NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 962 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020
First two Andor episodes could have been condensed together. Things get interesting from the 3rd episode. After EP04, I am interested to see more.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Life of Pi, a very close to perfect movie: every scene beautiful.

Spoiler, no, really.:
The last ten minutes were not necessary, IMHO, leave it a fantasy.

10/10

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i wasn't as impressed. TBH i cannot put my finger on why i didn't like it - aside from the tiger's CGI looking horrid, there was something about this film that didn't work for me. Again, even though everyone agrees the ending is bad, like Edge Of Tomorrow, i don't think it "ruins the film".

Jul 27, 2020
there was something about this film that didn't work for me.
I understand. I recommended this movie to a movie fanatic and he stopped asking me for any further recommendations because in his opinion, this movie was utter and complete crap. He lost all confidence in my ability to judge a movie.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Smile - 7/10

It was a bit different than I expected. It was definitely slower than I expected. I also expected more violence. It had some stuff that initially I thought was really dumb but then things happen that made it okay. It has some pretty creepy stuff in it though for sure.

I was hoping for something a bit better from this but it was still pretty good to me. Definitely better than that trash Barbarian.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
White Lotus season 2 is quite a bit of fun so far.

Just started Amazon Prime's gangs of London the other day, It's nothing too special but it is entertaining. Definitely better than pure predictable action fare like the terminal list . And the overall rating depends upon what the whodunit reveal is.

After writing this, this episode just got really good of gangs of London. This is keeping me on my toes, on episode 5.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is a laundry list of things wrong with the movie where the plot simply makes absolutely no sense. The decision making in the movie is about as stupid as it can get. Then we have the main villain who is laughable and just so much wrong with it, and does things that defy both physics and gravity lol. I'm surprised you did not touch on any of that.

I do agree with the cinematography and stuff. The first act was the best, especially the first few minutes of the movie.

The movie up right until about 5 seconds before we are introduced to Justin Long's character was good even though there had already been some really REALLY stupid decisions and things going on in the movie. From that point on it just oh so terrible and went downhill though.

Almost every horror movie invokes stupid decisions. Even the best…
Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Audition
The Exorcist

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah it just doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. I've seen it at Redbox a bunch and pass every time.

It was OK, nothing very memorable or original. Wacky action-flick hokum. As if they threw every hit-man caper plot-line they could think of into a pot and stirred. And put the result on a train.

Wouldn't say you were missing anything by not seeing it, but it's watchable.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Almost every horror movie invokes stupid decisions. Even the best…
i agree, and more.
I will once again repeat that i had my eyes opened by the brilliant youtube video which is called (pay attention to the title) "Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With - The Cabin In The Woods".
No this is not a "Everything Wrong" video. As a matter of fact, it picks apart the ignorance of the people who crank out that garbage channel's content.

One of the points they contend is that, making stupid mistakes isn't just a common trope in horror films, it's necessary.

Awesome video below. If you are a fan of CinemaSins, you may want to look away.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I posted a while ago about Enterprise. I've been watching season one and it's really not bad. I'm curious to see where it started going downhill.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Source Code - 8.5/10
I really enjoyed this movie. The plot, the characters, the action and the pace of the movie all was great. I really can't think of much to complain about, but I also wouldn't say it was the best movie I have ever seen. Overall it's just a lot of fun and an enjoyable movie to watch.
Saw Source Code in 2011, here's my note to myself:

Jake Gyllenhaal in this. Sci fi, preposterous, but not without its appeal. It's kind of a Groundhog Day 30 years later for the digital age. Michelle Monahagn was just hot hot hot! I guess they told her to turn on the flirt and boy, did she! Phenomenal! Not sure how rewatchable it is, figure I can check it out again, didn't watch the extras yet, I am curious but I was right at the wall in terms of hitting the sack, completely!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i agree, and more.
I will once again repeat that i had my eyes opened by the brilliant youtube video which is called (pay attention to the title) "Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With - The Cabin In The Woods".
No this is not a "Everything Wrong" video. As a matter of fact, it picks apart the ignorance of the people who crank out that garbage channel's content.

One of the points they contend is that, making stupid mistakes isn't just a common trope in horror films, it's necessary.

Awesome video below. If you are a fan of CinemaSins, you may want to look away.
Also saw Cabin in the Woods in 2011. Thought it sucked to the max. My note to myself on it:

Saw last night. WTF, OK, that was intentional, but myself, I gotta think Joss Weedon has kind of lost it. No, he's not Aaron Sorkin. He did do the TV Serenity series, Firefly, and I liked that a lot. Not as much as West Wing, but that's a different thing entirely. To say TCITW is preposterous is too gross an understatement. Summed up, 5 college kids (yeah sexy, good looking, athletic more or less), go out to a cabin in the woods and it turns out it's under surveillance to put it mildly. Absurdly so, oh, well, why try to explain this, the explanations online do it fine I suppose. I wasn't really into it and the premise of evil demons from the ancient past needing to be appeased by sacrificial rituals is just too much for me to stomach. Get real!

• Haha

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also saw Cabin in the Woods in 2011. Thought it sucked to the max. My note to myself on it:

Saw last night. WTF, OK, that was intentional, but myself, I gotta think Joss Weedon has kind of lost it. No, he's not Aaron Sorkin. He did do the TV Serenity series, Firefly, and I liked that a lot. Not as much as West Wing, but that's a different thing entirely. To say TCITW is preposterous is too gross an understatement. Summed up, 5 college kids (yeah sexy, good looking, athletic more or less), go out to a cabin in the woods and it turns out it's under surveillance to put it mildly. Absurdly so, oh, well, why try to explain this, the explanations online do it fine I suppose. I wasn't really into it and the premise of evil demons from the ancient past needing to be appeased by sacrificial rituals is just too much for me to stomach. Get real!

Really? I thought it was a clever parody (or maybe we have to call it a "deconstruction"?) of the genre. Quite funny in parts.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

Yes i was 100% with you when i first saw it - and then, i saw that video.

In my defense, i have zero knowledge of horror films, i think the whole list reads "those two George Romero films, then Triangle and The Ring".

.. i gotta say Muse, it's not clear from your post if you did watch the video i linked.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes i was 100% with you when i first saw it - and then, i saw that video.

In my defense, i have zero knowledge of horror films, i think the whole list reads "those two George Romero films, then Triangle and The Ring".

.. i gotta say Muse, it's not clear from your post if you did watch the video i linked.
No, I did not watch the video you linked before posting my 2011 comments about TCITWoods. I'll do so, however.

Um, I have little interest in horror films, however I've watched a few. Of course, that first George Romero film is so so classic. The ultimate zombie film, and I've seen it a few times. NOTLDead. I don't recall seeing the sequel.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
No, I did not watch the video you linked before posting my 2011 comments about TCITWoods. I'll do so, however.

Um, I have little interest in horror films, however I've watched a few. Of course, that first George Romero film is so so classic. The ultimate zombie film, and I've seen it a few times. NOTLDead. I don't recall seeing the sequel.
By now i hope you have sat down to that video and you see the world in a different way.

Speaking of ZAMBIES MOVIE, pretty much all the early films were classics, even if they were radically different from each other.
NOTLD is a character-based drama. The zombies themselves little to no danger, but it's the sheer inadequacy of the character at dealing with the situation that is the real threat.
Honestly i think this is a brilliant film, because rightfully if there was a zombie apocalypse, there would be very little katana action and lots of crying in a corner - it's just the way humans would react to such a monstruous entity.
DOTD is also fantastic - in both the original, US cut, and the butchered Italian cut (yes, you gotta see this).
This focuses more on the survival aspect rather than the personalities of the characters, although there is a notable interplay between the two. DOTD wants to drive home the point that it's not only that you'd be fucked because you cannot cope with AN ACTUAL ZOMBIE, but also because if you could, you would still need to cope with the world around you having collapsed.
ermm.. there's a few more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films

Reactions: Muse

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Not a big fan of zombie movies except maybe Z. Oh, and I loved Z Nation, mostly. The whole concept of a zombie messiah I thought was genius but they probably stole that from somewhere else. Not sure why exactly, but I sort of lost interest toward the end.

I was a serious fan of The Walking Dead initially but the recycling of plot lines got annoying. They did eventually break out of that to some extent with the Negan arc. Then I sort of disliked the idea of zombies apparently appearing out of nowhere with no warning like they had access to localized wormholes.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is, quite possibly the DIRECT OPPOSITE of every other review/opinion on this show.

He was just talking about the first episode, and I tend to agree. I stopped watching midway through that and only started again a few days ago.

It's actually an amazing show and really the only good thing Disney has done with Star Wars (next to Rogue One, of course). But the first episode...eh, you have to really be into it from the off, I think.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Star Wars is also fantasy. it isn't anywhere close to Sci Fi.
I think the main diff between scifi and fantasy can be hard to delineate but here's my criterion.

Every story starts out in world with certain characteristics. Some will seem familiar and reminiscent of real life. But others cross into an area we would consider magic. As long the "magic" seems to follow those rules, mostly, I think they should properly be regarded as actual, physical aspects of that universe.

The problem comes when the writers try to pull things out of their ass that have not previous foreshadowed. It doesn't have to be undeniable, in your face foreshadowing. But it does have to feel like something that could easily be a previously undisclosed aspect of that universe. And of course, that's largely subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.