Numb3rs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
It was alright. The "hot zone" idea was pretty good. At least you could understand how it worked. I still don't get why they found the killer from the "industrial hot zone". Does he spend a lot of time at work?

He obviously did. He was a one man operation for a catering business. He was no doubt working at the kitchen all hours of the day. Then he came up with his delusions while in the kitchen to kill women. Did anyone notice he's the actor that played Tim Taylor's brother on home improvement? He was the one with the hot wife.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
As a person who has to use high level mathematics on a daily basis at work, I refuse to watch any entertainment that revolves about that theme. :p

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: KLin
It was alright. The "hot zone" idea was pretty good. At least you could understand how it worked. I still don't get why they found the killer from the "industrial hot zone". Does he spend a lot of time at work?

He obviously did. He was a one man operation for a catering business. He was no doubt working at the kitchen all hours of the day. Then he came up with his delusions while in the kitchen to kill women. Did anyone notice he's the actor that played Tim Taylor's brother on home improvement? He was the one with the hot wife.

Yeah, it seems that they got lucky since the killer was some dude who worked a lot. But I guess they did get unlucky due to the fact that the killer also moved recently, so it cancels out. :)

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I finally figured out what was bugging me about the first episode. When they changed the map to two hot zones, the first hot zone did not change. From their description of what a hot zone is, how can going from one hot zone to two hot zones be simply a matter of "adding" another hot zone? Granted, I don't know how his computer program works to generate hot zones, but the mathematics of it doesn't add up. Anybody else get this impression?

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I finally figured out what was bugging me about the first episode. When they changed the map to two hot zones, the first hot zone did not change. From their description of what a hot zone is, how can going from one hot zone to two hot zones be simply a matter of "adding" another hot zone? Granted, I don't know how his computer program works to generate hot zones, but the mathematics of it doesn't add up. Anybody else get this impression?

I think the first one shifted a bit, but was based in the same area.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Tremulant

I think the first one shifted a bit, but was based in the same area.

Dammit, I deleted the episode to save hard drive space. Now I want to go back and check it out again.

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
wasnt impressed either.
didnt know the show was produced by Ridley Scott either....tryin to compete with CSI and Bruckheimer?

the female math student was hot.....she's half indian, half german.

Navi Rawat
Updated Gallery

Tanner

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
I think they missed the mark entirely trying to have a stylish show about Math.

They should've based it on Statistics. Everybody knows statisticians are mad sexy. :)

I would also recommend a show based on Accounting but I don't think the general public could deal with the sheer excitement and raw sexuality that Accounting has to offer. :D

lol

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Is anybody gonna watch this?

As somebody who is pretty good at math (if you'll allow me to indulge myself), I feel that mathematics in Hollywood is so watered down. Movies like Pi, A Beautiful Mind, and Good Will Hunting has disappointed me in how much depth they go into. Even the NOVA show about Fermat's Last Theorem is pretty simplistic. I feel the same way about this new show. I feel like that I'll laugh out loud at some of the math that they'll present, but for some reason I can't help but watch.

EDIT: Thread title changed to conform with CBS's idea of cleverness.

What did you expect out of thsoe movies? A derivation of eular's method?;)

Tanner

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2001
okay, I promise I'll let this die soon....but I'm wondering...

isn't this show based on a true guy who developed an algorithm to find perps??

please advise, esp. regarding a special report on one of the major news stations about the algorithm writen to help police & other officials find perps...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Is anybody gonna watch this?

As somebody who is pretty good at math (if you'll allow me to indulge myself), I feel that mathematics in Hollywood is so watered down. Movies like Pi, A Beautiful Mind, and Good Will Hunting has disappointed me in how much depth they go into. Even the NOVA show about Fermat's Last Theorem is pretty simplistic. I feel the same way about this new show. I feel like that I'll laugh out loud at some of the math that they'll present, but for some reason I can't help but watch.

EDIT: Thread title changed to conform with CBS's idea of cleverness.

What did you expect out of thsoe movies? A derivation of eular's method?;)

Hey, I'd watch THAT show!

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Seems like you're the only one watching it.

Seriously though, the guy who plays the math genius (don't know his name) is one of the most annoying actors out there.

Hey, be nice to Krumholtz. Not only is he the hilarious "Addams Family 2:Addams Family Values"-- "I got your message in my cutlet" but also he was in the jilted boyfriend's posse (along with KG from Tenacious D) in the short lived tv show "Undeclared".

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: binoculaz
wasnt impressed either.
didnt know the show was produced by Ridley Scott either....tryin to compete with CSI and Bruckheimer?

the female math student was hot.....she's half indian, half german.

Navi Rawat
Updated Gallery

Her character's last name on the show is Ramanujan. A reference to the real legendary mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan, most likely.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Tanner
okay, I promise I'll let this die soon....but I'm wondering...

isn't this show based on a true guy who developed an algorithm to find perps??

please advise, esp. regarding a special report on one of the major news stations about the algorithm writen to help police & other officials find perps...

From tvtome.com

Inspired by actual cases and experiences, "Numb3rs" depicts the confluence of police work and mathematics in solving crime.

So most likely, yes: based on a true guy (at least the first episode).