Now this is displacement!

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Reminded me of this for some reason...

Also, I can't believe that's how those ships are launched! When I saw the first video, I thought something had gone wrong and it was sliding toward the water by mistake. I guess as long as nothing binds up, it's a sound way of doing things. I would have thought there was some sort of ramp with rollers or something which would allow ships that big to go bow-first into the water. Cool vids.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
11.gif

55.jpg

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Reminded me of this for some reason...

Also, I can't believe that's how those ships are launched! When I saw the first video, I thought something had gone wrong and it was sliding toward the water by mistake. I guess as long as nothing binds up, it's a sound way of doing things. I would have thought there was some sort of ramp with rollers or something which would allow ships that big to go bow-first into the water. Cool vids.

I would have expected that those slides would go down into the water but maybe they need it to drop off like that to make sure that the boat doesn't hit or get stuck on something? Either way, it's impressive.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Many people just don't think about water displacement. We're speed limited to 9.5 knots coming into the Hudson River and Biscayne Bay because of the waves that reach the shore. Faster means larger waves which cause excessive erosion.

In Miami in particular the waves coming in on a perfectly calm day are impressive. I'd imagine at 15 knots there would be some flooding on the streets. :eek:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Many people just don't think about water displacement. We're speed limited to 9.5 knots coming into the Hudson River and Biscayne Bay because of the waves that reach the shore. Faster means larger waves which cause excessive erosion.

In Miami in particular the waves coming in on a perfectly calm day are impressive. I'd imagine at 15 knots there would be some flooding on the streets. :eek:

Do you still work on the princess cruises?

Nov 7, 2000
is anyone sure that rising sea levels are not due to global warming but rather increased number of huge sea vessels?

(jk, but not entirely)

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
No I never worked for Princess.

Imagine four of those and that's our engine room!

Interesting, still using piston and crank arrangement, I thought turbines were the norm for that type of (large) power needed to propel an 700+ foot vessel..