Now that NDA is over, how do you really feel about bulldozer ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How do you feel about bulldozer's results ?

• It was everything I expected!

• OMG, how did AMD screw up so bad?

• I am at a loss for words.

• I feel betrayed, and will now buy a intel product.

• This is all a trick, AMD has a secret patch coming!

• I am perfectly fine with my current AMD system, I rather go AMD for my next build, but, not anymore.

• Ugh. Well, there is still ARM or VIA, right?

Results are only viewable after voting.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I've usually bought AMD in the past, but there's just no way to polish this turd. It's an utter and complete disaster. :(

Redshirt 24

Jan 30, 2006
If I had to pick one word, it'd simply be disappointed. Not all the way over at

orthegirldies.jpg

but simply

evalunapart3pic1.jpg

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
I buy intel exclusive . Because I believe they are the Tech leader so I support them .

Walmart is another issue. I small town . Since early 60s 5 mall areas have been built. The downtown went into decay and all but Walmart are losing money . Mom and pop stores closed threw out the USA . Malls are bad for America but easy on foolish 1 shop customers. Who destroy their own communities buying into big business . Small business works Big corpurations destroy the competion. But when it comes to many products big works . but there is still a price to pay. I won't shop walmart either

LOL Wat. If you don't know the word 'throughout' then I seriously doubt you're any older than 12.

Manoa

Oct 8, 2011
what AMD really needed to do with Bulldozer is make the first core a thuban core and then add a few BD modules with as much space as was left

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I can't help but think that the L3 is completely worthless on these things
regardless of workload or desktop/server situations ...

These are some rough calculations I did from the image in the review and the assumption there are 2B transistors total:

modules: 27.67% 553.38M
L2: 16.00% 320.19M
L3: 12.66% 253.28M
Other: 43.67% 873.40M

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008

Worse than I was expecting - very sad for consumers since this means Intel will continue to own the CPU market (unless AMD sells BD to OEMs for pennies on the dollar).[/QUOTE]

Im looking for an $89 dollar OctoCore AMD can you deliver??? If they can price these suckers down down down, they could find a nitche. Im talking athlon pricing here.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I just don't think regular people are going to need or want 8 cores in their computer for the foreseeable future.

4 cores seem like more than enough to me for a desktop computer.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Im looking for an $89 dollar OctoCore AMD can you deliver??? If they can price these suckers down down down, they could find a nitche. Im talking athlon pricing here.

Doubt they can deliver that, isnt the die size on these things huge? Thatll keep costs pretty high i imagine.

Aug 11, 2008

I agree. Why would someone totally refuse to buy from a particular manufacturer regardless of the product vs their competitor.

I can see leaning toward AMD because you want to give them support, but to categorically refuse to buy from Intel just makes no sense.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
This might break AMD once and for all. Huge chip thats slower than phenom and way slower than intels chip half it's size (at least half it's cost)? GL AMD you'll need it.

Oh and with no one left to sue and nothing left to sell cash flow will be a huge issue if you're not selling lots of CPUs.

Last edited:

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
honestly, i'm not surprised. that's the cost of forward thinking. i'm certain later iterations (provided software catches up) will shine. for this current batch, if they can adjust prices accordingly, they might be able to stay in the game.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Not surprised.
No NexGen for AMD to buy (alongside a new CPU architechture)...so they will just fill the role they have filled most of the time...under Intel's performance.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
so are people still saying i make up stuff? :\

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Well, while I feel bad for AMD, I do feel good about my own purchase of a core i5-760 that I bought just before SB came out. Saw several articles that showed it OCing to 4Ghz easily and that's what I have it now and it works great. I did read the article at Xbitlabs comparing it to an X6 OC'd to 4Ghz as well and opted for the Intel. What I don't get is that AMD had to know how this would be tested and compared and they did nothing about it.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
What I don't get is that AMD had to know how this would be tested and compared and they did nothing about it.

AMD had already canned the first Bulldozer in the design phase, I don't think they could backtrack a second time when things weren't turning up roses with the current BD design. They were probably just hoping for better clocks and lower power use on GloFo's 32nm process - it just didn't work out for AMD in either case. IF the 8150 debuted with a 4.2 GHz stock clock and 4.8GHz turbo, reviews would have been more favorable. Tough luck for AMD.