nVidia 3080 reviews thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Written:

Video:

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
My CX48 is wall mounted, keyboard is on the edge of the desk, so it's a little further than 90cm. Don't have to move my head at all.

That is WAY too close for me. I even find 1:1 (Viewing distance:diagonal) too close. My sweet spot for viewing screens is 1.2:1or greater. Anything closer than that and start turning my head.

You are at 0.74:1 which is fairly extreme. I would bet most people find that uncomfortable.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I would say these TVs are not ideal for competitive gameplay, but are unbeatable for immersion in singleplayer games. I use my 55" E8 from about 4 feet away and play a variety of games (FPS, RPG, RTS, racing, space sim). The OLED image quality and contrast destroys any LCD. For competitive gameplay, a smaller high refresh display is better, and you also want to turn down all graphics settings to minimum.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I would say these TVs are not ideal for competitive gameplay, but are unbeatable for immersion in singleplayer games. I use my 55" E8 from about 4 feet away and play a variety of games (FPS, RPG, RTS, racing, space sim). The OLED image quality and contrast destroys any LCD.
And I thought my Samsung 40" 4k VA type LCD TV was amazing for graphics in casual exploration in open world games. It's just a matter of time before I get a CX, probably the 48" one.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Any word on an Anandtech 3080 review? I know there was some hooplah with Ryan being as close to the fires as he was, but that threat has died down a bit at this point.

I figure we'll get a 3080/3070/deep dive combo review at this point.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Any word on an Anandtech 3080 review? I know there was some hooplah with Ryan being as close to the fires as he was, but that threat has died down a bit at this point.

I figure we'll get a 3080/3070/deep dive combo review at this point.
He said he hoped to have the architecture deep dive and the 3080 review done by 3090 review time

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
-While the culprit is likely the card, I wonder how many folks are slapping these things into old 400-600w PSU systems thinking it sipps power like the old 1080 did...
Possible cause?

Reactions: Tlh97 and Mopetar

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea, it sounds like the Founders Edition is the way to go... a fair amount of the AIB models got built slightly under power delivery/filtering spec requirements for the GPU; thus some ppl using boost clocks are experiencing issues.

The issue is likely related to the capacitors installed at the back of the GPU. In this generation (GeForce RTX 30), this is actually very easy to see as the most manufacturers did not cover this area with a backplate. There are six necessary bottom capacitors that are responsible for filtering NVVDD/MSVDD GPU voltages. The better the filtering the less likely the card is to encounter issues at high frequencies (ie factory-overclocking).

These cards will likely need a vBIOS flash that brings the boost clocks down. Either that or replacement PCB's, but don't hold your breath there.

Reactions: bigi

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Yea, it sounds like the Founders Edition is the way to go... a fair amount of the AIB models got built slightly under power delivery/filtering spec requirements for the GPU; thus some ppl using boost clocks are experiencing issues.

These cards will likely need a vBIOS flash that brings the boost clocks down. Either that or replacement PCB's, but don't hold your breath there.

It looks like the Asus design was even better than FE, for the capacitors.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, some of the AIB's cards spared no expense and their PCB has a full array of the better caps--meaning there will be less electrical noise and a more reliable power stream to the GPU (to support higher clocks).

I forget who said it but if you've got a setup, where the GPUboost conditions aren't met, then you're actually at less risk of crashing. Makes perfect sense. A lot of cards seem to teeter right on the edge of the stability threshold.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010

What an absolute mess. Between the 3090's abhorrent performance increase over the 3080, the extremely limited stock, and the fact that these cards are so extremely power-hungry that trusted AIBs are struggling to even build up the power delivery systems combine to form what is beginning to look like a botched launch in hindsight.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well, to be fair most of the AIB's have made statements about possible issues in their design (or at least acknowledged claims), which is the right thing to do. Yes, they should have stayed on par with at least the reference spec provided by NVIDIA, but I feel like supply/demand for components may have played a role here. It was a bit comical to see multiple electronics engineers chime in with their .02; basically reiterate the point to death that the caps on some boards were going to cause issues. It's pretty concrete evidence at this point that that is where the crux of the problem lies.

It's another case of early adopters getting kind of screwed. We've seen it before; probably will again.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
New video from HWB. Long story short, according to their investigation the cap issue was a red herring and even 6 POScap board designs meet Nvidia's spec for non-oc cards. It came down to a driver issue and only in Windows, the Linux release driver never had any crashing issues and no updated Linux driver has been released. HWB tested the new driver and found margin of error decreases in clocks and power draw, the Linux driver has maintained the same boosting behavior since launch.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Curious as to why the FE card is 10-15 C cooler than all the partner boards at idle?

Anyone know why this is?

Possibly because the cooler is fairly large. GN noted that it took a while for it to actually get up to full temp, which is the sign of a cooler with a lot of mass.

Its also possible that the partner cards have higher core voltages.

Reactions: bigi

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
It could also be that with the fans off at idle, the short PCB on the FE allows much better convection though the cooler than the more restrictive AIB cards

Reactions: Mopetar

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Guess AT isn't going to bother doing a review of either card.

I wouldn't be surprised if the initial review was delayed enough due to the Oregon wildfires that the updates from NVidia came out before it was finished and they decided to scrap all of the old results and start fresh. Honestly I wouldn't care too much if they did use the old results. We already know how the card performs and I'm more interested in the in-depth examination of the architecture.

Maybe they'll just hold off on all of it until the 3070 drops and can be incorporated into one big review. Maybe they'll even throw in a 960 to compare with some older cards.

• Haha
Reactions: n0x1ous