NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 984 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ronin has the best car chase scene but the movie as a whole was mediocre which is why few people remember it today.
Same as Bullitt.
You ever actually watch that thing all the way thru?
Its really not good.
Agreed. I never saw Bullitt until 2015 and the famous vaunted car chase scene was IMO very underwhelming. Well, it's a really old movie and most of those haven't aged well. There's stuff that looks awful now.

I did make this note in 2015: "Has some unique stuff, especially the hospital scenes, in particular the operating room stuff, which was pretty realistic, infinitely more so than you would see in almost every other fiction movie. "

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
SEVEN OUT OF TEN?!
Like... SEVEN? Did you miss a minus sign?!
Goodness Gracious.

At SEVEN MINUTES in, I had determined that I was not going to watch any more episodes, but me and herself were comfy of the couch, and I couldn't reach the remote, so I was willing to let the next 36 minutes slide. Then they bring in THE GEEKS (a subset of which I have been a proud life long member), but they are the "TV-land writer doesn't know what a geek is" kind of geek. And the s%!t they talk in 90 seconds is... atrocious. At exactly 10 mins, I threw my OH from the couch so I could find the remote, and I actually turned the TV off, in case it was like some form of virus.

I watch TV. I watch A LOT of TV. "The Ark" is just about the worst thing I've ever seen.
I actually find your review of this juvenile dumpster fire to be remarkably kind.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FORGOT TO TELL YOU GUYS!

History of the World Part 2 is out and it sucks donkey balls. Other than narration and a shitty joke cameo at the very beginning, it has no Mel Brooks and I doubt he even knew what was going on. It feels exactly like a Hulu series made for Nick Kroll should feel which is complete garbage. I feel sorry for anyone who finds this disaster even slightly amusing. Its awful. I recommend everyone pirate the first episode, watch half, and delete it as soon as they are bored.

0/10

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6 and Pohemi

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Ronin has the best car chase scene but the movie as a whole was mediocre which is why few people remember it today.
Same as Bullitt.
You ever actually watch that thing all the way thru?
Its really not good.
Agreed. I never saw Bullitt until 2015 and the famous vaunted car chase scene was IMO very underwhelming. Well, it's a really old movie and most of those haven't aged well. There's stuff that looks awful now.

I did make this note in 2015: "Has some unique stuff, especially the hospital scenes, in particular the operating room stuff, which was pretty realistic, infinitely more so than you would see in almost every other fiction movie. "
i had never seen bullitt when i caught a pbs segment with charlie rose interviewing 2 guys about steve mcqueen. one was an actor or director, the other was some probably film studies guy who went on effusively on how great mcqueen was and how bullitt was revolutionary as it was developed by mcqueen's production company back in the studio days where it was big wig executives calling all the shots. i think 'work of art' was called. they covered the chase scene but didnt go into much depth.

so i went around assuming the movie had some merit for a few years, until i caught pbs playing a remastered copy latenight in the late 2000s.

the movie is unwatchable my modern tv/film storytelling standards. to be fair a ton of 60's and 70's stuff is equally afflicted by the slow pace and lack of urgency in the editing. bullitt has huge stretches of quiet scenes with no background music, weirdly lit sets, locked camera medium shots during dialogue where you would want to be close ups (possibly might have been mitigated by cinemascope 70mm theatre screen), brooding silent characters doing nothing with the cinematography not adding any information doesnt work with today's sensibilities. it is 113 minutes but feels like 3 hours. it was very much influenced by 60's french movies but i dont know that they were doing it correctly.

this was possibly outside the norm in 1968 when it was made, so it may have been avant garde to hollywood movies back then but it just doesnt work for modern audiences.

as someone who grew up in the bay area, the movie is a fascinating as a time capsule of stuff i saw as a kid and things that no longer exist.
the movie isnt for anyone who know the geography [the car chase started in north beach, moved to the presidio, and ended up in pacifica 15 miles away in 3 minutes of screen time] but that probably applies to any movie set in a real location.

as former law enforcement, the movie is fascinating as an example of protocols/procedures for sfpd (who supposedly consulted mcqueen). there are things in there that make me cringe, partially because i have no clue how accurate it is because sfpd did their own thing separate from POST training.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, I think I may have mentioned it years ago but I could not find it on a search:

Primary Colors is fucking amazing and gets more relevant as time goes on.
10/10 Everyone needs to see this movie. Not just Americans but Canadians and Britons as well.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FORGOT TO TELL YOU GUYS!

History of the World Part 2 is out and it sucks donkey balls. Other than narration and a shitty joke cameo at the very beginning, it has no Mel Brooks and I doubt he even knew what was going on. It feels exactly like a Hulu series made for Nick Kroll should feel which is complete garbage. I feel sorry for anyone who finds this disaster even slightly amusing. Its awful. I recommend everyone pirate the first episode, watch half, and delete it as soon as they are bored.

0/10
...ouch

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Golden Compass - Nicole Kidman is perfect as villain. The plot moves, the characters engaging, it’s a pretty movie. Sam Eliot reprises his role from The Big Lewbowski. 9/10

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i had never seen bullitt when i caught a pbs segment with charlie rose interviewing 2 guys about steve mcqueen. one was an actor or director, the other was some probably film studies guy who went on effusively on how great mcqueen was and how bullitt was revolutionary as it was developed by mcqueen's production company back in the studio days where it was big wig executives calling all the shots. i think 'work of art' was called. they covered the chase scene but didnt go into much depth.

so i went around assuming the movie had some merit for a few years, until i caught pbs playing a remastered copy latenight in the late 2000s.

the movie is unwatchable my modern tv/film storytelling standards. to be fair a ton of 60's and 70's stuff is equally afflicted by the slow pace and lack of urgency in the editing. bullitt has huge stretches of quiet scenes with no background music, weirdly lit sets, locked camera medium shots during dialogue where you would want to be close ups (possibly might have been mitigated by cinemascope 70mm theatre screen), brooding silent characters doing nothing with the cinematography not adding any information doesnt work with today's sensibilities. it is 113 minutes but feels like 3 hours. it was very much influenced by 60's french movies but i dont know that they were doing it correctly.

this was possibly outside the norm in 1968 when it was made, so it may have been avant garde to hollywood movies back then but it just doesnt work for modern audiences.

as someone who grew up in the bay area, the movie is a fascinating as a time capsule of stuff i saw as a kid and things that no longer exist.
the movie isnt for anyone who know the geography [the car chase started in north beach, moved to the presidio, and ended up in pacifica 15 miles away in 3 minutes of screen time] but that probably applies to any movie set in a real location.

as former law enforcement, the movie is fascinating as an example of protocols/procedures for sfpd (who supposedly consulted mcqueen). there are things in there that make me cringe, partially because i have no clue how accurate it is because sfpd did their own thing separate from POST training.
Yeah, as I watched it I knew for sure I'd never want to see it again.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oh, I think I may have mentioned it years ago but I could not find it on a search:

10/10 Everyone needs to see this movie. Not just Americans but Canadians and Britons as well.
Mike Nichols directed this Elaine May screenplay adapted from the 1996 bestseller by "Anonymous" (Joe Klein), who fictionalized Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign.

Just put a hold on the DVD at my library.

Mike Nichols and Elaine May is a combo that AFAIK is a guarantee to be really interesting to put it mildly.
Woody Allen declared, “the two of them came along and elevated comedy to a brand-new level".[2]

Last edited:

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
  • Love

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
HEY GUUUUYYYYYYSSSSS!!!!!!

fJhHveh.jpeg

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Last of Us was fantastic. It's awesome how closely they kept it to the game including very specific scenes, lines, and camera angles. It's pretty unreal to think that game came out a decade ago. People who haven't played it or didn't play it at the time don't understand how revolutionary it was at the time. It was one of if not the very first game to be extremely cinematic and movie like, with character depth we've never seen before in a video game. And to be able to port it over to a show was very incredible.

I can't wait for season 2 and I strongly recommend those that watched the show but not play the game, if you don't go out and play them, do not read up on season 2 and spoil anything for yourself.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

so i watched Primary Colors - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119942/reference/

it was good, but not 10/10 good.

presidential hopeful Jack Stanton goes on the road for his presidential campaign. His talented campaign team struggle with the ups and downs of this charismatic but flawed man, and the continuous curve balls they get throw at - infidelity, drug use, lies, crime, and a shady past.
Let me say straight away that this is *the same film* as The Ides Of March; and while this came 13 years prior, if you have not watched either, i would recommend you watch the Ides instead of this.
Primary Colors is a .. well made film. There's tons of really good cinematography, but this is clearly a 1990s film in the way that it's structured. The script doesn't rely as much on few, well placed powerful acting performances, but rather just tells a story. Nothing wrong with that and i will gladly rate this film 7.7/10 but Ides is just a better in the same niche.

Goes without saying that Kathy Bates fucking knocks it out of the park.
John Travolta was ok, but he is a good casting for his character, which in turn is an interesting character, because he never admits "behind the scenes" of being any different than he is in front of the cameras.
Black Protagonist (Adrian Lester - hasn't done anything else) was good but the film frequently loses focus of him; which .. it's a bit of a problem, when you're the protagonist.

The production was really good. I almost forgot what's like to have a photographer being able to frame a fucking scene, the dialogues are ok, but again, very 90s, very far from any hyperrealism, but when you see a scene of 5-6 character watching TV, and you can actually tell who each character is, well that seems to be an art lost to time.

Good film. Would not recommend. Watch instead The Ides Of March (7.9/10), which isn't perfect either, but you will remember it. Or watch both, i'm not the film police.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Most recently watched Enemy Mine (1985). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I'd give it a 6/10, not comparing it to newer sci-fi but of sci-fi of the day.
*sobs in Drac language*

dude this is a good film. Yeah ok the production has some issues, but looking past those, there's both a good story well told, really good acting from Luis Gosset Jr, and some of the visuals are still great - although maybe not all of them.

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
*sobs in Drac language*

dude this is a good film. Yeah ok the production has some issues, but looking past those, there's both a good story well told, really good acting from Luis Gosset Jr, and some of the visuals are still great - although maybe not all of them.
good yes which is why I gave it above 5 star average rating (imho).

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I felt the nostalgia factor and i watched

Alien Nation (1988) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094631/reference/

which i felt, never got the recognition it needed.
James Caan stars in what is a cop film with a lick of paint, the paint being that there's aliens around now, and they got a drug that Mr Bad Guy wants to make a ton of money from.
You got every element of cop films, some Dirty Harry, some .. well, i mean, James Caan was his own brand of cop films.
An all-together well made film that isn't afraid to get dirty in the Noir section, but also doesn't shit the bed in the SciFi department.
Leslie Bevis - Captain Rionoj from Star Trek DS9 - has a *smoking hot* scene as the seducer Cassandra, and who cares if they stole the scene from Blade Runner. The whole film is made up of stolen bits anyway.

7/10 - with the warning that, it hasn't aged well, in photography, at least.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alien Nation has aged phenomenally if you pay attention to the message about society and immigration and all that stuff.

------------------------------

Something I never noticed until tonight: Fingers and Mean Streets are almost the exact same movie. The only difference is Harvey Keitel can play piano in one of them.
Also, neither movie is as good as I remember. You can see real talent from Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro, but the films themselves aren't so great overall. Definitely flicks for fans only.
If you really wanna see Keitel at his absolute best, Bad Lieutenant is the mother of all tragedies.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The Last of Us was fantastic. It's awesome how closely they kept it to the game including very specific scenes, lines, and camera angles. It's pretty unreal to think that game came out a decade ago. People who haven't played it or didn't play it at the time don't understand how revolutionary it was at the time. It was one of if not the very first game to be extremely cinematic and movie like, with character depth we've never seen before in a video game. And to be able to port it over to a show was very incredible.

I can't wait for season 2 and I strongly recommend those that watched the show but not play the game, if you don't go out and play them, do not read up on season 2 and spoil anything for yourself.

I agree, it was great. Last episode had over 8 million viewers, so season two should be a go. I just hope that they add more episodes this time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I agree, it was great. Last episode had over 8 million viewers, so season two should be a go. I just hope that they add more episodes this time.
Yeah I don't think it was a 10/10 season 1 but it was close. My main gripes would be...

1. It felt rushed. We had 2 full episodes which weren't in the (initial) game. The one with Bill was completely not in the game, and the one with Riley was DLC that came out after the game had been out. I never played it myself, only the full game. I don't think both of those episodes deserved full episodes. If they had cut that part of them in half, we could have had more Joel and Ellie time. Their relationship felt a bit rushed especially in the final episode IMO. I think part of playing the game is you spend all this time together (game is like 15 hours long) and you build that relationship over time. You also have them battling infected/clickers together the whole time, getting better as a team at it, and we never saw this in the show, which brings me to my second criticism...

2. There were not nearly enough infected. The world basically felt like it had been cured and was too safe. I mean they crossed the country and we didn't even get any interactions with infected other than very early on. We barely got ANY of it. I don't know if HBO gave them a set time limit or what and they felt they didn't need to show more, but this kind of ties into the first point in that there just wasn't enough time to get that point across more, of just how unsafe the world is. As mentioned above, Joel and Ellie build their relationship together fighting these creatures and we didn't get to see any of that really.

Had the show been like 10-12 episodes they could have added all of this and then I'm guessing those criticisms would have been a moot point. But as someone who played the game I think most who played it would agree about these 2 points.

But those who didn't play the game and this is their first exposure to it, they may not even notice any of it. I do really feel like the moment where Joel actually feels as though he's Ellie's dad and she feels as she's his daughter, felt super rushed and we really only got it in this last episode after she was traumatized with her David incident.

Reactions: soulcougher73

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah I don't think it was a 10/10 season 1 but it was close. My main gripes would be...

1. It felt rushed. We had 2 full episodes which weren't in the (initial) game. The one with Bill was completely not in the game, and the one with Riley was DLC that came out after the game had been out. I never played it myself, only the full game. I don't think both of those episodes deserved full episodes. If they had cut that part of them in half, we could have had more Joel and Ellie time. Their relationship felt a bit rushed especially in the final episode IMO. I think part of playing the game is you spend all this time together (game is like 15 hours long) and you build that relationship over time. You also have them battling infected/clickers together the whole time, getting better as a team at it, and we never saw this in the show, which brings me to my second criticism...

2. There were not nearly enough infected. The world basically felt like it had been cured and was too safe. I mean they crossed the country and we didn't even get any interactions with infected other than very early on. We barely got ANY of it. I don't know if HBO gave them a set time limit or what and they felt they didn't need to show more, but this kind of ties into the first point in that there just wasn't enough time to get that point across more, of just how unsafe the world is. As mentioned above, Joel and Ellie build their relationship together fighting these creatures and we didn't get to see any of that really.

Had the show been like 10-12 episodes they could have added all of this and then I'm guessing those criticisms would have been a moot point. But as someone who played the game I think most who played it would agree about these 2 points.

But those who didn't play the game and this is their first exposure to it, they may not even notice any of it. I do really feel like the moment where Joel actually feels as though he's Ellie's dad and she feels as she's his daughter, felt super rushed and we really only got it in this last episode after she was traumatized with her David incident.

I agree on all as some things did feel rushed and not enough infected, but the third episode deserved the whole episode. That was one of the greatest love stories I've seen told in just over an hour on tv or in a movie ever.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

I didn’t play the game, but might now. Pretty sure it’s a freebie on the PS5. My only complaint of the show is that the infected were barely seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.