NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 947 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Terminator (1984) (not rated)

I'm only about half way thru but damn, given the limited tech of that dark epoch we euphemistically call "the 80s," this was one kickass movie. Pretty much the entire first half is just one long, "run for your puny life human" montage. Even watching it again now, it's still pretty stressful. And if the Governator is remember for anything, it would have to be this movie.
Terminator is cited as one of the archetypal "griping" movies because it embodies the rollercoaster experience that theater movies do best. tons of fast action with brief moments to catch your breath all done in almost real time on screen(ie no massive timeskip between scenes or parallel action) so there is no point at which you can think the characters are in a safe spot where you can tune out attention-wise and not miss something important. [Diehard, 3 Days of the Condor also follow the formula]

tv series are more of a nfl football experience, where you tune in weekly to see something interesting but the big narrative of how the season plays out is the draw. movies get into trouble when they try to tell stories that are too big for 90 min - 2hrs. that's why Dune has to be split up.

[/armchair film studies pontification]

Reactions: pmv and Charmonium

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i'm 2/3's of the way through.

- Holy copy cat plot Batman!
Instead of X-wings, you have F18s.
Complete with their version of using the Force

- Why is the backup plane still on the carrier instead of in the air in case one of the main planes get in trouble?
you know.. to act as backup??
Hell, why arent the rest of the Topguns in the air to act as backup?

6/10 for this part
Finished it.
Holy.. the Milf is Jennifer Connelly??

No idea who she was till I saw the end credits.

Now for the last 1/3 I knew I had to do suspension of disbelief.

I knew Mav was going to be in a dogfight vs those 5th gen fighters.

But I didn't expect the plot twist.

Then I really had to suspend disbelief.
That enemy pilot seems like he knew what he was going with his 5th gen fighter.
Yet Mav was able to get behind him???

That fighter should have run rings around Mav.

Overall, I give the movie 7.5/10

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Re-watched the Bourne trilogy, but considering I last watched them as a kid, and vaguely remembered anything about the plot it felt like a first time viewing.

It's a solid 9/10 for the entire series. The films feels very authentic, not sure how else to put it, maybe it was because it was still shot on film. The cinematography and action scenes were just mind-blowing, car chase from the first and foot chase in Morroco in the third are the stand outs.

Reactions: deustroop

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Watched Feathers of Fire last night. The movie is a straight recording of a live theater shadow play, based on a Persian story. The visuals are excellent as is the music. The weak point is that the voice acting is annoying and distracting. I think with a few more visual and musical cues, the story would be completely understandable with no spoken words at all. 7/10

Also, if you're in Dallas, this might be worth checking out:

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Chef's Table: Pizza E01 Netflix 7/10

Just saw the first episode featuring Chris Bianco. Very interesting story of his quest for quality food, and getting the best ingredients for his pizza. Makes me want to visit Phoenix just to try it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Saw "Elvis" on HBOMax the other day and while I am not really a fan of Presley I thought the movie was excellent. The actor Austin Butler really nailed the part. And Tom Hanks was really loathsome to watch, which is a good thing because the character was supposed to be loathed. 9/10

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, I thought Thor was a goofy douche in this movie. Didn't care for it at all.
That is kind of the entire point of the movie. Thor was being a douche and Jane was the hero in this movie, and it took that to make Thor realize he was being a complete ass. It was Thor's redemption arc.

I also think this story was aimed at an older audience then the rest of the MCU. This feels like it was aimed directly at an audience that gets the 80's/90's references that this movie borrows so heavily from and has been through a midlife crisis. As such a person I thought the movie was probably exactly as funny as Taika probably thinks it is.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
When I first saw the trailer for the latest Thor movie I legit thought it was one of those fan made fake troll trailers. I had no clue it was real until I saw it on TV and was like WTF? Movie looks so terrible.

Reactions: soulcougher73

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
That is kind of the entire point of the movie. Thor was being a douche and Jane was the hero in this movie, and it took that to make Thor realize he was being a complete ass. It was Thor's redemption arc.

I also think this story was aimed at an older audience then the rest of the MCU. This feels like it was aimed directly at an audience that gets the 80's/90's references that this movie borrows so heavily from and has been through a midlife crisis. As such a person I thought the movie was probably exactly as funny as Taika probably thinks it is.
I'm 55 and still think it was meh at best. :)

Jul 27, 2020
However the 20 and 21yo people I went with, loved it.
Maybe we are just old. In the last few Marvel movies I saw at the cinema, I noticed that young people started laughing before I even understood the joke. Maybe they should give us a fair warning in the subtitles, "Old people, joke incoming!".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Something in tech? Chip design?
medical assistance. I am not a doctor, i work for an insurance. In this case, i was arranging medical transport, ambulance, Air Ambulance, pass medical notes between UK and foreign doctors, and pay for all the above. Yday and before were both 13h shifts. It's cool, my team likes and respects me, and i like my job and my team.
You know a movie is bad if its free on youtube.
naaah?
What about KUNG FURY !

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, i watched the awful

Diablo - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4076760/reference/

considering how incredibly talented daddy Eastwood is, you'd hope some of it rubbed off on baby Eastwood.
And, in a way, it did, but not the way you'd hope.

First off, Scott Eastwood THINKS he is Clint Eastwood, and tries to mimic him without any of the grit or charm, resulting in what could possibly pass for a parody if he wasn't so damn serious about it.
The plot, or at least, 95% of the plot, is the same ol' boring western where HERO is much better at everything than everybody else, because HE'S BEEN WRONGED.
He does some shooty stuff, gets hit but doesnt die, is cured by the Indians who he just spared the life of the kid five minutes ago - what a coincidence - and then gets his revenge(tm).
And i think there's like a 5% of the plot where he's a ghost or some shit, but by god this film was ghastly. Nothing can help, not even Danny Glover or Walter Goggins.

5/10

• Haha

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

After watching it the other day with the wife, I thought it was aimed directly at 10 year olds.

It had a few chuckles, but was overall pretty weak IMO and my least favorite Thor movie.

Although I really haven't like many of the latest Marvel movies / shows, so maybe I've just had my fill at this point.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.