nvidia Adaptive Vsync is pure marketing Bull !

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
You guys are being kinda tough about this. Adaptive vsync is useful for some people. I myself find it useless cause I think games are usually perfectly playable at 30fps, and If the framerate drops under that I need to lower settings or buy a new card. Other people apparently have super human eyeballs (or at least better than mine :p ) and claim that it becomes a huge handicap unless they're at as high a framerate as possible. Nvidia wanted to fix this through a bit of marketing magic. Yeah it kinda sucks to get the tearing, and if your game runs normal without adaptive vsync then maybe that is the problem. I just avoid it, and I wouldn't blame you if you did the same. It is unfortunate that you get the tearing and in my opinion, if turning adaptive vsync off fixes it then it's worth having off.

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
everyone but YOU seems to understand exactly what the point of it is but keep making yourself look silly. :rolleyes:

Why are you coming down on him? He's absolutely right, you shouldn't have screen tearing at all with adaptive vsync, and yet you clearly do.

There would be no point of having adaptive vsync if it capped your framerate AND didn't greatly reduce tearing, except maybe for the elimination of microstuttering in multigpu scenarios, or some tertiary non-game uses.

edit: to reiterate why: it's only double buffered vsync that affords the jarring factor of refresh step-down.

Last edited:

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
What's the difference between adaptive vsync and normal vsync that w/ triple buffering? That also does not cause the step down down to 30fps. I understand the there is a latency disadvantage, 1 frame, and the extra memory requirement, but that's it right?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Why are you coming down on him? He's absolutely right, you shouldn't have screen tearing at all with adaptive vsync, and yet you clearly do.

There would be no point of having adaptive vsync if it capped your framerate AND didn't greatly reduce tearing, except maybe for the elimination of microstuttering in multigpu scenarios, or some tertiary non-game uses.

edit: to reiterate why: it's only double buffered vsync that affords the jarring factor of refresh step-down.
so in other words you are just as clueless on the topic as he is?

What's the difference between adaptive vsync and normal vsync that w/ triple buffering? That also does not cause the step down down to 30fps. I understand the there is a latency disadvantage, 1 frame, and the extra memory requirement, but that's it right?

it is amazing how many times the same thing has to be explained over and over and over...

Last edited:

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
so in other words you are just as clueless on the topic as he is?

it is amazing how many times the same thing has to be explained over and over and over...

Dude please don't act like a jerk about this...

Triple vsync adds buffers when your card is working. You still get the step down, but it probably won't be as large as with vsync and no buffers. So it's the same as vsync except your card is buffering to squeeze a couple more frames in where it can. You do in cases have problems with what you mentioned, but the point of adaptive vsync is that vsync is supposed to be off entirely. It takes some resources, but nothing significant.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Oh yeah, adaptive vsync works perfectly fine on my sons machine with his GTX680.

OP might want to get a GPU actually capable of consistently exceeding the refresh rate in modern games (such as your son's ).

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The GPU GPS still shuts off Adapative Vsync when it leaves the US and goes to canada. I thought everyone knew this. It's on the box.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Most people like vsync because it keep the frame rate LOCKED to your monitors refreshrate therfore insuring smooth gameplay and IQ with no image tearing.

No it doesn't. It keeps the framerate from going ABOVE the refreshrate, but not from going BELOW.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012

Nvidia adaptive vsync is simply a one click option to cap the FPS at your monitors refresh rate. The exact same method could be gained by leaving vsync off and setting an FPS cap. The benefit with Nvidia is that you don't need to mess around with 3rd party tools to achieve this. It is an option directly in the GPU CP. I personally think it is a nice feature and such a simple yet effective solution. It isn't earth shattering or anything, but it is a very welcome standard feature.

It isn't for everyone as it does still get tearing at lower FPS but is vastly reduced compared to the tearing that occurs over the monitor's refresh rate. If you want perfect tear free gaming then you need to use the traditional normal vsync with triple buffering option.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I understand what the OP is saying. VSync isn't really good if the FPS is going to drop below the screens refresh rate. We were lead to believe that Adaptive VSync would give us the best of both worlds, as it would stop screen tearing and allow max FPS below the refresh rate instead of performance tanking. The part they don't mention is you will have screen tearing when it switches off below the refresh rate. So, it's choosing between lower framerates or screen tearing. I don't think they quite market it that way.

Adaptive VSync! Now you can have capped framerates and screen tearing, "The way it's meant to be Played".

Doesn't really seem like that great of a selling point when worded like that. ;)

As far as people being hostile towards the OP goes, he's not being rude or hostile. He made a post that to him showed a problem with Adaptive VSync. Again, nowhere in the marketing does it mention you will have screen tearing when you use it. It makes sense that you do, and that could just be pointed out, but there's no reason for us to attack him. It's a legit post. He's provided evidence to back it up, which is a lot more than I can say for some long time posters here, never mind a new poster.

OP, here's the bottom line. For the best gameplay experience use VSync, or Adaptive VSync, and adjust your settings so the FPS don't drop below the refresh rate of your screen. It's OK if it drops a frame or two in a few spots, but if you are dropping below the refresh rate enough that gameplay is suffering, you need to reduce settings. As much as marketing would like to make us believe that Adaptive ASync eliminates problems with FPS dropping below the screen refresh rate, it's only a different solution to standard VSync, not a true fix.

I also agree with the OP that occasionally dropping to 30fps, but still being sync'd with the screens refresh rate is better than screen tearing. Dropping below it too much though means you have your game settings too high.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Actual gaming web sites have reviewed this feature. It's not hard to show something in a bad light if you set out to undermine. Even worse to announce something is BS, spewing propaganda and then ignoring all back and forth discussion and attempt at enlightenment.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/3
Adaptive VSync

We've tried to show you Adaptive VSync in action the best we can with the tools we have. There is only so much you can show in a graph. Adaptive VSync is a gameplay experience technology that doesn't come across in a table or a graph as clearly as it does when you the gamer are sitting in front of the display. The best way to experience the technology is the direct hands on approach, and unfortunately we just can't present that to you here. The best we can do is tell you how great it is, and use the data we've accumulated to show you the graphs as we did on the previous page.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
There is also the option for half the refresh rate in Adaptive Vsync in the control panel.
Basically giving you Vsync but with a cap of 30fps (if your monitor uses 60hz as default).
If you have a weaker GPU this might be a good option for you.

AdaptiveV.jpg

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Indeed! And in nVinspector there is flexibility for 1/4 and 1/3 the refresh rate, which may come in handy for 120hz screens!

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Nvidia adaptive vsync is simply a one click option to cap the FPS at your monitors refresh rate. The exact same method could be gained by leaving vsync off and setting an FPS cap. The benefit with Nvidia is that you don't need to mess around with 3rd party tools to achieve this. It is an option directly in the GPU CP. I personally think it is a nice feature and such a simple yet effective solution. It isn't earth shattering or anything, but it is a very welcome standard feature.

You're completely incorrect. It is not a framerate cap. A framerate cap is entirely decoupled from the monitor refresh rate, and still subject to tearing. 60 fps v-sync does not equate to 60 fps no-vsync

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
You're completely incorrect. It is not a framerate cap. A framerate cap is entirely decoupled from the monitor refresh rate, and still subject to tearing. 60 fps v-sync does not equate to 60 fps no-vsync

You are correct, I should have chose my words more wisely.
With adaptive vsync if everything runs at 60FPS then you get normal vsync with no tearing. If it goes below that number it turns off vsync and leads to some tearing. If you set an FPS cap and turn off vsync you will always get tearing.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You are correct, I should have chose my words more wisely.
With adaptive vsync if everything runs at 60FPS then you get normal vsync with no tearing. If it goes below that number it turns off vsync and leads to some tearing. If you set an FPS cap and turn off vsync you will always get tearing.

Right. It could lead to tearing, but not likely as tearing is usually a result of the GPU outputting frames faster than the refresh rate of the monitor, but does prevent that sudden jerky drop to 30fps as regular Vsync can do.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
I find adaptive Vsync to be a great feature. I don't like tearing, but if I can't maintain 120fps (I have a 120hz monitor) then IMO tearing becomes the lesser evil.

With adaptive Vsync, I can have as much FPS as possible, and if it goes over 120 (and only then) Vsync is enabled automatically.

If I didn't have the option for Adaptive Vsync, I'd probably just leave VSync disabled in most situations. So in my case at least adaptive VSync does give me an option to reduce tearing that I wouldn't otherwise have/use.

Status
Not open for further replies.