NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 948 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020
They better make She-Hulk a long running series. Her being a lawyer should make it very easy for them, unless they are retarded and choose not to hire a decent writer.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Blade runner 2099 got green lighted as a limited series for Amazon prime. Ridley Scott's production company, Scott Free, will produce it.

Hopefully there aren't any black people in it cuz then it will suck.

Cautiously optimistic for how this comes out.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched the pretty damn good The Messenger - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790712/reference/

which some good soul has put in full on YouTube.

You may or may not appreciate this film.
A portion of the film deals with the relation between the two primary characters, Woody Harrelson - the senior soldier, now assigned to notifying Next Of Kin of the death of soldier, and Ben Foster, newly assigned to the same; Ben is more .. young, still wanting to prove himself as a soldier by killing stuff, Woody is cynical and just trying to navigate the pain of life.

The film is peppered with the scenes of them reporting the death, and each is a setpiece, and the supporting actors do a *very* good job.
In addition, you get cutaways of "normal life" which serve to separate these scenes so you don't get any "white noise" effect.

This takes up about half the film, with the second half being foreshadowed in the first half, when Woody says " you do not touch the Next Of Kin ".
Unfortunately, Ben touches the next of kin.
This bring sabout a conflict between Woody and Ben; as the film progresses, Ben is the HERO, while Woody is the failed man. Harrelson sticks to his guns as he shifts from protagonist to sidekick, and the film makes sense throughout, without any massive bumps in the story. It could use a slight cut of about 20m from the 1:50 runtime, but director Oren Moverman - who serverd in the army - uses the time pretty well. There's also Steve Buscemi who kills it like he does in anything he's ever played.
Production is decent, camerawork is decent. This film is really about acting and there's plenty of it here.

You may not love this film because, frankly, the scope of the plot if limited. It's more Deer Hunter than anything else, but unfortunately, less focused. It's a display case for acting scenes, with a farily semplistic underlying story, that you - as the viewer - may question why it's important to be shown.

All in all, a good film worthy of your time, but nothing like A Few Good Men.

My vote: 7/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Another pleasant surprise, Three Thousand Years Of Longing - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9198364/reference/

starring, pretty much, exclusively Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. Yes there are other actors, but they are only short vignettes in the story.

Tilda is science-woman. She finds magic bottle and SHAZAM! Idris is now magic-man, in the form of a bona fide arabian Djinn.
Tilda now must decide on three wishes. The catch is that she *must*, but she is hesitant because of 1. science causes confusion when meeting big glowy shapechanging mystical demigod, and 2. she knows stories and is rightfully wary of falling into some Twilight Zone trap.
The majority of the film is .. well, essentially a version of Arabian Nights, but with the Djinn narrating various vignettes as to how be spent the last - titular - three thousand years.

Marvellous, soothing performances by both leads - although i have to say, Tilda, WHAT'S WITH THE ACCENT. There is a brief epilogue to the film that is mostly unnecessary, but inoffensive.

Good film - did like. Plenty of "modern" visuals (think Dr Strange or Inception) without them making a mess of the screen. Would recommend.

7.5/10 - essentially, just a love story.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a pretty damn boring film,

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179025/reference/

in French (no dubs), directed by Luc Besson, and starring nobody in particular.
If you liked the colours of The Fifth Elements, but hated all the charm of the actors, THIS is the film for you.
Adele is a Indiana Jones -styled archeologist; in a world were magic .. just kinda exists, she wants to bring back to life the mummy of the pharo's doctor, so he can cure her sister, comatose from a violent tennis accident.
Yep.
There is also a subplot of the person who is to actually do the mummy-resurrection-thing, that gets taken to jail because he accidentally resurrects a pterodactyl. And the goofy police chasing after said creature.
You may for a minute think that "goody" thinks FUN, and you would be very, very wrong. Aside from the graces of the lead, Louise Bourgoin , there is very little charm to anything in this film. The characters are all forcibly grotesque, there is an overabundance of prosthetics and fake beards & moustaches, and CGI even.

If you are reeally, really a fan of Besson you may want to watch this, but it's not a film i would recommend. It's got the sense of pacing and action that a film aimed at children would have. Who knows, maybe if you got kids, they would love it - dinosaurs, talking mummies .. yes, they probably would.

For me, juuust barely 6/10, more like, idk, 5.7/10

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm 55 and still think it was meh at best. :)

I'll go a step farther.... I'm 58 and I thought it was straight-up bad. (it was a struggle not to turn it off)

If Marvel movies like this were the first ones released the entire concept of "superhero" movies would have flopped on its face.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
AAH, early Bill Paxton role. I miss that guy.
what about punk #3: Brian Thompson of x-files (alien bounty hunter), Cobra (nightslayer), mortalkombat (shao khan)
MV5BMTcyYTRkZGMtYjg4OC00YTI5LWI3MzAtOWMwOThiNzRiZTlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
although i have to say, Tilda, WHAT'S WITH THE ACCENT.
Coz she's British and even in the movie, lives in UK?

I'm curious about your explanation for the "genius" girl's outbursts. How can she even think of never again wanting to remember the Djinn that gave her so much? Are geniuses ungrateful? Her above-average intellect rendered her incapable of rational thought?

And wow. Morbidly obese people can totally walk in all their natural glory. Somehow, didn't seem all that distasteful :eek:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Coz she's British and even in the movie, lives in UK?

I'm curious about your explanation for the "genius" girl's outbursts. How can she even think of never again wanting to remember the Djinn that gave her so much? Are geniuses ungrateful? Her above-average intellect rendered her incapable of rational thought?

And wow. Morbidly obese people can totally walk in all their natural glory. Somehow, didn't seem all that distasteful :eek:
Early life[edit]
Katherine Matilda Swinton was born on 5 November 1960 in London, the daughter of Judith Balfour (née Killen; 1929–2012) and Sir John Swinton (1925–2018), the Laird of Kimmerghame House. She has three brothers.[4] Her father was a retired major-general in the British Army, and was Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1989 to 2000. Her mother was Australian.[5][6][7] Her paternal great-grandfather was a Scottish politician and herald, George Swinton, and her maternal great-great-grandfather was the Scottish botanist John Hutton Balfour.[8] The Swinton family is an ancient Anglo-Scots family that can trace its lineage to the Middle Ages.[9] Swinton considers herself "first and foremost" a Scot.[10]

To clarify what i mean by this, for this film she puts on a very particular accept that is tied to a very specific region of the UK, which 1. she wasn't born in, 2. her parents weren't born in, 3. she has no significant ties to.
In other words, NOT her own accent.
.. and ..
she plays a character from london. Who lives in london. Who works in london. Why the fuck would she need to sound like Jodie Whittaker.

It's like if you're watching a Robin Williams film where he plays a new yorker who speaks with a distinct Texas twang, without any explanation as to why, and no relevance to the story.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
she plays a character from london. Who lives in london. Who works in london. Why the fuck would she need to sound like Jodie Whittaker.
Jodie Whittaker doesn't sound like she's from London? I don't have an ear for their various regional accents. To me, they almost all sound British, except the ones that sound Irish/Scottish (me mom, me daaad etc. ).

Jul 27, 2020
nooooop.

It's a good film, you should watch it. It's a love story, but it's well acted, and it's visually pleasing as well. It's no Pretty Woman, but hey, it can pass the time.
I did already. It was nice. Very well made. That's why asked you about the "stupid" genius girl the Djinn was in love with.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
what about punk #3: Brian Thompson of x-files (alien bounty hunter), Cobra (nightslayer), mortalkombat (shao khan)
MV5BMTcyYTRkZGMtYjg4OC00YTI5LWI3MzAtOWMwOThiNzRiZTlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg
ahh.. Krycek in xfiles.
i cant believe they killed him off.
thought he was going to live forever, like CSM but with more and more body parts missing. :tearsofjoy:

so the actor is dead? :eek:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I did already. It was nice. Very well made. That's why asked you about the "stupid" genius girl the Djinn was in love with.
woman are weird, didn't you know?

i watched .. get your keyboards ready and drink a cup of angry ..

Shaun Of The Dead - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/reference/

and honestly i think it sucks.
Please know that Hot Fuzz, ALSO directed by Edgar Wright and ALSO starring Nick Frost and Simon Pegg, is one of my fav films, and while not perfect, i would recommend it to anyone.

But not Shaun.
I find that .. oh dear. The setup is way too long. There's a couple of funny things, like the records scene gets a few chuckles, but the script relies too much on "character A has a discussion with character B about THIS feeling" - which is fine on its own, but all that they need to do is get to the point where Shaun says "lets go to the winchester". If the script is going to set up the idea of Shaun being too childish to be in a relationship, BUT ALSO be a comedy, then set it up in a less serious, less grating fashion.

Then Shaun goes to the Winchestrer, and aha, the ladies will see what a hero he is.

Then they decide to have some .. how to say .. "comical"? .. action scenes. Like beating the zombie while circling around it.

To circle back on the "characters having emotions" thing, the much better film The End Of The World, while again at nowhere near the level of Hot Fuzz, has much better character interaction, because they dont repeat stuff that doesnt need repeating, doesnt have stuff thats redundant, gets to the point with a proper buildup, and has a script that is tied to these interactions. It's just that SOTD does it badly.

It was a cute one-off film when it came out, but it's long since been eclipsed by Hot Fuzz, and all in all not a good watch if you've ever seen it before. Edgar Wright's brilliant photography in Hot Fuzz is also mostly absent in Shaun.

would not really recommend, when there's better options.

My vote: 6.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
a friend has me watching through Firefly. I tried once already but it proved impossible.

Jul 27, 2020
man, if you like Firefly, you would loooooove Doctor Who*.
Except they didn't do Firefly to death. And after the commercial failure of the movie Serenity, there is little hope that Disney will remake/reboot it. But you never know. Based on huge number of views on Disney+, they might change their mind...

If anyone here posts on a Firefly fan forum, please put in a request to those fans to start viewing at least one Firefly episode daily, in an infinite loop until Disney is convinced to do something with it.

Regarding Dr.Who, I don't think I can get into that. I've found most British stuff to go above my head.

Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Except they didn't do Firefly to death. And after the commercial failure of the movie Serenity, there is little hope that Disney will remake/reboot it. But you never know. Based on huge number of views on Disney+, they might change their mind...

If anyone here posts on a Firefly fan forum, please put in a request to those fans to start viewing at least one Firefly episode daily, in an infinite loop until Disney is convinced to do something with it.

Regarding Dr.Who, I don't think I can get into that. I've found most British stuff to go above my head.

Dr Who is campy fun. I still like Tenant's Dr best. I doubt there is going to be any more Firefly. It's been too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.