NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 859 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i know youze guize haven't got much sympathy for Tennat's Doctor Who, but it was sooo good. Yeah ok it's got the fake rubber monsters, that's not the point.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i know youze guize haven't got much sympathy for Tennat's Doctor Who, but it was sooo good. Yeah ok it's got the fake rubber monsters, that's not the point.

My ex was a Dr. Who fanatic and she was in love with his Doctor Who. Quite certain she said he was the best one.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
My ex was a Dr. Who fanatic and she was in love with his Doctor Who. Quite certain she said he was the best one.
the earlier seasons, with Ecclestone and Tennant, were a fortuitous combination of good stories, quality dialogue, top notch acting, great supporting characters, and great music. For some random shit program that you get for free on the BBC, doctor who was AMAZING.
Obviously a good bit of suspension of disbelief was needed. And there was some filler.

Kamijou Touma

Sep 8, 2019
Tenki no Ko 9/10
Kimi no Na wa 10/10
Tonikaku Kawaii. 9/10

I am a big watcher of anime. I guess my username shows that.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
on the watchlist
Lesbian Vampire Killers
Hot Property
Nobody
Outside The Wire
The Marksman
Equinox (tv)
The Black Dahlia
Yokohama BJ Blues
The Ritual
Palm Springs
John Dies At The End
Riders Of Justice
The Courier

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Nobody ?

I reviewed that gem a few days ago. A Shoot'em Up ( my favorite genre) to which I gave a very good score. With deep regret however I can't give anywhere near the same score to

The Marksman.

Now I am a happy fan of Liam Neeson one of the last aging action heroes still standing but not, I fear, for long, if this turd is any omen. I cannot advise " do not bother with it " if, like me, one is a fan of the genre and/or the star but I will anyway, based largely on the lamest plot I have had the pain to experience in weeks and its violation of two canons of modern cinema script writing.

"Nuff said.

Bury it.

4.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Nobody ?

I reviewed that gem a few days ago. A Shoot'em Up ( my favorite genre) to which I gave a very good score. With deep regret however I can't give anywhere near the same score to

The Marksman.

Now I am a happy fan of Liam Neeson one of the last aging action heroes still standing but not, I fear, for long, if this turd is any omen. I cannot advise " do not bother with it " if, like me, one is a fan of the genre and/or the star but I will anyway, based largely on the lamest plot I have had the pain to experience in weeks and its violation of two canons of modern cinema script writing.

"Nuff said.

Bury it.

4.5/10
you have saved me time.
I would move both scores a bit towards the middle, but the idea is the same.

PSA: do not cast someone who looks old and tired, in the part of someone who is old and tired. If you do, you don't need a movie.

Nov 20, 2009
Ride or Die 6.0 Not a bad opener if you want to see excellent blood-covered boobies of a pretty fake-Japanese actress.
Wasp Network 6.0 Docudrame about Fidel's infiltration of Cuban American organizations that sough to disrupt Cuba's tourism trade and make a meaning negative impact on their economy.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
I can vouch for Nobody and The Courier. Just seen them. Nobody is a poor man's John Wick and The Courier a spy drama. Both a 7/10.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Coming 2 America 2: 4/10

I watched excepting it to be dreadful and while it exceeded my expectations it still isnt good. I just don't really see a point to the movie other than a quick cash grab. It's disappointing that most of the movie does not take place in America. Eddie Murphy's character was basically a non factor, it could've been played by someone other than Eddie Murphy and would've still been the same. His character is not funny or entertaining in the slightest. It's like they just totally missed the point on what made the 1st movie good and tried to make some half assed feel good story with some underlying agenda being pushed.

Reactions: Captante

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i wound up watching *none* of my watchlist and instead watching Soldato Di Ventura - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073726/
on youtube, for free. In the original Italian.
I'm not even sure if a dubbed version exists. Tbh you'd be lucky with subtitles.

While not a Spaghetti Western, it still shares some aspects with that style, and given that Bud Spencer stars, conflicts are resolved through the typical comical fake violence that's always associated with his character, though, far less here than in any later films. In fact, while there's comedy, this is a pretty darn sad film.
The story is of the Challenge Of Barletta, where a snail-eating frog dared to offend the honor of the brave Italians, who got very pissy and decided that it had to end in a personal battle, thirteen versus thirteen, which we then (miraculously) managed to win. Keep in mind that at this time (early 1500s) there was no actual government called "Italy" and italians were notoriously bad at war, so, not really sure why they got all offended in the first place.
But, the thing happened, we won, yay. National pride n'all that.

Now, Soldato Di Ventura does not try to be historically accurate. They just took the typical Bud Spencer trope of "big guy stronk, bonk ppl on head" and stuck it in this particular scenario.
Bud Spencer is Ettore Fieramosca, mercenary, who - insulted by the French army - must find and assemble thirteen brave Italian knights to defend their national honor. Once again, he finds various scoundrels, thieves, gamblers and madmen, and through the magic of MAMMAMIA, they turn into a formidable fighting force and defeat the darn froggies.

.. i grew up with this film. I caught it originally when i must have been maybe 8 years old, and it struck me, hard. There is a quiet streak of melancholy underneath the comedy that hits hard. Even in the end, we are reminded that victory is only temporary, and defeat is inevitable.

Did i mention that italians are 76% PURE FUCKING DEPRESSION by body weight?

Despite this seeming like just another cheap italian very-forgettable production, it's got a whole bunch of scenes that, to me, are absolutely memorable. YMMV, and in this case, i expect it to. But hey.

7.5/10 - excellent, despite some shortcomings.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ford v Ferrari - I wasn't expecting too much from this movie but I like the two lead actors and figured it might be a fun romp, and wanted something to test out some new speakers with. And that's what it was. Was a fun couple hours. Got me reading into the history of the actual race and rivalry a bit as well. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: Captante

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mortal Kombat - 10/10 - movie FUCKING OWNED!

I loved everything about it. If you aren't playing or know about the current games, some character design may be like WTF to you.

But god damn it was awesome! Loved everything about it and it got me hype multiple times.

Only downside was the sound on HBO Max was some shit compared to bluray. I'll buy it on bluray whenever it comes out though and give it another watch.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mortal Kombat (2021) - IMDb 6/10 @ HBOMax.
So and so cast of characters, same premise as the past movies/video game. Expect more action, fight choreography not so good. Disappointed.
It was a reboot. It wasn't a 3rd MK movie. So that's why it had the same premise as the past movie/games. I mean each game is a tournament about Mortal Kombat so I'm not sure why you'd expect something different. It also was using current MK games for lore not just the OG games like the OG movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.