NVidia and AMD driver performance review [HardOCP]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Ding ding ding!

That's why I supported AMD with their Mantle initiative and glad to see we are finally getting DX12 / Vulkan games. Will be a few years before the benefits are truly there with better designed engines but at least it's progressing! Its amazing how well consoles run compared to many PC ports. Its laughable we have some indie games that run so bad as well. I'm sorry but your 2d side scroller shouldn't be hammering a $400+ video card :p

"Overpowered and underutilized" has been my slightly depressing tech' mantra for at least a decade now.

I've spent some time with assembly and I wouldn't suggest people go that far, but there is just so much software ~out there~ which doesn't appear to have reached 'optimization' stage of development; Let alone have the 'optimization' stage as a priority.

SirDinadan

Jul 11, 2016
boostclock.com
You do some great testing. It's a shame you're using an AMD FX processor instead of an i7 processor when testing GPU frame times. When comparing cards it's important to eliminate any bottleneck whatsoever.
Thanks!

Six months ago I needed a CPU that can handle the GTX1060 so I went for the FX - really didn't want to go Skylake as Kaby Lake was approaching fast. The total cost of the build was really pocket friendly - this was the main aspect of my purchase.

I do understand that some want to eliminate all bottlenecks that could hinder the performance of the GPUs, nothing wrong with that. In my view it's more interesting to find the infection point, what's the most conscious CPU - dGPU paring (diminishing returns). For that I definitely need to have more CPUs, mobos, etc to measure. Unfortunately, ATM I don't have the budget for that - and the view numbers didn't justify expanding the hardware pool.
For now I will work with what I have and see how things progress. And BTW, haven't noticed any frame time anomalies with the current FX build! ;)

Reactions: Madpacket

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Nvidia drivers the last few months have been driving me up the wall. First it was the folding issues, now Minecraft.

Of course the latter could be my two watercooled 1080s pouting with me mostly playing Minecraft on them... yeah I've got problems.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Identical settings and everything. Only difference is DX11 vs DX12. The benchmarks are much better, but the in game performance is even more amazing with 2X the FPS. That's a doubling of framerate in this game dude.

DX11
MIo4MUs.png

DX12
9B9lxOJ.png

DX11 (48fps)
1pbm2bl.jpg

DX12 (97fps)
eid4YDK.jpg
Your experience seems to be in line with Microsoft's findings.

Specifically this
data_minimum3.png

and this
data_maximum3.png

1440p seems to be the sweet-spot where the maximum gains from CPU-bound situations can be achieved. It also shows that in the future when you will have a GPU that is powerful enough to no longer be GPU-bound in 4K, DX12 will be even more important. Think Titan X Volta. This is not an unreasonable scenario because generational gains in the CPU front has been much less compared to the gains in the GPU front.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
Ding ding ding!

That's why I supported AMD with their Mantle initiative and glad to see we are finally getting DX12 / Vulkan games. Will be a few years before the benefits are truly there with better designed engines but at least it's progressing! Its amazing how well consoles run compared to many PC ports. Its laughable we have some indie games that run so bad as well. I'm sorry but your 2d side scroller shouldn't be hammering a $400+ video card :p

Imo, developers of 2D side scrollers shouldn't have to worry about hardware (unless maybe they're writing their own engine). If a $400 card can't run one well that's obviously an issue, but I don't think I've seen anything like that.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I can't because amd doesn't have a flagship gpu out yet to use with my 4k screen. But thanks for bragging about a game I really want to play.

Soon....

Reactions: moonbogg

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I can't because amd doesn't have a flagship gpu out yet to use with my 4k screen. But thanks for bragging about a game I really want to play.

Soon....

Sweet jeesus.this graphics card of yours?.i kid i kid.