chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Is anybody gonna watch this?

As somebody who is pretty good at math (if you'll allow me to indulge myself), I feel that mathematics in Hollywood is so watered down. Movies like Pi, A Beautiful Mind, and Good Will Hunting has disappointed me in how much depth they go into. Even the NOVA show about Fermat's Last Theorem is pretty simplistic. I feel the same way about this new show. I feel like that I'll laugh out loud at some of the math that they'll present, but for some reason I can't help but watch.

EDIT: Thread title changed to conform with CBS's idea of cleverness.

Jun 19, 2004
Seems like you're the only one watching it.

Seriously though, the guy who plays the math genius (don't know his name) is one of the most annoying actors out there.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Seriously though...did you see how hot that girl math graduate student was? That doesn't happen in real life.

Tanner

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Seriously though...did you see how hot that girl math graduate student was? That doesn't happen in real life.

you like math don't U :D

bawhahahaha...that grad math chick is cracking me up :D bawhahahahahah! :D

that IS some funny stuff :D

didn't the peter jennings special the other night have info on a guy who made an algorithm that could aggregate all sorts of data and select like the top 10 possible suspects?

allegedly the input all this data, ran like one equation or something and it identified as #1 the guy who flew a plane into one of the WTCenters.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
I don't watch TV, but it looks like a hit like all CBS shows (well most of em).

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

Seriously though, the guy who plays the math genius (don't know his name) is one of the most annoying actors out there.

He also played the freak that stabbed Carter(noah wyle) and Lucy(Kellie Martin) on ER. Of course Lucy died.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

He also played the freak that stabbed Carter(noah wyle) and Lucy(Kellie Martin) on ER. Of course Lucy died.

he was also in harold and kumar

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Is anybody gonna watch this?

As somebody who is pretty good at math (if you'll allow me to indulge myself), I feel that mathematics in Hollywood is so watered down. Movies like Pi, A Beautiful Mind, and Good Will Hunting has disappointed me in how much depth they go into. Even the NOVA show about Fermat's Last Theorem is pretty simplistic. I feel the same way about this new show. I feel like that I'll laugh out loud at some of the math that they'll present, but for some reason I can't help but watch.

Considering they're making the show to appeal to a wide audience, why would they make the math so convoluted that only math majors and engineers can understand?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Cisco must have some kind of deal with the networks. Their IP phones show up on this show, the West Wing, and a few movies I've seen. We're supposed to get them at my work in the next few months :thumbsup:

Tanner

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2001
There's a good chance i'm just dreaming this... but isn't this show based on some kind of truth?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

When I finished up my degree in applied mathematics, I was a non-traditional student. There were only a handful of other math majors on campus, including one mid 20's student who was easily the hottest female the campus had seen in years. The two of us had the exact same schedules and quickly became good friends, spending the entire day together, in class, studying, eating lunch or dinner... I think most of the professors and other students thought we were having an affair together (we weren't) I was married at the time and she was engaged. I wish I had kept track of where she was after she got married... I kinda miss talking to her. Maybe I should figure out where she is these days and say hello. Sorry, no pics :)

I still remember going out for lunch with her.. we'd always end up with a male waiter who was practically drooling when they saw her. Some of them were so pathetic!

macwinlin

Apr 11, 2002
I saw the show as well. It's ok plotwise.

At least I have a really good example to tell people of how mathematics can possibly be applied in a real-world application (I majored in applied mathematics).

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: maziwanka
are you watching this so far chuckywang?

what do you think so far?

I skipped it cause I had some homework to do. But I'm getting it now and gonna watch it later. I'll post my thoughts in this thread.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I think they missed the mark entirely trying to have a stylish show about Math.

They should've based it on Statistics. Everybody knows statisticians are mad sexy. :)

I would also recommend a show based on Accounting but I don't think the general public could deal with the sheer excitement and raw sexuality that Accounting has to offer. :D

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
The show needs to be more descriptive of the "math" used in the show.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
What, you weren't impressed by some random integral drawn on a chalkboard?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
It was alright. The "hot zone" idea was pretty good. At least you could understand how it worked. I could probably design some algorithm to find it given some studying.