NRA in turmoil, gun manufacturers going bankrupt, Thanks Trump

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If there were 10 million guns in America for hunting and target shooting; I think I'd be okay with that. But, a gun for ever man, woman and child in America (300+ Million) is absurd. Totally fvcking absurd.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Don't much care about the NRA, and not real concerned about a company making a bad stock decision. Doesn't seem like the beginning of the end to me.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Seems kind of funny to me...when "that negro" was elected, people couldn't buy guns fast enough...either because they thought he was gonna take their guns away, or...well...

Now that there's a gun-friendly white guy in office, guns aren't selling fast enough?

abm.thumb.gif

20160627_obamagunsaleshistorical.JPG

https://www.businessinsider.com/smith-and-wesson-obama-was-good-for-gun-sales-2015-8?r=UK

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
All those guns bought during the Obama administration will last for decades if taken care of. A lot of them were well packed and sealed up and buried in case of a tyrannical administration. How many more guns will those people need? Not many.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
All those guns bought during the Obama administration will last for decades if taken care of. A lot of them were well packed and sealed up and buried in case of a tyrannical administration. How many more guns will those people need? Not many.
trump being a tyrannical president you would think they'de be up in arms, BUT NOOOO, they suck up to trump.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
trump being a tyrannical president you would think they'de be up in arms, BUT NOOOO, they suck up to trump.

Agreed.

So weird that the only folks stocking up on survival supplies and upgrading their armories are those that actually see Trump as the existential threat that he is.

Those survivalists and twitchy 2A guardians who are feeling all warm, fuzzy and relaxed now that Trump is in charge have dropped their guards down when in fact they should be all the more wary and alert for something really bad to happen now that Trump has shown how utterly unstable he is as a person, let alone as the purported "most powerful leader in the world".

Reactions: Pohemi

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I am a little surprised more democrats aren't becoming gun owners in this time of Trump. If any leader in our history demonstrates our need to keep the Second Amendment in the constitution, its Trump. He insults his opponents, attacks the media calling it "fake news", creates manufactured crises (only he can solve), villianizes foreigners; all implements of the dictators playbook. He probebly hasn't read 1984, but he's following it's "teachings".

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Good fucking riddance to the NRA. What started as a noble venture has turned into fearmongering and propaganda.

This.

Originally intended to buttress rights, the NRA has become a fraud an enemy of democracy. That they allowed themselves to be infiltrated by the Russians and now find themselves in a pickle like the traitor Trump should be the final nail in that coffin. Good riddance indeed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The death of the NRA would be one of the few good things to come out of Trump’s presidency.

It is kind of funny though that the various gun nuts on here used to say they were going to go donate to the NRA when people criticized their position on guns. If they actually did that it turns out the people running the NRA just stole their money, laughing all the way.

I keep trying to tell conservatives that no liberal has ever had more contempt for their intelligence than the conservative leaders they follow.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I am a little surprised more democrats aren't becoming gun owners in this time of Trump. If any leader in our history demonstrates our need to keep the Second Amendment in the constitution, its Trump. He insults his opponents, attacks the media calling it "fake news", creates manufactured crises (only he can solve), villianizes foreigners; all implements of the dictators playbook. He probebly hasn't read 1984, but he's following it's "teachings".

Except as we have said again and again the Second Amendment and the ability to own small arms will do next to nothing to protect you from a military with drones that launch tomahawk missiles, and trained solders with military equipment.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I think it's because there's still hope that the Trump regime will be deposed in 2020 through democratic means. They might change their tune if the Republicans start taking particularly drastic measures to fulfill their dreams of permanent one-party rule.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think it's because there's still hope that the Trump regime will be deposed in 2020 through democratic means. They might change their tune if the Republicans start taking particularly drastic measures to fulfill their dreams of permanent one-party rule.

I doubt it will happen even then. Violence and paranoia is not a natural fit for the left. I think much more likely is organization into massive protests. The left has been doing some light experimentation with that in the last few years, and I think that we just about have what it takes to put together daily protests in the tens of thousands, with occasional protests in the millions.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the way that op-ed is written -- it's hyper-partisan in the same way I don't like, say, a Fox News rant or many Breitbart/Daily Caller propaganda stories. But there is that core nugget of truth amidst the hyperbolic language.

The NRA appears to be a microcosm of modern American right-wing politics. It thrives on political kickbacks, rampant greed and a willingness to sacrifice basic ethics in the name of power. And right now, those self-destructive patterns are finally finally eating the NRA from within.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I doubt it will happen even then. Violence and paranoia is not a natural fit for the left. I think much more likely is organization into massive protests. The left has been doing some light experimentation with that in the last few years, and I think that we just about have what it takes to put together daily protests in the tens of thousands, with occasional protests in the millions.

You're likely right. I just think there would be an eventual breaking point -- say, if Republicans effectively made it impossible to democratically remove them from office.

Large-scale protest might be the best option... make it clear that most Americans don't support the Republican push for autocracy.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As I look at American life today in search of some overarching way to define it, one theme jumps out at me and it is that there is a contest or a struggle going on between various culturally different groups to preserve their sense of dignity in the presence of change these entities perceive threaten their traditional hierarchical standing. In other words, people in our country today, who once felt their personal sense of self importance buoyed by the culture they identified with, and the privilege and standing it conferred, owing to an accelerating exposure, contact and competition with a far more diverse and far more media exposed real world, have had that formerly insular sense of self confidence shaken that they are the center of the world, that their way of life was of universal significance.

And all of this is because people suffer from a mental illness everywhere, that stripped of what they were conditioned by their culture to hold in high regard, they are worthless.

Thus all issues that make up the American experience today revolve around preserving or instantiating values that are worthless, that preserve the hubris of ego. The gun issue is just one example. It isn’t about guns, but the value we attach to ourselves if we belong to gun culture or ‘get rid of guns’ in our culture. Which of these utterly valueless self identifications is the one that should convey real self respect?

If you have an answer, you’re nuts, but only in my opinion. There is a whole different way of looking at the world and, in my opinion again, it makes issues like this disappear. I have a really big issue to deal with right now and it’s that I need to go buy milk.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Except as we have said again and again the Second Amendment and the ability to own small arms will do next to nothing to protect you from a military with drones that launch tomahawk missiles, and trained solders with military equipment.
Actually having small arms did made the Resistance effective against Nazis during WWII. Why do you think the US went out of the way to provide them with to those fight them?