Whichever of these two companies wants my money, well there is a sure way to get it. ;)

And I think I caved enough to buy the Acer Predator X34. Dat G-Sync tax is real! But I think I'll be done buying a monitor for at least two years. Haha.

Reactions: Jaydip

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
NV is a beacon of hope in the dying PC market :D I am glad that they are doing good and it seems despite all these talks about inflated prices(I was also not happy with NV when they announced the price of 1080) are all forums talks after all and completely detached from reality.

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Assuming that Nvidia won the contract for the Nintendo NX, and assuming that the Nintendo NX will be launching this year, can we we expect revenue to start showing up in their next earnings report, and is this possibly the reason for the very high earnings estimate ($1.68B) for next quarter?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Welps, I'll be locked into the Nvidia monopoly for atleast two years. That Acer Predator X34 will be coming home with me tomorrow after work :D

EVGA just needs to ship my 1080 FTW Hybrid and I can break them both in with WoW: Legion! If I can't get buttery smooth performance at 3440x1440 with the 10 setting, I'm going to burn Nvidia HQ down (that is a joke, don't report me!)

Mar 10, 2006
Welps, I'll be locked into the Nvidia monopoly for atleast two years. That Acer Predator X34 will be coming home with me tomorrow after work :D

EVGA just needs to ship my 1080 FTW Hybrid and I can break them both in with WoW: Legion! If I can't get buttery smooth performance at 3440x1440 with the 10 setting, I'm going to burn Nvidia HQ down (that is a joke, don't report me!)

Kinda jealous. I love my XB270HU to death, but if selling monitors weren't such a PITA I would seriously consider dumping it and going with an X34. Congrats man.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Kinda jealous. I love my XB270HU to death, but if selling monitors weren't such a PITA I would seriously consider dumping it and going with an X34. Congrats man.
My previous monitor died, seemed it was a common issue with that brand, and Microcenter's warranty service basically gave me the full value I paid. Stupidly I bought the same brand (dat price!) and welps, that company is now bankrupt so repair parts are non-existent.

Microcenter wants too look at it (Bezel/frame is peeling off) and chances are they'll honor the warranty again. Whether they do or not, I'm still walking out of that store with the X34. About time I give my dying eyes something nice :D

Now, if only I could talk myself into a $1200 GPU :( Well, $1320 because I'd get the new EVGA Hybrid Kit which seems to work on Titan Xp.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
You will love the X34. The best thing about g-sync is that you don't need to get the bleeding edge card since the g-sync works so well. The only issues I have with the monitor is that if the table gets knocked the monitor shakes a bit on the stand and the menu buttons are really hard to read and use by feel. Especially compared to the ASUS SWIFT with its joystick method of interface.

I was able to overclock my panel to 95 hz. Anything above that would blank out. You may be able to get a better panel than mine, as others have been able to get the 100hz mark.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Nvidia stock is now $62. I remember their last earnings report some of us were saying at $43 it was overvalued and so didn't want to buy....well if $43 was overvalued, then hows 62??? and this is just the beginning... next quarter they'll prolly hit a homerun again and by then i'm sure it'll be 70 something. crazy. congrats to those who bought it in the $20s a few months back.

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Nvidia stock is now $62. I remember their last earnings report some of us were saying at $43 it was overvalued and so didn't want to buy....well if $43 was overvalued, then hows 62??? and this is just the beginning... next quarter they'll prolly hit a homerun again and by then i'm sure it'll be 70 something. crazy. congrats to those who bought it in the $20s a few months back.

Well, Nvidia stock is currently at a quite high P/E of 54.12, and there are some very real worries about the long term viability of the discrete desktop GPU market (which is currently Nvidia's biggest market).

If Nvidia can continue their pivot into non-gaming markets (Visualization, Datacenter and automobile) then the current high valuation may very well be justified (this last quarter saw great growth in those markets for what it's worth).

Mar 10, 2006
Well, Nvidia stock is currently at a quite high P/E of 54.12, and there are some very real worries about the long term viability of the discrete desktop GPU market (which is currently Nvidia's biggest market).

If Nvidia can continue their pivot into non-gaming markets (Visualization, Datacenter and automobile) then the current high valuation may very well be justified (this last quarter saw great growth in those markets for what it's worth).

GeForce is growing double-digits, I don't think there's much worry about the viability of this market. Only segment at risk is sales of OEM GPUs (a segment which was down last quarter), but this is a small part of NVIDIA's biz (and a low margin one too). The broad PC market weakness, coupled with AMD more aggressively going for these wins, is probably driving that decline.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Where were the unit sales figures for Pascal?

Have you seen your favorite company release like figures? You probably should stick to your favorite company forum.

Keep personal comments to yourself in the technical forums.
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 10, 2006
Wow, I'd love some Volta action next spring! Volta might give me 144hz gaming with max settings at 1440p. That would be awesome.

Titan X is close in many titles, but some other games still need more juice. Hope Volta comes ASAP because I could use the grunt.

Oh, and ASUS teased a 144hz 4K monitor at Computex, probably going to get that. Hope multi-GPU support improves because it'll prob take 2x Volta Titans to tame that resolution.