NSA bugged UN headquarters, listened in on video conferencing

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Why would it be surprising or unsavory for the government to spy on foreign diplomats... That is quintessential espionage.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Further proof that Manning and Snowden are heros.

You have GOT to be kidding ...

How naive can you be? As others have already noted ... and you apparently forgot, governments spy on governments. What really surprises me is that your view is not unique. There are actually others who believe that it is OK to reveal secrets that you SWORE to protect ... and in the end damage the country you "love".

I look forward to the day when Snowden goes to jail.

Don't get me started with that nut-job Manning. What a fucktard.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The real scandal here is that ANYONE is surprised that this happens. Spying on foreign governments actors, and people is the ENTIRE REASON THE NSA EXISTS.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The real scandal here is that ANYONE is surprised that this happens. Spying on foreign governments actors, and people is the ENTIRE REASON THE NSA EXISTS.

Or the other 10 or so other different agencies/branches chartered to do intelligence work.

Governments spy on everybody...a lot.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

No, I am most certainly NOT kidding. Snowden and Manning are heros for telling American citizens how their own government is violating their Constitutional rights.

naive can you be? As others have already noted ... and you apparently forgot, governments spy on governments. What really surprises me is that your view is not unique. There are actually others who believe that it is OK to reveal secrets that you SWORE to protect ... and in the end damage the country you "love".

No, I'm not naive. Regardless of the wrongs our government has done in our name and the lie they have told the American people and in the name of alleged "national security," I think it's pathetic that you would find such behavior acceptable. You sound like you'd be much happier as a happy little peasant quietly and obediently toilng away your life under the thumb of Kim Jong-un or Vladimir Putin.

I've posted for years that I look forward to the day when George W. Bush, Dickwad Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the entire Bushwhacko administration of traitors, murderers, torturers, war criminals and war profiteers is shipped o to a well deserved lifetime vacation at Gitmo.

You don't have half the balls it takes to be as much of a hero as Manning, even AFTER he has his transgender surgury. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005

How naive can you be? As others have already noted ... and you apparently forgot, governments spy on governments. What really surprises me is that your view is not unique. There are actually others who believe that it is OK to reveal secrets that you SWORE to protect ... and in the end damage the country you "love".

How about the fact that its now known that many NSA guys are using the surveillance to stalk ex-girlfriends? Snowden gets props for exposing the NSA for the d-bags they are.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
No, I am most certainly NOT kidding. Snowden and Manning are heros for telling American citizens how their own government is violating their Constitutional rights.

When did these foreign diplomats become American citizens?

Dec 10, 2005

I can see Snowden getting props for speaking out on the NSA's spying on US citizens domestically, but he should have kept his mouth shut on the spying on foreign governments.

On a related note, how did Manning demonstrate that the government was violating our rights?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When did these foreign diplomats become American citizens?

This particular story is part o the larger picture we're getting from Snowden. The more important question is, hen did they stop spying on American citizens?

If you're not outraged by what the NSA is doing, you don't deserve the Constitutional guarantees they're violating.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I hate to tell you this, but these NSA crimes are being carried out by Barack H. Obama, Fuckwad Holder, Uncle Joe Biden and the rest of this Obamination administration. Get with the times, you've got to stop living in the past.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I hate to tell you this, but these NSA crimes are being carried out by Barack H. Obama, Fuckwad Holder, Uncle Joe Biden and the rest of this Obamination administration. Get with the times, you've got to stop living in the past.

I don't think spying on foreign diplomats is criminal in the slightest. It is, in truth, universal & expected behavior, with all diplomats responsible for exercising due diligence to protect sensitive information. That hasn't changed since ancient times, although the methods have.

Holder isn't responsible for the NSA, either, no matter how badly you want to slander the guy.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I love all of the rubes who think that we live in some fairytale land where no other foreign government is doing the same to us. Further, nobody said the NSA just spied on terrorists. Finally, I love how people sit there defending the UN on one hand and call for its defunding for trying to "steal our guys" on the other.

Snowden is just proving that he is nothing more than a lawbreaker and a traitor.

How is this harming US citizens? How is it violating our Constitutional rights? If he had stuck to that, fine, blow the whistle where they are actually, intentionally, and thoroughly, spying on US citizens for no real reason and outside of any oversight.

Yet, this isn't what he is exposing now, is it? He is a little bitch who got run over by the world and has some idealistic viewpoint of it. Like we, the Chinese, and Putin will all sit around the campfire singing little pretty songs and live happily ever after.

What a bunch of naive twats you guys are.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I love all of the rubes who think that we live in some fairytale land where no other foreign government is doing the same to us. Further, nobody said the NSA just spied on terrorists. Finally, I love how people sit there defending the UN on one hand and call for its defunding for trying to "steal our guys" on the other.

Snowden is just proving that he is nothing more than a lawbreaker and a traitor.

How is this harming US citizens? How is it violating our Constitutional rights? If he had stuck to that, fine, blow the whistle where they are actually, intentionally, and thoroughly, spying on US citizens for no real reason and outside of any oversight.

Yet, this isn't what he is exposing now, is it? He is a little bitch who got run over by the world and has some idealistic viewpoint of it. Like we, the Chinese, and Putin will all sit around the campfire singing little pretty songs and live happily ever after.

What a bunch of naive twats you guys are.

I don't even put it in those terms- it's just blind partisanship & spite- Hate-um Obama! They care less about the Country than they care about Beating Obama! any way they can. They'll fight to the end, regardless of the cost-

Think-I-Won.JPG

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

No, I'm not naive. Regardless of the wrongs our government has done in our name and the lie they have told the American people and in the name of alleged "national security," I think it's pathetic that you would find such behavior acceptable. You sound like you'd be much happier as a happy little peasant quietly and obediently toilng away your life under the thumb of Kim Jong-un or Vladimir Putin.

I've posted for years that I look forward to the day when George W. Bush, Dickwad Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the entire Bushwhacko administration of traitors, murderers, torturers, war criminals and war profiteers is shipped o to a well deserved lifetime vacation at Gitmo.

You don't have half the balls it takes to be as much of a hero as Manning, even AFTER he has his transgender surgury. :thumbsdown:
You're slipping, dude. After your normal rant about shipping Bush et al off to life in prison, you forgot to add that you're "not happy" about Obama et al doing the same kind of things at a much more drastic level. Think about your credibility!

tl/dr: Dumbass.

That said, I can't get too excited about this story. Governments spy on each other, period, even on allies, and the UN is far from our ally. I doubt a year has gone by in the last century without something quite similar in scope.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
ou're slipping, dude. After your normal rant about shipping Bush et al off to life in prison, you forgot to add that you're "not happy" about Obama et al doing the same kind of things at a much more drastic level. Think about your credibility!

We don't know about that "much more drastic level", at all. I'm confident that GWB did all he could with the tech available at the time, prior to it being legitimized by Congress. That's what immunity for Telcos was all about.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
This is perhaps the least surprising of Snowden's leaks so far. The NSA spies on foreign governments and their representatives? Well, no shit. They've been doing that for their entire existence, and everyone already knew that. It is pretty much their entire purpose.

This is far less worrisome than their eavesdropping (intentional or otherwise) on AmCits. That's not to say that there won't be backlash.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We don't know about that "much more drastic level", at all. I'm confident that GWB did all he could with the tech available at the time, prior to it being legitimized by Congress. That's what immunity for Telcos was all about.
Hey, who needs reality when you have sweet foamy confidence?

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Spies just gotta spy.

404: Surprise Not Found

Next up: All the spy agencies spy on the other spy agencies.

Oh wait, that's not news at all. We already knew that for the last 60 years or so. How long have they been bugging each others embassies? US embassies built in other countries were even discovered to have spy bugs already built into the walls by the foreign contractors building the buildings. So the UN can't exactly bitch and moan too hard about being spied on by the US.

Just a few examples:

http://www.spybusters.com/Great_Seal_Bug.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/20/world/deal-made-on-bugged-us-moscow-embassy.html

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hey, who needs reality when you have sweet foamy confidence?

So, uhh, why did we get Telco immunity retroactively, anyway?

I don't recall anybody like Snowden coming forward at that time, either.

Reality? Bush exceeded the mandate of existing law, while Obama & Congress are complicit in the situation today. Constitutional issues are undecided.

I suppose that's why HOR Repubs are busily repealing the ACA over & over rather than passing a bill to curtail NSA abuses, huh?