NV 4060 / 4060TI reviews

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
I think Nvidia card owners don't LOOK for issues like texture pop in and reduced texture quality etc. They don't want to feel bad about their purchase. What are they gonna do? Get on some forum and say how Nvidia ripped them off and they would have been better off with AMD cards which they have never experienced and may never want to?

• Haha
Reactions: Dannar26 and DooKey

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It makes texture pop in issues even worse. If you have half the bandwidth, you'll be waiting twice as long for textures to stream in- so it's especially problematic if you didn't have enough VRAM to begin with.

I would say that the issue is more latency than bandwidth. But I don't know how or if the number of lanes makes a difference. It would be interesting to see if the texture poppin would be better on the 3060 Ti, esp the GDDR6X version.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Are you really resorting to childish insults?

Price level for what? Again what it comes down to is more Raster performance at the price level.

But worse RT performance, worse AI performance, worse application performance, worse encoder performance.

I know the AMD fanboys like to paint everyone that buys NVidia cards as an idiot because they didn't buy the cheaper AMD card, but that entirely discounts the extras NVidia offers.
Roll those eyes again Karen. WTF does AI performance, application performance, and encoder performance have to do with my post?

Also man wish I was getting a check for constantly pointing out online how AMD sucks less than Nvidia on pretty much every level other than the very top of the product stack with the 4090. At least for gaming.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Roll those eyes again Karen. WTF does AI performance, application performance, and encoder performance have to do with my post?

AI makes DLSS work. Ever here about game streaming, that is where encoder comes in for gaming.

There are many reasons (features) most people still buy NVidia GPUs despite AMD being cheaper at raster only performance.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Pretty wild how Nvidia has managed to have only two cards that make sense as a purchase this gen; the 4090 and 4070ti.

I’m sure they’re all selling though, but those are the only two I think are worth it. In Canada all the 4090s are about $100-$200 less than they were a month or two ago. So they are dropping prices slightly on them. I haven’t seen an official price drop announcement, but all the 4090s are getting cheaper on Newegg here.

Reactions: psolord

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I disagree that the 4070 Ti makes sense with only 12 GB. The 4070 makes more sense, as it is way cheaper (and is cheaper per FPS), which makes the low VRAM a lot less bad.
This is how Nvidia beats gamers. Everything you said is correct. But it is also a perfect example of - Thanks, I hate it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It's little misleading and pointless to just say it gets half the PCI bandwidth (which is rather obvious with half the lanes) but what does it actually lose in game performance? 10%? 5%? Probably close to the latter.

Naturally those complaining about 8x PCIe now, can show your posts complaining about the 8X PCIe on the 6600 XT 8X PCIe for the same thing when it was released, back in 2021, when there were a lot less PCIe 4.0 MBs in the installed base?

I thought so.
6600XT suffers from the same problems in today's market as the 4060 Ti, namely gimped PCIe, 128 bit memory bus, and 8GB vRAM limit. Unlike the 4060 Ti it launched at a time where these things didn't matter as much. It's also currently closer to $200 so the tradeoffs may be more palatable for some with more limited budgets. I still won't recommend it if 12GB is a viable alternative in the budget because all these 8GB cards are doomed to an unexpectedly early obsolescence due to vRAM limitations. You can't download more RAM (unlike my old Sapphire "4GB" RX480s).

This doesn't change the fact that 4060 Ti is poorly priced for the compromises involved, and per der8auer's point, the value calculation in NA is that a 3060 Ti is a more reasonable value for the gamer that must have nVidia as the performance when limited to a PCI 3.0 bus is similar and it has a cheaper total cost of ownership even accounting for higher power costs over 3 years. But I guess you could run DLSS3 with upscaled 720p and feel like you got what you paid a premium for if you must have copium?

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Here we have a prime example of Nvidia practically handing the reviewer a script. The pinned comment is hilariously bad too.

1080p Ultra in Cyberpunk, how is this much of an upgrade 2-4 years later? Even my 2060Super gets 58fps 1% low. $400 to get 82fps low? Why bother?

Edit: That pinned comment is funny though. Oh, sorry...we didn't test any games released in the last 6 months. Well maybe MW2 '22 and Spiderman. No, wait he's got the new Plague Tail game in there and Dying Light 2. So a couple of games released last year.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 20-30-06 GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Review Founders & Gigabyte Eagle Benchma...png

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The consensus seems to be that Nvidia is using silicon for AI stuff, not gaming. If you want a gaming chip, you will pay for it because they could get more margin from AI hardware using that same silicon. Nvidia can basically tell gamers "take it or leave it" and not care what happens because AI is floating them. Nvidia can treat gamers like garbage because they have no competition and they know gamers will still pay for a good gaming product if Nvidia decides to make one when AI hardware purchases slow down. This appears to all be true, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
6600XT suffers from the same problems in today's market as the 4060 Ti, namely gimped PCIe, 128 bit memory bus, and 8GB vRAM limit. Unlike the 4060 Ti it launched at a time where these things didn't matter as much. It's also currently closer to $200 so the tradeoffs may be more palatable for some with more limited budgets. I

I agree, the 8GB VRAM capacity is worse today, and I think the 4060 Ti is the worse card to launch this generation.

But I was only talking about the supposedly gimped 8X PCIe bus, that would have been a worse problem (if it's a problem) a couple of years ago when 6600 XT launched, because there would be MUCH less installed base of PCIe 4.0+ systems, so higher likelihood that the cards would end up in a PCIe 3.0 system.

So where were the PCIe Bus complaints then for 6600 XT ?

Jul 27, 2020
The thing it boils down to is, they are cutting costs and not passing them onto consumers. Doesn't matter if 8 GB is enough or if PCIe lanes are enough, we are getting shafted and there is no reason to be OK with it. Any excuses or justifications in that regard just reek of something fishy.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If I ever find myself white knighting a trillion dollar company. And even worse, playing the victim card for them, because I think members of a particular forum treat them unfairly?

200w.gif

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Pretty wild how Nvidia has managed to have only two cards that make sense as a purchase this gen; the 4090 and 4070ti.

I’m sure they’re all selling though, but those are the only two I think are worth it. In Canada all the 4090s are about $100-$200 less than they were a month or two ago. So they are dropping prices slightly on them. I haven’t seen an official price drop announcement, but all the 4090s are getting cheaper on Newegg here.
$800 is a tall ask for a card that falls off that hard at 4k because of gimped memory bandwidth. If I had the kind of disposable income to buy a $1600 gpu every couple of years I'd pick the 4090 in a second since it has no competition at that performance level but there is nothing else in their lineup I would consider.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I disagree that the 4070 Ti makes sense with only 12 GB. The 4070 makes more sense, as it is way cheaper (and is cheaper per FPS), which makes the low VRAM a lot less bad.
True. When the RTX 4070 TI came out with 12GB for $800, I thought it was a real chintzy move by NV. At 16GB, it would have been a pretty good card - even capable for UWQHD monitors with good frame rates and detail setting. Instead, it a bit of a kick in the nutz.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
True. When the RTX 4070 TI came out with 12GB for $800, I thought it was a real chintzy move by NV. At 16GB, it would have been a pretty good card - even capable for UWQHD monitors with good frame rates and detail setting. Instead, it a bit of a kick in the nutz.
That's the entire product stack this generation except for the 4090 IMO. 16GB would have to be on a 256bit memory bus, which is the 4080. A 4080 at $800-900 would sell like hotcakes. As a side note, I've been curiously watching stock of 4060 ti cards at my local Micro Center. Whatever the reason or combination of reasons, they've only sold about 9 4060 ti cards and they have a floating stock of around 55-60 units available.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That's the entire product stack this generation except for the 4090 IMO. 16GB would have to be on a 256bit memory bus, which is the 4080. A 4080 at $800-900 would sell like hotcakes. As a side note, I've been curiously watching stock of 4060 ti cards at my local Micro Center. Whatever the reason or combination of reasons, they've only sold about 9 4060 ti cards and they have a floating stock of around 55-60 units available.

I think even if the 4070ti would have been a further cut on the 4080, letting the 4080 live on just where it is, and the 4070 was the current 4070ti and so on down the line they'd be in a really solid spot.

That said, I wonder if they are just sandbagging in a down market. They "know" volume will be crap so they are giving us the minimum possible uplift AND tweaking the MSRP lines up to make the most out of the limited volume of sales. I can't fault them for that, but I don't have to "like" it. It sets the bar low for next gen products struggling against limited silicon budgets too.

In the future if it looks like there is a big opportunity to sell in volume, the 5000 or 6000 series can be tweaked to really deliver a lot of value against the current 4000 series cards.

From COVID to Eth to a soft economy we aren't getting many breaks here.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
I would love to know how much L2 or IC you would need to compensate for 1/2 of bandwidth.
I think 32MB extra cache would do wonders for 4060Ti, but that would also mean ~20-25mm2 bigger chip.

What I find interesting is that 4060Ti is only 25% faster at Full HD than RX 7600, but at 4K It's 43% faster.
Both of them have the same BW and similar amount of cache.