nv4_disp.dll...infinite loop problem SOLVED!!

Think

Jan 7, 2002
I figured that I had everything set with my experience with this board, hardware and software that I could do a nice clean installation and partition my drives without a hitch....BUT NOOOO, we can put a man on the moon but can't have a pc that works without a hitch...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PRIOR to my re-installation, everything was working fine until something went amiss so I decided to do a clean install.

Original Problem:

Mad Onion 2001 plays for perfectly and then:

BLUE SCREEN giving me that infinite loop error, nV_4disp.dll error

So, I removed the 2.3.1.2 certified XP drivers and put in the ones that original worked; the 22.80. No luck...same problem.

No overclocking
CPU temps are fine as always
Experimented with more conservative memory settings to no avail. Did a memory test on my Mushkin RAM and it passed.

Question:

I know it's a common problem with many systems, but I am curious on what solutions you have come up with?

PS: Fast Writed disabled, tried various aperture sizes, disabled com ports that are not in use and I have no conflicts:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 5 NVIDIA GeForce3 OK
IRQ 7 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) OK
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 Windows XP Promise FastTrak100 (tm) Controller (PDC20265) OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

Problem solved!

I was experimenting with different memory values in bios without any success but finally removed one of the 512MB DDR 2100 from the board. It worked perfectly!

Mad Onion 2001 played in a continous loop for well over 2hours without a hitch, scoring 7989 without overclocking my CPU or my video card.

I proceeded to install a few games, Half Life and DeuceX without any problems!

I decided to switch DIMMS to see it the second one was defective, but it worked perfectly as well.

I decided to install the second DIMM in slot #3..AND IT WORKED TO MY SURPRISE:Q

Question

WHY?

Could it be that by playing Mad Onion on the 1 DIMM successfully for over 2hours, that WindowsXP may have adjusted itself to accomondate the task?

Could it be that the 1st and 2nd slot conflict? Which doesn't make sense because prior to re-installing WindowsXP on the exact same hardware conditions, I had both DIMMS in slot 1 and 2 without any problems.

This is insane!!! but it is resolved.

Think

Jan 7, 2002
Don't jinks me:)!!!

I'm holding my breath on this. If it fails, i'll RMA the ram and get AMD approved, registered ram. I don't overclock and would rather sacrifice a bit of performance vs. stability.

Strawberrymom

Banned
Dec 24, 2000
i have only noticed the error after updating video drivers.

ie had 21.83 and tried a beta and after updating only way to fix was reformationg.

same with other versions

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I `ve had it once with the 23.11 drivers but none so far with the 23.12 drivers,it seems that trying different things work for some people while the rest have the Nvidia loop error alot or none at all.My friends that also have Nvidia cards have had no Nvidia loop errors so far.

nj

Mar 15, 2001
Here's my Infinite Loop experience with Det XP's on a BH6 + P3 900 + Winxp:

21.83: Fine, 100% stable, system overclocked to the max
23.11: Massive lockups in 2d/3d. Major tweaking needed to get 2d working. 3d locks up within 5 seconds even when system at default settings.
23.12: 2d back to 100% stable, 3d still lockups
27.00: 3d stable even with minor memory tweaks (cas2), not stable with overclock
27.10: 3d stable but can't use cas2
27.20: 3d not stable at all, back to locking up within 5 seconds. 2d locks up every once in awhile.
27.30: 3d stable, 2d stable, minor overclocks back!

I'd just go back to 21.83's if I could, but once I installed 23.11 every det. would lockup after that. And I *REALLY* should have stuck with 27.00's, but I heard a lot of good things about 27.20's and decided to try them out. Now all previous det's lock up again.

I don't really understand what's wrong. I've tried just about everything. I think I'm going to re-format and use Win2k Pro+21.83's and never change again. I'm really sorry I ever tried 23.11's or 27.20's now.

EDIT: Woo! 27.30's fixed my loop problem! I can run at cas 2 and so far so good with stability. The performance is sub-par compared to even 27.00's, but I really don't care at this point.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<< dont jinx me! >>

LOL!! :D :D

jk

neways dont the 23.12 WHQL drivers fix this? what about 27.00, .10, .30 and whatnot?

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<<

<< dont jinx me! >>

LOL!! :D :D

jk

neways dont the 23.12 WHQL drivers fix this? what about 27.00, .10, .30 and whatnot?
>>

None of the Det's fix it for everyone, we're still waiting on a solid fix that consistently works. Everyone seems to have varying success with different revisions.

My own experience with the DetXP's:
21.81: 99% solid under 2D and 3D, I recieved the infinite loop error only once in a few weeks of using them.
21.83: Solid under 2D, 95% stable under 3D after a bit of tweaking.
21.85: Stable under 2D, infinite loop error under 3D.
22.50: infinite loop error within 1 minute of bootup
22.80: infinite loop error within 1 minute of bootup
23.11: Wouldnt give me anymore then 8 colors at 640x480
23.12: Wouldnt give me anymore then 8 colors at 640x480
27.10: Totally solid under 2D and 3D.
27.20: Stable under 2D, only stable under 3D if I drop the memory timings.

Personally I've found the 27.10's the best, with the 21.81's a close second.

Think

Jan 7, 2002
So far so good. Half Life, DeucX, and Mad Onion 2001(on a continous loop for 2 hours) without failure:)

My Guess

The possible reason for the problem with DIMM slots 1 and 2 could be that they are mapped to the same controll arbiter, originally, the AMD 761 supported only 2 DIMM slots and depending on how the individual banks are mapped internally (either 1+2 / 3 or 1 / 2+3 depending on the manufacturer) there is more overlap which causes the problems.

Using 27.20 with no Via or AMD patch/drivers at all.

TechDaddy

Jun 29, 2001
Hi there.

It seems that this "bug" doesn't appear on everybodies PC and there were different things to solve that problem. I experienced it a couple of times, especially when exiting 2 certain games (Anstoss 3, Sacrifice) or scenes within these.

As a matter of fact programming drivers is a business of high complexity - and programming 3D video drivers also *isn't* trivial for sure! Regarding lots of mor or less huge applications, games, tools and gimmicks with lots of different tasks to perform drawing anywhat on your screen in a split second: isn't it a wonder that all this works at all on so many different Computers?

And whenever there has been a certain and reproducable behavior of a "bug" in the past they found a solution. This time it seems as if no one could grab the problem ....

Last, be honest, doesn't mostly everything work fine at the moment? I have done a complete uninstall of my drivers, removed all of the remaining .inf and nv*.* files and the reg-keys, then I rebooted my tin and installed the 2.3.1.2.s 3 weeks ago. No more issues so far.

PCFreak

Dec 18, 1999
I don't know if this is related but probably is the same thing my Diablo II Crashes constantly and I get an Exception error and it's always that dam dll file or some other file related to Direct 3D error. I'm using Windows XP with a GF3.

gunf1ghter

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
I was also having an infrequent problem with the nv4_disp.dll loop. It only started happening on my system when I loaded XP.

Tried many different releases of drivers... played with other stuff.

Finally found the problem.... lowering my crucial ram from 2-2-2 memory timings to 3-2-2 timings fixed the problem.

The only thing I can figure out is that the system is so maxed when running on XP with DX8 and newer drivers is that any weakness will bluescreen the system.

Epsil0n00

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
I am running XP Pro, a VisionTek GF3Ti-200 with the Det. 27.50 drivers and getting lockups and nv4_disp.dll errors in D3D games like Unreal Tournament. I tried intalling the VIA 4-in-1s but that didn't help... I tried turning off the precaching feature in UT, but that didn't help. i really hope that this problem doesn't piss me off like I know it will... :)

Do you think that the memory timings really have something to do with it all? Where can you DL a memory testing program?
Thanks.
Epsil0n

Epsil0n00

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
Tried some other things, which didn't work, but as soon as I backed down to Det. driver version 23.12 everything appears to be working fine for now...

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of those damn 4in1 drivers and get the resolution issue fixed. Lets pray to Jesus that my computer stops crashing. Good luck for those still having issues! I found the website: www.geforefaqs.com and viaareana.com to be really hlepful.

Thanks for the help and info Guys!

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

<< I don't know if this is related but probably is the same thing my Diablo II Crashes constantly and I get an Exception error and it's always that dam dll file or some other file related to Direct 3D error. I'm using Windows XP with a GF3. >>

No way! That's a totally unrelated problem. Diablo II is the buggies piece of software (not named Windows) released! Blizzard North really can't code for sh!t! There are so many problems with that game, it's not even funny.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
that infinite loop thing is sure strange.. after installing a bad sound driver that messed up my counter-strike setup (had the lag problem that people were having with win xp), i decided to use a ghost image i had (ghosted right after installing my essentials/patches/updates without games).. after that, i got alot of random reboots which is a symptom of infinite loop.. dont know why, since it's basically the same setup as i had before installing my games..

anyways, installed the latest nvmax that supposedly has a infinite loop fix.. seems to be working.. then again, it's only been a day since i installed it.. :)

good to hear your system is working though Think.. that bug sure can be annoying..

2cool4u

Sep 19, 2001
this is nuts, i was just about ot post a topic on this because earlier today i was using Worldcraft 3.3 for the first time.. i made my frist CS map :) how exciting. ANyway, everything was fine and teh second time i went into worldcraft and started to make another one, i got teh infamous nv4_disp error. Thought i had it figured out but changing drivers has not worked, updating my 4 in1 drivers didn't work, deleted directx 8 and reinstalled and it still happens. This is the only thing that makes this error occur, but i really want to use this program. I'm going to try switching dimms later maybe that iwll work, i only have a stick of 512 anyway. i'll update later when i do it. Thanks for the idea Think.

2cool4u

Sep 19, 2001
okay i think i got it working, I just uninstalled teh drivers and used detonator destroyer to completely remove them, then i installed teh 27.7 from http://www.guru3d.com...SO far everything is working fine, i haven't locked up in worldcraft yet :). Good luck to all with this problem

Epsil0n00

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001

<< then i installed teh 27.7 from http://www.guru3d.com...SO far everything is working fine >>

That is so strange... many people find the problem to go away after updating to the most current drivers, and then many other people find that it goes away after downgrading their drivers (like me). It makes no sense why that would be the case... This problem really should be resolved--its really irritating! Well, good luck to those still having issues<-- you have my full symapthy. :(

Epsil0n

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Hmm, interesting. THis problem, like some others has said, varies so much from one machine to another, that it is very weird.

2cool4u

Sep 19, 2001
weird and it sucks because you can't just look at what someone else did to fix it, you have to figure out a way on you own :(. I'm just glad i'm one of the lucky few who doesn't get an error while on CS :)

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
There is a thread over at Via Arena forums, and one guy there reckoned the error is a power problem. Huge discussion on it...if you want, I"ll see if I can find the thread, it seemed to make a lotta sense.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
27.42 was the only one that really fixed the loop for my system(s). I only loop now when I o/c too much (like anything past 230/520 on my ti200, which isnt a bad O/C by any means)